Water pump replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Water pump replacement

Post by R0B »

Whats that then steve?

Rostoffman ice
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Are you going to replace the stubby little hose that connects that flange to the head? This is the time to do it if it's looking at all tired.
Early cooling system, but with the factory oil cooler? How did you plumb that in?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Thanks covkid that was a spot of luck I'll have a read through and follow your description and thanks steave I'll get all the tools and equipment ready before starting as for the water pump I looked on brickworks but could not find the one for an early system also I'll be replacing the thermostat correct me if I'm wrong but is it in the same housing as the pump or do I have to buy the thermostat houseing separately
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

CJH

Post by CJH »

Brickwerks early water pump - out of stock at the moment though.

The thermostat housing bolts onto the side of the pump. It's not available new anymore, and can be pricey secondhand - take care of the one you've got :wink:

sarahandthebear

[quote="

The thermostat housing bolts onto the side of the pump. It's not available new anymore, and can be pricey secondhand - take care of the one you've got

Thank you hopefully they will get one back in stock soon as for the thermostat that's what I was affrade of not having a replacement housing but how hard is it for me to brake I'm only assuming it's if the bolts are rusted on there but cob kid has a really good page on the wiki with a lot of info about stuck bolts do you think I should change the coolent pipes that run under the van as they are badly corroded and then bleed and renew the coolent these jobs also need doing so it makes sense to do it all at once

sarahandthebear

I'm hoping the engine is still ok as it did overheat I checked the dipstick for signs of coolent and the oil looks clean so I'm hoping once we change the water pump all will be well how tough are these old girls anyway

CJH

Post by CJH »

sarahandthebear wrote:...how hard is it for me to brake I'm only assuming it's if the bolts are rusted on there but cob kid has a really good page on the wiki with a lot of info about stuck bolts

I'm not sure how typical CovKid's experience was. Vans with the early cooling system are getting on a bit now, and if the water pump hasn't been changed in the last couple of decades then the sort of extreme corrosion he experienced is a distinct possibility. Then again, mine came apart easily, probably because the water pump was only a dozen or so years old. Just take care - remove the pump and thermostat housing as one, and disassemble on the bench. If you hit a snag, get help - don't just use brute force and break something.

sarahandthebear wrote:...do you think I should change the coolent pipes that run under the van as they are badly corroded and then bleed and renew the coolent these jobs also need doing so it makes sense to do it all at once

Your call - doing them now will save you having to drain the cooling system and re-bleed it all over again.

sarahandthebear wrote:I'm hoping the engine is still ok as it did overheat I checked the dipstick for signs of coolent and the oil looks clean so I'm hoping once we change the water pump all will be well how tough are these old girls anyway

Depends a bit on how long it was before you stopped - easiest way to find out is to fit the new water pump and see how it runs.

sarahandthebear

Thanks guys will get it done may have to wait until next month until we get paid and also for brickworks to get the stock in but I'll let you know how I get on or ask for more help :D I'm going to study how to do it all before taking on the challange so I know what the steps are be really prepared

sarahandthebear

Just orderd the water pump and thermostat from brickworks so hopefully can start work next week on the van just in time for winter I apologise in advance if I'm on here asking lots of questions if I get stuck but I a man also very excited to start my first ever real macanical job I always love fixing things but only really basic things up until now so wish me luck :ok

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

My early engine's water pump and thermostat housing came apart fine too. Remember fortune follows the brave! Best of luck and take your time undoing things, don't rush a stiff bolt. Nice and steady, back and forth :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by nsjtaylor »

So, did you succeed in sorting this out without too much aggro? I think my thermostat is stuck open and I have the same early 1.9 as you (e.g. thermo in a bad spot. I'm just working up the bravery to deal with it!).
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Its a lottery. I posted the WIKI article so you don't make any schoolboy errors. The earlier system is a pig. Don't forget to add nuts underneath the heads of allen bolts during the refit. It will really save the day should water pump need replacing again. That way you have TWO ways of removing bolts ;) Add copper grease (anti-seize) to thermostat housing bolts. The last person/garage will not have done.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

CovKid wrote:Well, you're in luck. I wrote this a couple of years ago - good luck!

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... overhaul_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a problem with stuck allen screws which tool did you buy to help remove them, do you have a link? Thanks

freckvan1
80-90 Mem No: 8492

Post by freckvan1 »

From my experience replacing the Water Pump is,as CovKid and others suggest, a lottery . In your case just hope it’s positive! :)

Had to replace mine on a campsite in Northern Ireland which all went ok until Thermostat bolts sheared, bugger.
Still,no big deal, just hacksaw Pump off (junior hacksaw,geez) and then soak housing in Plusgas and release bolts.
No chance, both seized solid in housing, ffs!
Ended up drilling them out undersized, no mean feat using an ancient blacksmith vice on friendly farm and equally ancient B&D :shock: Local AA kindly core drilled housing true, amazing service and helped me reassemble and bleed!

Hope it all works ok for you and do change that stubby hose, replace all clips with Stainless, bleed the system, then do as I did and get bladdered! :mrgreen:
1984 1,9DG. W/C

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Yep, same here^^^^^^ One bolt drilled out of the thermostat and two of the studs holding the pump on had fused in the pump housing. I had to slowly drill around them with the smallest bit in the dremel to release them. :ok
David
the future is unwritten