Rear seat belts and R n R seat/bed?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Rear seat belts and R n R seat/bed?

Post by AngeloEvs »

Brickwerks do a rear safety belt kit but my Autohomes has no anchor points, it also has a flat board rock n roll bed rather than a steel frame type.

1. Has anyone fitted a rear three point safety belt in a Autohomes conversion?

I can get spreader plates, etc but I don't like the idea of carrying passengers on a rear seat made of wood so thinking of replacing it with a Van Wurks steel framed type.

2 Anyone fitted a Van Wurks R n R seat?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

bonus999
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Rear seat belts and R n R seat/bed?

Post by bonus999 »

Mine is a Devon and the anchor points were fine, I would have thought they would be standard from the factory. I also have a steel RnR bed and neither of these probably helps you :)

However, be weary of the cushions as they are probably not fixed and this can be a safety issue, sliding out in the event of an accident, I have not overcome this yet.

I was also told that it could be an MOT failure with belts fitted and loose cushions and I always stash my belts out of site before an MOT.

Its not ideal but better than no belts

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

Drill the 3 holes if you have to - my factory high top van had the holes.

It's a good seat belt - worth the extra.

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Thanks, regards a three point seatbelt, is the receiver part fitted on the engine bulkhead or the floor?

Also, the second rear belt would be a lap type but I can't find much info as to where you would anchor the buckle part, thinking this too would be on the engine bulkhead?

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

I have a new unused Brickwerks rear left side 3 point belt for sale and should also have used lap belts. The rear 3 point fits in the cavity in the side panel behind the seat.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

multisi wrote:I have a new unused Brickwerks rear left side 3 point belt for sale and should also have used lap belts. The rear 3 point fits in the cavity in the side panel behind the seat.

Sent you a PM....

philyoung
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Post by philyoung »

I fitted them in the back of our former ambulance using the brickwerks belts and strengthening plates. Not a particularly difficult job. We didnt have the holes for the top mounts but theres a couple of indents that allow you to accurately position the strengthening plate and mark where to drill. Bulkhead plates were a bit trickier as mine is a syncro but as the fuel tank came out for new straps, much easier. Less of a problem in a 2WD. The holes through which to bolt the monuting plates for the reels were already there. Be aware they're a bit sensitive to the angle you mount the inertia reel at for them to run smoothly. The reels were a tight fit on mine and I had to remove some of the old sound deadening pad.

Phil
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Has anyone fitted belts to a Autohomes? They use two flat boards, there is no frame as such.

The seat seems too far back to fit anchor points on the bulkhead. For the receiver part to exit correctly with respect to the passenger the anchor point needs to be on the top and a few inches back from where the bulkhead begins to slope down to the floor.

multisi

Post by multisi »

R n R seat beds fit close to the bulkhead , the seat belts are bolted to the bulkhead using plates fitted to the outside of the slope near the top then the receivers and lap belt are pushed through the gap between the seat base and back. The receivers are flexible web like the lap belt so can be moved easily. Its the same set up for steel frame or ply board seat beds. Posting the belts this morning for you.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Thanks Multisi for the update regards posting. You can see the problem in the attached pictures of just how far back the Autohomes rear seat is. (I always wondered why the autohomes felt more spacious than other vans with streel framed R N R beds.

In the first pic, the ring shows where the engine hatch receivers are and the second picture where the lower seat board rests.

Fitting the belts on the sloping part of the bulkhead is not going to work as the receiver part of the belt will be far too forward. I either change the seat for a steel framed type (that is further forward and lower) or I have to fit the plates on top of the bulkhead on the flat section.

I cannot see any other solution that would allow the receiver part to secure the passenger correctly.

ImageRnR belt by Angelo Evans, on Flickr

multisi

Post by multisi »

Ah I see what you mean now, ive never seen the way autohomes did the seat bed unit. I suppose fitting them on the top should be ok. you could do with fixing the cushions on to the boards though.

Florence the Komet
80-90 Mem No: 15792

Post by Florence the Komet »

Did you manage to sort out rear belts? I have an Autohomes which I bought with three rear lap belts, and ive upgraded the nearside to a 3-point using the Brickwerks bracket above, so it can work...
Getting a decent child seat for it was a challenge but do-able, PM me if you want more info
Tom
1989 WBX Petrol 2.1 DJ 5-speed

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Yes, Brickwerks 3 point and a lap belt installed but, as pointed out earlier in the thread, I had to mount the the receiver parts on top of the engine bulkhead rather than the sloping part where they are normally fitted.