Fresh air flow.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Fresh air flow.

Post by itchyfeet »

bigbadbob76 wrote: Propping the tailgate would be a bit too much ventilation methinks, good suggestion though. :ok

don't rule it out, even the tailgate, half on the latch gives a bit, I made a short tail gate standoff that gives about 1/2" ventilation, may need a midge net but its a cheap easy solution.

if you are not worried about security a bit of wood keeps the rear hatch open a smidge
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Its possible to install small PC-type fans in the cavity ahead of the doors to remove condensation when camped overnight. They don't draw much so not a consideration in terms of a flat battery.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

ooohhhhh.... good call CovKid. :ok
They'd be pretty quiet too and far enough from the sleeping area that you wouldn't hear them. :D
And they could be orientated to blow the midgies out, not suck them in.

looking at this pic (thanks JonB, :) ) gives a better idea of what's hidden under my lining carpet.

I'm thinking maybe some vents let into the base of the overhead locker directly above our heads when we're... erm... sleeping :P and ducted into the gutter ventilation void.
Possible via that hole at top right of the picture if it connects with the vent at top left.
Then a couple of pc fans somewhere as CovKid suggests. even in the locker if they're not too noisy there.
pc fans could be run from the leisure battery.
Whether this would rust my vent ducts/doors etc from the inside out is another issue.

Just for kicks I did the maths to see if silica gel would be any good.
Nope. :lol: I'd need 1kg of silica gel per nights sleep to adsorb the breath from both of us.
I'd then have to put it in the oven for 2-3 hours. And not the van oven as that would pump the evaporated moisture back into the van. :roll:
Maybe on the exhaust though if I'm driving that day.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

After having a good look in the overhead locker I have a plan B forming. :idea

I've mounted a couple of pc power supply fans in the base of the locker, in the corners below those holes at top right in JonB's picture above.
Those holes are connected together by a void above the tailgate.
I also noticed the blanking grommet for the tailgate wiring (that I don't have) is filling a hole in this void and is above the tailgate seal so would vent to outside.
I'm thinking of drilling some more vent holes along the top above the seal, ( see pic below) the only issue I see is keeping rainwater out, but grommets with holes should sort that and stop any water that runs down
there from running straight in.
Ideally I'll have a double glazed tailgate window too (when funds allow) so our breath doesn't condense on the window before it gets sucked out by the fans.

Split case club member.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Don't be drilling holes in that tailgate crossmember , could cause water ingress/rust issues.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

multisi wrote:Don't be drilling holes in that tailgate crossmember , could cause water ingress/rust issues.

Yes, that's something I've got to be careful of. :ok
If I do it I've got to do it right ot I'll be flooded out. :lol:
As there are already holes in there for wiring I "should" be ok as long as I grommet the holes properly.
I'm thinking maybe sleeved/long grommets.
Properly cleaning up the holes and painting the cut edges before sealing the grommets in will be essential.
Split case club member.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

We used to get wet pillows due to condensation running down the rear window. So I ran a 6 mm bungee across just below the window and made up a "curtain" from some leatherette material so that we could tuck the curtain proper behind it when sleeping. The leatherette "curtain" separates pillows from the door/window and any condensation gets directed down behind it.

We do have an 12 to 240 V inverter circuit which we can use when not on hookup so I have it in mind to take our small Karcher electric squeegee as we use the van right through the winter for family visits/stay overs and her ladyship requires a very warm environment at all times which does of course produce plenty of condensation all round which does take a bit of getting off especially when preparing to drive.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

bigbadbob76 wrote:After having a good look in the overhead locker I have a plan B forming. :idea

I've mounted a couple of pc power supply fans in the base of the locker, in the corners below those holes at top right in JonB's picture above.
Those holes are connected together by a void above the tailgate.
I also noticed the blanking grommet for the tailgate wiring (that I don't have) is filling a hole in this void and is above the tailgate seal so would vent to outside.
I'm thinking of drilling some more vent holes along the top above the seal, ( see pic below) the only issue I see is keeping rainwater out, but grommets with holes should sort that and stop any water that runs down
there from running straight in.
Ideally I'll have a double glazed tailgate window too (when funds allow) so our breath doesn't condense on the window before it gets sucked out by the fans.

Drilling holes in the top cross member there will cause you untold wetness, and regret . Trust me, I once broke a van that someone had drilled just two holes there for some sort of doohickey and when I cut the van up that bit has a double skin for structural strength and it was full of water and rust worms..... it’s basically out side all the time in all the weather .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Cheers for the heads-up on the double skin, :ok

I have a string accross below the window too C.S. your deflector curtain sounds like a good addition.
Split case club member.

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Welllll.... I back at trying to improve the ventilation.
Last time out (Glen Orchy) was a warm night with hoards of midgies.
We had the front/cab windows half open but covered with an exterior windscreen cover.
Sliding window over sink half open but covered by curtains.
PC fans in overhead locker running (noisy).
and it was still too hot. :-( but midgies stayed outside.
Had to open the sliding door about a foot to get fresh air but got midgies coming in and chewing our ankles then so had to close it.
Tried propping the tailgate but bedding kept falling down the gap and midgies attacked from the sides. :run
I could rig a midgie mesh but can see the bedding pushing it through.

So... next plan is to make a midgie mesh for the sliding door, I know you can buy them, but £70??? for a bit of mesh??? I'm a Scotsman FFS. :shock:
It's a real shame no-one seems to make opening tailgate windows, I'd pay good money for one of them and could cover it with midgie mesh.
Would probably cost too much to make in small quantities though. :-(
Opening rear side windows might help but getting ones to fit a diy cut up panel van would be tricky.

I have some caravelle vents that I never fitted cos my curtain rail runs right across the vent holes so I could maybe put one each side in the inner 1/4 panel behind the engine air scoops and pray it doesn't smell, at least not when stopped.

Anyway, if you've read all that rambling and are still with me... I'd be keen to hear any suggestions (that don't involve propping the tailgate, this is just not an option for me). :ok
Split case club member.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

This is a new thread to be BBB

My Autosleeper has a sliding window over the cooker. The sliding half exposes a steel mesh.

Having just done a search for your photos I see you also have a similar sliding window. Could you change that to incorporate a mesh ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

As you’ve a cut up panel van, if you find an opening side window (maybe a double glazed plastic one) you could cut/weld the opening for the window to suit?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Or even one of these..... warm air rises doesn't it

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/venti ... pare-parts
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Pinkythelabrat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Pinkythelabrat »

As 937 Carrera says I just fitted (refitted I suppose) one of these Fiamma roof vents and it makes a great deal of difference with heat build up, moisture and midgies. You can get fan assisted ones which would possibly be even better but let’s not get too outrageous - I’m also Scottish!

It was easy enough to fit even for me - even though I had to cut the posts down a bit and built a frame for the surround and roof to replace my rotted previous one (leaking roof vent - 30 years old I think).

Alternatively I’m sure I’ve seen mesh window inserts you stick in an open window then wind the window back up half way to hold it in place... somewhere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Well here's my midgie mesh for the sliding door.
It just velcro's around the edge.
Time will tell if it allows enough airflow as the top half will be covered by the curtain.

Yes, I leave the sliding window over the sink open but the curtain covers it so there's not much air flow. my windows are tinted but I still keep the curtains shut so we can have lights on at night and not be illuminated in all out glory. :lol: same with the cab windows.
I might need a rethink of the curtain over that window and keep the lights off.

The rooflight would probably give the best ventilation but I really don't want to cut my roof. :(

I suppose I could make a new window surround panel for an opening rear side window Roger, but I've been there before and once was enough. :lol:
Split case club member.