New 2E3 carb replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

farquhar_john
80-90 Mem No: 0

New 2E3 carb replacement

Post by farquhar_john »

Hello, Apologies if this has come up somewhere else, but a search didn't find exactly what i was looking for. Plenty of answers for carb issues but not about new ones from this supplier.

I am having a problem on my T25, which seems like it an issue with the carb, possibly the choke. It starts fine, but once warm it has a tendency to stall / cut-out once you back off the throttle.

I don't have time to look at it and the garage has suggested that the time taken to sort out the specific problem in the carb it would be cheaper to get it refurbed or a new one.

It looks like refurb starts at around £200, but could be more if needs re-bushing etc..

the weber replacement seems to be about £400, but I've found this one for £280 https://www.vwheritage.com/025129015-ca ... e-vw-spare

has anyone used it or heard anything about it? Apparently made in Brazil.

Many thanks in advance

John

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: New 2E3 carb replacement

Post by AngeloEvs »

Why not confirm if it is a fault with the choke before replacing the carburretor? It is very easy to remove the auto choke and take it for a test drive to see if that cures the problem.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

farquhar_john

Post by farquhar_john »

Many thanks for the reply,

OK will ask mechanic to try that next week(if he hasn't already). I'm not sure exactly what he's done so far to come up with the diagnosis of choke problem, but they have replaced the choke thermostat (which I believe is a bimetalic strip) but that changed nothing.

Cheers
John

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Timing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I've sent you a pm which might solve the stalling problem. Good luck.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Steve at Gasure has said he has fitted loads and they are fine.

As said it may well be something else but you have to trust your mechanic.

A decent rebuild from Bromyard is 400 quid, by all accounts don't bother with webber.

If you do buy the replacement make sure you keep your old carb and don'tlet the garage skip it, it's worth money as it is.

farquhar_john wrote:Hello, Apologies if this has come up somewhere else, but a search didn't find exactly what i was looking for. Plenty of answers for carb issues but not about new ones from this supplier.

I am having a problem on my T25, which seems like it an issue with the carb, possibly the choke. It starts fine, but once warm it has a tendency to stall / cut-out once you back off the throttle.

I don't have time to look at it and the garage has suggested that the time taken to sort out the specific problem in the carb it would be cheaper to get it refurbed or a new one.

It looks like refurb starts at around £200, but could be more if needs re-bushing etc..

the weber replacement seems to be about £400, but I've found this one for £280 https://www.vwheritage.com/025129015-ca ... e-vw-spare

has anyone used it or heard anything about it? Apparently made in Brazil.

Many thanks in advance

John
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

farquhar_john

Post by farquhar_john »

Thanks for all your help,

I'll go and have a proper talk through with the mechanic as to what's been done tomorrow.

If it looks like t is most probably the choke Think I'll go ahead and get that one from VW Heritage.

Good advice on keeping the old one.

Again many thanks to everyone

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

" the garage has suggested that the time taken to sort out the specific problem in the carb it would be cheaper to get it refurbed or a new one."

It sounds like your mechanic doesn't want to split the carb. It's a doddle to do, and rebuild kit is readily available. Probably just a tiny bit of muck somewhere. Split it, clean it, blow everything out, put new gaskets in, refit it, adjust it. 99% sure that'd fix it for £100.
Fitting new for a tiny fault seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and you're buying the sledgehammer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Thats why you are fully booked for months and his mechanic isn't.

]
ajsimmo wrote:" the garage has suggested that the time taken to sort out the specific problem in the carb it would be cheaper to get it refurbed or a new one."

It sounds like your mechanic doesn't want to split the carb. It's a doddle to do, and rebuild kit is readily available. Probably just a tiny bit of muck somewhere. Split it, clean it, blow everything out, put new gaskets in, refit it, adjust it. 99% sure that'd fix it for £100.
Fitting new for a tiny fault seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and you're buying the sledgehammer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

And make sure you retain the old carburettor so you can refit if you need to.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Agree with Andy. They are a doddle to regasket - honest. Unlikely you'll have wear in throttle shaft but if so get in touch with Roger Ball who does the most accurate rebushing I've ever come across. Image

Give it a blast with airline throughout, fit new gaskets and hey presto ;)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.