Ignition lock and switch

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

freckvan1
80-90 Mem No: 8492

Ignition lock and switch

Post by freckvan1 »

Well here goes, my first posting this year, got to get better after this!
Relatives left me with this bl...y Aussie Flu/runs/etc..

Was away over Christmas, so left van parked up with front up against garage door.
Turned wheels on full lock as a deterrent and removed key, all seemed ok.. :D

Came back to van, inserted key, waggled steering wheel and turned key to release lock.
Steering wheel and wheels back in straight ahead position, then turned key to next position, very little if no resistance (unusual) warning lights all on, tried to start and nothing.

Just had another attempt and I now get the impression the steering lock is not as it used to be, that is always had to waggle steering wheel and turn key to release the lock, now key and lock don’t appear to be engaging.
Also no resistance at any stage of turning the key to firing position.
The lock will come on, but a lot more play in it than before.

Does this mean the steering lock is now knackered and I need a new lock barrel?

Hope everyone’s had a good Christmas and all the best for this year!

Chris ( now major investor in Lemsips and Jamiesons!) :ok
1984 1,9DG. W/C

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Ignition lock and switch

Post by Aidan »

so if you remove the key and turn the steering wheel does the steering lock engage ?

the spring pressure you feel when turning the key is a lot in the ignition switch itself but there should be mechanical detent interlocking felt in the key barrel, I haven't got one off a van I can have a feel of but there are clear positions and the key should spring back to run from start if you release it

freckvan1

Post by freckvan1 »

Thanks Aiden,

Received new switch today from Brickwerks and then removed Steering Wheel, plugs, leads,etc..

When I came to release the 8,-mm bolt securing ignition switch casting I installed key and tried gently to turn key and enable casting to be withdrawn.

Had no joy in pulling casting up and off, however on manoeuvring casting discovered the “spring” had returned to key and switch!
Assembled all back together and yippee everything now as it should be! :D

Atb,
Chris :ok
1984 1,9DG. W/C

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Now you have a spare ignition switch to carry with you, a very useful thing to have :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

freckvan1

Post by freckvan1 »

Well here’s an update.

Since switch being sorted, van powered up fine, had a good run, stopped couple of times and switched off.
After half hour or so, both stops, powered up fine, no problem, drove home, parked up, posted on here all’s fine and dandy.

Today tried to fire up, same as original problem, dashlights ok, no fire on key. Key had plenty of spring and returned when released.

So removed Steering Wheel,plugs,indicators,etc.,removed ignition casting this time came off. I immediately noticed as Aiden says, two slots/indents on steering column.
These two slots where in vertical position, whereas they should be horizontal to column, so turned column lined slot up to key lock, put casting back on, lock works perfect now. Installed new switch sweet FA will not fire up.
As slots where out of position (90%) the column has been chewed up a bit due to steering lock fouling, as above sorted this.
Replaced original switch, no difference.

All this began as a result of turning wheels onto hard lock, which may have nought to do with it, but prior to was all ok.. what a bugger.

Anyway will have a look under at Starter connections and earth tomorrow, unless someone has any thoughts/ideas.
Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Aidan.He does not like his name being misspelled. :wink:

Thanks Aiden,
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Have sent you a pm with something to try :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

freckvan1

Post by freckvan1 »

First off, apologies Aidan now noted! :D

Slowcoach, thanks for pm, yup tried that this morning, no joy,steering lock released, dash lights on, same as before sweet FA. Retried original switch, same as, nowt!

Did hear behind fuses a dull click when turning key to fire position, just a single click on each attempt. No one to give me a hand to determine what is making this click. Cleaned up earth crowns, which I did thoroughly when had dash out last year, so should be ok..

Had a look at Starter connections from Engine Bay, look a bit corroded, so sprayed with WD, could’nt get under today as me back does’nt want to know at moment :?

Anyway, got granddaughter here until Friday, so will have another bash.

Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

The click from the fuse area is likely to be the x-circuit load reduction relay which turns headlights etc off when starting the engine.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

freckvan1

Post by freckvan1 »

Well good day today, back ok, no rain and van starts Boom!

Cleaned up leads on Starter, only a small amount of corrosion, but enough to stop power.
Cleaned up Battery terminals and connections and now all good, what a relief. :D

My next problem is Steering Column, can not get Steering Lock to be effective in horizontal position on Steering Wheel , have to turn almost quarter for lock to engage.
Prior to all this left van after turning wheel to hard lock nearside as far as I could, I am now thinking something has moved within/on the Steering Column.

Is there any chance of someone posting a photo/s of Safety Coupling Flange position from within the van, also position of Lower Column with it’s crank position. With all this manoeuvring around I may well by the looks of it have the column out of position.

In the wheels straight ahead position, the Column slots/indents are not lining up horizontally with Steering Lock housing.

Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C