Changing wheels on lowered van

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Changing wheels on lowered van

Post by mariner »

Hi all. I’m considering changing the standard steels on my van for alloys. As the van has been lowered does this affect how large I can go on the new wheels? I’m currently looking at a set of 18” on gumtree that has taken my fancy. I’m not necessarily planning on going this big but as the van was lowered by the previous owner, I’m not sure by how much, I figure this is something I need to take into account.

Also, what is best to do about the spare? Most sets seem to be sold as four and I’m assuming if I increase the wheel size there’s no point traveling with a 14” steel underneath!

Thanks for any advice.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Re: Changing wheels on lowered van

Post by shepster »

In theory whatever size wheels you fit the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination should be the same as the original.

Just use any tyre/wheel calculator to work out what size tyres you need for an 18" wheel.

As for the spare, if the new wheels are the same overall diameter as the original the standard spare will be ok.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I gather you meant the overall wheel/tyre diameter being the same?

Anyway, a lowered van on 18" wheels with tyres with a low enough profile to have the same rolling radius as standard would very probably be a very harsh ride and awful to drive. I know from experience, because I get to drive a few.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

So having had a look, it seems that the nearest to a match I can find in common tyre sizes is 215/55R18 against a 205/80R14 on the steel spare (1.5% difference in circumference). The handling would be unpredictable, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

mariner

Post by mariner »

Hi guys
Thanks very much for your advice, its really helpful. Don't think I'll go as big as 18'' but good to know about that upsizing to some degree shouldn't be a major problem. Thanks for the advice on the spare as well - if I've read it right it seems it shouldn't be a problem to keep it as long as the rolling radius matches that of the new wheels (although 18'' seems too big for this mind).

Thanks again and let me know if I'm off the mark!

crazydiamond
80-90 Mem No: 173

Post by crazydiamond »

Well I changed to 7.5 x 16 Mercedes Toliman alloys with 215 60 16 tyres and it rides and handles better than the standard setup. Gearing is almost identical and the old 2litre Aircooled works well with it. It looks "right" as well.
1982 2 litre Aircooled Devon
1988 2.1 Syncro ex ambulance
Member 173 and Syncronaught 10

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

I have Scorpio Cosworth wheels ("16')' with 255-55 tyres fitted, that is the size that was on the van when I bought it so when I replaced the tyres I got the same size, never driven another van so have nothing to compare it to, it was also lowered 2'' and stiffened up by Brickwerks by the previous owner does not like potholes as it crashes a bit but other wise very happy with it
Nil carborundum illegitimi

daisyt25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by daisyt25 »

I`ve got 18s on my autosleeper high top, standard suspension(so far) running a 225/40/18 and to be honest it rides real nice and handles well no body roll etc,I am going to for merc talisman 16s though because they look really good with a nice bit of lowering

mariner

Post by mariner »

So I’ve spent a few weeks keeping my eye out and could do with a bit of advice.

Have seen a couple of sets I’m interested in but they haven’t previously been on a t25. If anyone has a chance to look at the links below I’d be interested to know how easy it would be to fit these to a t25. If I buy a set and they then need the bolt holes boring, spacers and a refurb I’m going to find myself in trouble with the other half, who despite my best efforts doesn’t seem too enthused by my hunt for new alloys :D

https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-ty ... 1285621331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-ty ... 1285576995" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mariner

Post by mariner »

Okay, having got a bit of a steer from elsewhere I’m starting to understand a bit more about stud patterns! :oops:

Seems the bbs and the Montreal are both 5x100 whereas t25s are 5x112. Is it possible to increase the bore size on these wheels without too much fuss (expense)?

I’ve seen videos on YouTube of people doing it themselves with a hand drill but think I’d go professional!

Cheers

shepster

Post by shepster »

The first link are 100 pcd which is no good, you need 112x5 with an offset between 30-39.

The second I would say will be the same.

look for Audi, Merc or some F*rd wheels, the PCD on a lot of these is correct so that's half the battle.

The front grease caps are big on our vans so not many wheels will clear them so that's another issue, one of easiest to fit are Merc ML wheels, you will still need longer studs in the back and either longer bolts or a stud conversion for the front.

Try to avoid wheels with good tyres because they will almost definitely be under sized for a van and you'll end up buying new ones anyway.

shepster

Post by shepster »

Don't even consider opening out the holes that's asking for trouble, however it is your van and I won't be going in it!

There are loads of wheels that have the correct PCD so find some of those to start with, ideally get the correct offset so you don't need spacers but quite often you will only need a 5-10mm one which is quite acceptable.

Avoid the sh*t copies and try and find some original wheels from Merc, Audi etc, these vans are around 2 tonne in weight don't forget so even though you may get something made in Inky Pinky land designed for a VW Bora to fit imagine going over a pothole in your fully loaded camper.

All the above is only advice so feel free to ignore but just stop and think about safety for a minute.

I run old Ford Granada wheels on mine and 2 mates have Merc ML wheels on theirs so I have some experience of getting them on.

Cheers.

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks both, that is all really useful advice and I won’t be going near the ones I mentioned above!

Slowly building my knowledge (and confidence) in what to look for and have a couple of quick questions if you can help.

Most wheels are advertised with the pcd but how do I find out if it’s the correct offset or needs spacers? I assume this will also dictate the need for longer bolts or not?

I’m looking to put on 16 inch and most of these come of hatches. I’ve spotted some Audi alloys with the correct fitment that are off an A3. Would something like that be ok with the correct load weighted tyre?

Thanks again for any help - think I might put a shout out on the wanted and see if anyone has any lurking in the back of the garage!

shepster

Post by shepster »

If the offset isn't stated ask the seller, for fitment without spacers it needs to be between 30 and 39.

Having said that the width of tyre will affect fitment as well, its all about clearing the top ball joint at the front and allowing the rear door to pass at the rear.

My Grannie wheels have an offset of 37 so fit without spacers, my mates ML's are 42 I think so require a 5-10mm spacer to bring the offset down ( I know it's confusing) think of it as how far the wheels 'stick in' from the hub rather than out.

What you can't do is ADD some on, so if you see wheels with an offset of 10 they will always stick out too far.

Like I say there are a lot of wheels about, I think there are some Merc Tolimans for sale on the 80-90 FB page, they're quite popular.