interior lights on t3 camper ,can i change em ?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stillcool67

interior lights on t3 camper ,can i change em ?

Post by stillcool67 »

the original interior standard little lights are cracked rusted the usual dont work anymore,,,, 86 , t3 camper,, is it possible for me to fit other 12 volt interior lights using the same wires ,, obviously with added on/off switch?,, and any sugestions on cool lights ?

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: interior lights on t3 camper ,can i change em ?

Post by Porkscratching »

I would suggest that if most folk on here have to repair or replace their interior lights they go down the LED route. Well I did, anyway.

Regards,, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Never found those little interior lights any use whatsoever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DQnM1A8C0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

stillcool67

Post by stillcool67 »

do i just wire led lights to existing interior light wireing ?

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Yep !
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

stillcool67 wrote:do i just wire led lights to existing interior light wireing ?

It's very easy and cheap, yes use existing wiring

My interior lights all started failing, the rocker type switch mainly + the festoon bulb was dim and power hungry compared to LED.

I bought some slim cob festoon bulb replacements from ebay. I took all the old stuff out (the bulb, connectors and switch mechanism (because mine were knacked) and I fitted the flat led in its place. I also found some new on/off rocker switch which I fitted into the ends of the plastic diffuser (this was the trickiest bit but still easy enough, I carefully measured the rectangular dims of the switch, marked these onto the diffuser and using the finest drill I had, I drilled around the rectangular shape and cut the hole, a little file and it it popped. I was worried about it breaking but it worked really well!
I did post pics on here a couple of years ago showing the result but don't knwo where they are now.

You can buy led festoon bulb replacements but I thought they were still a bit too small for the job and procey compared to ones I found. The light I get off mine now is great, we have 3 in place and thats sufficient. I also made a much larger one to go into the where the air vents go but this turned out to be WAY too bright for regular use.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You can buy LED dimmers very cheap (import) or you can buy 12v-3v, 12v-3.5v etc converters so you can wire in LED strings. Thats what I switch on come the evenings as anything brighter becomes uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkyS6W3UvA&t=9s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be honest I don't think you can have enough lighting in a camper - you just don't put it all on at once. A light so you can get up without disturbing others is VERY useful and ideally wired as 2-way so you can reach for switch when you're in bed or at other end of camper. You need bright lights to locate the can opener, and other lighting depending who is onboard. More the merrier I say. Just make sure its efficient.

Avoid long strings of coloured flashing LED strip. Its fun for a while but you soon get fed up with it and it draws way too much from your battery. Also, fit at least twice as many ciggy sockets as you think you'll need :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

tea42
80-90 Mem No: 16094

Post by tea42 »

I bought 4.5 watt led strip lights from Amazon. They use a fraction of the current of mercury strip lights. Just wire them in to the existing wires.

We sleep head to tailgate and a battery led light with a magnetic base can be attached to the bodywork above your head giving a very convenient bedside light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-free-Magn ... t+magnetic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1980 T25 Devon Moonraker, 2 litre CU Air Cooled, Manual