Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 01 May 2017, 16:34

It's a early 2.1 housing, but when I removed it to put in a new thermostat I noticed these two pipe around the oil filter housing. I guess they are for a oil cooler, but they weren't connected. Is it a later oil filter housing that is redundant or has someone just adapted the system to avoid it?

http://imgur.com/a/lyFzn
[url]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/lyFzn"><a href="//imgur.com/lyFzn"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/url]
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Aidan » 01 May 2017, 18:40

that is the oil warmer cooler which should be connected to the water pump and the thermostat housing, there was a period when the 2.1 thermostat housing was unobtainable so I would guess they used the 1.9 thermostat housing (and maybe water pump - or just blanked the spigot on the pump) and deleted the oil warmer cooler and pipework, the two metal pipes and the rubber hoses add up to a good few quid saved if they needed replacing at that time and weren't readily available either
AIDAN
User avatar
Aidan
Trader
 
Posts: 4534
Joined: 11 Oct 2005, 19:21
Location: Llanfyllin, mid Wales : )
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby itchyfeet » 01 May 2017, 19:55

That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1
I wonder how the oil cooler/warmer plumbed in?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
User avatar
itchyfeet
 
Posts: 11040
Joined: 23 Jul 2007, 17:24
Location: South Hampshire
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 01 May 2017, 20:05

Aidan wrote:that is the oil warmer cooler which should be connected to the water pump and the thermostat housing, there was a period when the 2.1 thermostat housing was unobtainable so I would guess they used the 1.9 thermostat housing (and maybe water pump - or just blanked the spigot on the pump) and deleted the oil warmer cooler and pipework, the two metal pipes and the rubber hoses add up to a good few quid saved if they needed replacing at that time and weren't readily available either

Thank you. I guessed it might be something like that. Should I be re installing it?
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Aidan » 02 May 2017, 05:41

sorry I didn't spot that's the early thermostat housing, surely your van would have been a 1.9 originally, do you have fuel injection or carb ?
AIDAN
User avatar
Aidan
Trader
 
Posts: 4534
Joined: 11 Oct 2005, 19:21
Location: Llanfyllin, mid Wales : )
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby ajsimmo » 02 May 2017, 07:31

Best start at the start, there is no early 2.1 housing. By the time the 2.1 came along the late cooling system was in production. So it's an early cooling system van (formerly a 1.9) that's had a 2.1 put in, (rather lazily imho) not bothering with the oil interwarmer.
I did this upgrade recently and used a Mocal Laminova oil cooler instead of the standard one. Image[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/3dc40c8e6e17695aaa38f79f0f733172.jpg[/img]
It fits nicely, works better than the original, but costs a few bob.
There's no bolt on way to reinstate the original as it's designed to connect to the late cooling system.
The Campershack - Just T3s
WBX Rebuilds, Upgrades & Engine conversions
User avatar
ajsimmo
Trader
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 14:06
Location: Grantham, Lincs
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 02 May 2017, 09:33

Aidan wrote:sorry I didn't spot that's the early thermostat housing, surely your van would have been a 1.9 originally, do you have fuel injection or carb ?

Fuel injection.

The engine code is D J020085 and it's injection. I am intrigued now. The PO told me it was all OG, I thought the DJ engine was 85 onwards though!

E D I T. My van is on a B plate. 84
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 May 2017, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 02 May 2017, 09:47

itchyfeet wrote:That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1
I wonder how the oil cooler/warmer plumbed in?

I would be interested in finding that out too.
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby itchyfeet » 02 May 2017, 10:50

Poptop2again wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1
I wonder how the oil cooler/warmer plumbed in?

I would be interested in finding that out too.


It seems early cooling system was never fitted with a 2.1 DJ

Early cooling system with early thermostat housing was fitted with a 1.9 GW and DH and injection but that would not have had a cooler (common in USA apparently)

So either you had a 1.9 GW/DH injection that somebody upgraded to a DJ 2.1 or you had a 1.9 DG with carb that somebody swapped the entire 2.1 DJ and injection system over.

Get some more pics up of the engine bay because it tells us alot, I once saw a installation with both early and late termostats on the same engine :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
User avatar
itchyfeet
 
Posts: 11040
Joined: 23 Jul 2007, 17:24
Location: South Hampshire
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 02 May 2017, 14:48

itchyfeet wrote:
Poptop2again wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1
I wonder how the oil cooler/warmer plumbed in?

I would be interested in finding that out too.


It seems early cooling system was never fitted with a 2.1 DJ

Early cooling system with early thermostat housing was fitted with a 1.9 GW and DH and injection but that would not have had a cooler (common in USA apparently)

So either you had a 1.9 GW/DH injection that somebody upgraded to a DJ 2.1 or you had a 1.9 DG with carb that somebody swapped the entire 2.1 DJ and injection system over.

Get some more pics up of the engine bay because it tells us alot, I once saw a installation with both early and late termostats on the same engine :lol:


I am going to link you to my post on the late bay rather than trying to upload pictures on here, it is such faff when photobucket won't play ball.

Here is the link. You should be able to read it without logging in. Page 10 has some engine pics. I can add more

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads ... 98/page-10
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Highroller » 02 May 2017, 15:58

That is not fuel injected, looks like it's a carb'd DJ that's been fitted at some point with the original early cooling system and at some point a mechanical fuel pump. Are you sure that the van was not originally an early 1.9 DG? That would explain why the oil cooler is not plumbed in.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop
Highroller
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 18:58
Location: East Lothian
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby itchyfeet » 02 May 2017, 16:21

yes was an early DG had a DJ fitted with the DG carb, common upgrade.
would be worth connecting the cooler/ warmer but I'd personally buy a new one because that one will now be rusty inside.
Where to connect it is up for debate but somebody on here has done it.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
User avatar
itchyfeet
 
Posts: 11040
Joined: 23 Jul 2007, 17:24
Location: South Hampshire
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 02 May 2017, 16:25

Highroller wrote:That is not fuel injected, looks like it's a carb'd DJ that's been fitted at some point with the original early cooling system and at some point a mechanical fuel pump. Are you sure that the van was not originally an early 1.9 DG? That would explain why the oil cooler is not plumbed in.


Sorry, my error. The reply about injection or carbed system should have said ' It is not a injection system' I don't know why I missed the first bit off.

Regarding the van I was told by the PO that it was all OG. I began to delve once I got a issue with overheating and this is where I am at. Not sure whether I should hook up the oil cooler to the water system or just put the new stat in, fill her up and use her.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 May 2017, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby itchyfeet » 02 May 2017, 16:32

OG? whats that

Explain the overheating problem from the start
An oil cooler won't stop it overheating it will just help a bit with high oil temps and low oil pressure.

Overheating is often stat related or head gasket related or lack of coolant/air in system
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
User avatar
itchyfeet
 
Posts: 11040
Joined: 23 Jul 2007, 17:24
Location: South Hampshire
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Postby Poptop2again » 02 May 2017, 16:46

itchyfeet wrote:OG? whats that

Explain the overheating problem from the start
An oil cooler won't stop it overheating it will just help a bit with high oil temps and low oil pressure.

Overheating is often stat related or head gasket related or lack of coolant/air in system

OG - original!

I bought the van with a existing overheat problem. It has previously had new heads and radiator and fans by PO'S garage . I was told by the previous owner it still overheated occasionally. I bought it in Wales and after a trial run where I got it as hot as I could and removed the bleed screw on the rad and pressure cap to get rid of any air, I drove it over 120 miles home with absolutely no issues at all. Drove like a dream. I noticed a small rad leak a few days later and ignored it as it was only a small leak. I drove into town one day and she overheated badly, bursting the small connection hose beneath the alternator. I got her home and took the thermostat housing apart to test the stat. The one stud on the housing was snapped and there was only half a stat in there and by the time I got around to sorting it, the short MOT had expired. I left it over the winter as I have been busy and started back on it on Sunday. This is where I am with it now.

My guess is, the water leak caused low levels and they like to be full as someone on here said in my other thread about the conversion type.
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 May 2017, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Poptop2again
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 25 May 2016, 12:26
80-90 Mem No: 0

Next

Return to Mechanical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ciaraneng and 38 guests