Engine bay raised platforms/storage - show and tell

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Engine bay raised platforms/storage - show and tell

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

I need to make one of these raised platforms for the engine bay so my new r'n'r bed fits.

I've seen the odd picture here and there on the forum, but would like to see a few more. Photos would be great and a link to any plans would be magic.

Thanks
Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Re: Engine bay raised platforms/storage - show and tell

Post by discipleofsketch »

I was looking at this on the interweb last night. Now i've got my van back i'm planning on building something simalr to replace the awkward massive plastic tray in the back on my devon:-

http://t25camper.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/140/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

Just done the bulk of mine last weekend.

Bought a big sheet of 18mm spruce ply from Wickes (2440x1220mm) and measuring up got all bits I needed from the one sheet which was about £28.

Just happen to have my workings and plans;

Top sketch is the plan although the far left and far right piece is actually straight not on an angle and I haven't bothered with the horizontal mid section.

The 2nd sketch is the cuts on the board.
- Top left is the back board which the seat will rest against (Top right is waste)
- Next line is the front board by the tailgate (rest is waste).
- The big section is the base and the strips are the strips which connect front to back (this will depend on the depth you need to match your bed height)

I fixed it all together with wood dowels drilled in (IKEA style) with PVA. I was going to varnish it all but decided on carpeting it so then stuck some screws in as well.

To make use of the space under the platform you need to cut the top board into sections.
- Back section full width and about 200mm deep, this is going to be cut out to accept the bed frame.
- Middle section hinged to the back about as wide as the engine hatch and joint resting on the inner frame walls
- Side sections, hinged to the middle section which fold over giving access to the side storage and also allowing the mid section to lift up for access to the engine.

(Hope that's clear from the photo)

My next steps are to cut the back section out to accept the bed frame laying flush with the top board.
Put the hinges on the top boards, carpet and I think I'm going to cut the front panel and attach the middle to the top board for better access to the engine hatch....or make a lovely draw like in the above post.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Thank you for showing me what can be achieved. I love the smart storage approach. They all look fantastic and I am very grateful for the plans. My bed arrives this week so I'll be fitting that first and then building up the support. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Cheers

Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

JonB

Post by JonB »

Just to show the finished article.

Ta Dah!

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

I dont think mine would take such bulky extra storage unless I built up the cushions. Is this why mine is so uncomfy, thin cushions?
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

dcfb77
80-90 Mem No: 8259

Post by dcfb77 »

Mines got 2x drawers to put our clothes & toiletry. Void space on the left of drawer is accessible from lift up lid on top and I put all tools, hoses, electrical cables, adapters, high lift jack adapter, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/civy2mt8y4l22 ... .46.06.png

Was definitely worth doing as I feel we've gained loads of room inside.
RHD Syncro twin slider (AGG) - orange

cshots
80-90 Mem No: 11107

Post by cshots »

Here's mine:
ImageIMG_0401 by t25_1985, on Flickr

It's fairly scruffy (my first attempt at anything to do with wood) but does the job well - the narrow compartments on left and right have hinged lids and house all my spares and a few tools, the middle section hinges up to get to the engine bay, and I use the space for water, oil and my socket set.

It can be a little difficult to get to the engine bay quickly, but in my summer trip last year (occasional overheating issues) I got pretty used to flipping the main section up, propping the engine bay hatch against it and dealing with the issue (normally just sunbathing while it cooled down!)
Charlie

1985 Caravelle GL 1.9 DG Petrol (Billy-Bob)

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

Mine contains an engine! :ok

The top of it is level with the rock and roll so there isn't room for a mattress of anysort :shock: Not particularly comfortable.

(It's standard South African fitment incidently.)
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

Rab1974
80-90 Mem No: 16048

Post by Rab1974 »

I know this is an old thread but how does it work. Only as my bed is flat on the engine cover so if you raise the back the bed will be uneven? I can't find anything on this subject apart from photos of storage but none on how it works. Thanks
Rab

JonB

Post by JonB »

Depends what type of rear folding seat you have which fills down to make the bed.

In my old green van in the photos above. The seat was a rock n roll bed, when flat it was higher than the engine bay so needed a platform to level it off. Having some additional storage was just an added bonus.

Having changed vans, my caravelle has some original vanagon vw rear seats which fold flat onto the engine bay. This means I don't need a raised platform just foam thick enough to make a flat bed.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I suspect that beds that sit that far above engine bay were never designed for a T3 - even if sold as such. More likely a way to sell more T2 beds. I think I'd be sorting the bed so it does lay flat.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Rab1974
80-90 Mem No: 16048

Post by Rab1974 »

Oh right, i didn't know there were different beds. Ive just bought my first T25 a couple of weeks ago and i liked the storage idea(Mrs that wants to take the world with us)lol

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I've been working on mine recently....
After doing a fair bit of research on what others have done....
I have a full width Rusty Lee bed that is probably made for bay windows. The bay must be slightly narrower inside because the bed has maybe a 4 inch gap on one side.
The rear platform is around 119mm plus ply on top. I used an old tailgate strut to hold it open.

https://youtu.be/VSKbRCkchcg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

The Devon tray (with the original carpeted ply cover) is a great solution with the Devon R&R bed. Ideal storage for folded clothes accessible from inside the van or for the table-top, a dedicated and easy to get at compartment for the table leg, a perfect flat surface for the bed, easy to clean and easy to remove when engine access is needed. Don't chuck it away, you'll get good money for it from a fellow Devon owner wishing the previous owner hadn't got rid of theirs.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed