Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Poptop2again
80-90 Mem No: 0

Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Post by Poptop2again »

It's a early 2.1 housing, but when I removed it to put in a new thermostat I noticed these two pipe around the oil filter housing. I guess they are for a oil cooler, but they weren't connected. Is it a later oil filter housing that is redundant or has someone just adapted the system to avoid it?

http://imgur.com/a/lyFzn
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lan ... ></script>

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Post by Aidan »

that is the oil warmer cooler which should be connected to the water pump and the thermostat housing, there was a period when the 2.1 thermostat housing was unobtainable so I would guess they used the 1.9 thermostat housing (and maybe water pump - or just blanked the spigot on the pump) and deleted the oil warmer cooler and pipework, the two metal pipes and the rubber hoses add up to a good few quid saved if they needed replacing at that time and weren't readily available either

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1
I wonder how the oil cooler/warmer plumbed in?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

Aidan wrote:that is the oil warmer cooler which should be connected to the water pump and the thermostat housing, there was a period when the 2.1 thermostat housing was unobtainable so I would guess they used the 1.9 thermostat housing (and maybe water pump - or just blanked the spigot on the pump) and deleted the oil warmer cooler and pipework, the two metal pipes and the rubber hoses add up to a good few quid saved if they needed replacing at that time and weren't readily available either
Thank you. I guessed it might be something like that. Should I be re installing it?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

sorry I didn't spot that's the early thermostat housing, surely your van would have been a 1.9 originally, do you have fuel injection or carb ?

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Best start at the start, there is no early 2.1 housing. By the time the 2.1 came along the late cooling system was in production. So it's an early cooling system van (formerly a 1.9) that's had a 2.1 put in, (rather lazily imho) not bothering with the oil interwarmer.
I did this upgrade recently and used a Mocal Laminova oil cooler instead of the standard one. ImageImage
It fits nicely, works better than the original, but costs a few bob.
There's no bolt on way to reinstate the original as it's designed to connect to the late cooling system.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

Aidan wrote:sorry I didn't spot that's the early thermostat housing, surely your van would have been a 1.9 originally, do you have fuel injection or carb ?
Fuel injection.

The engine code is D J020085 and it's injection. I am intrigued now. The PO told me it was all OG, I thought the DJ engine was 85 onwards though!

E D I T. My van is on a B plate. 84
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 May 2017, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

itchyfeet wrote:That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1
I would be interested in finding that out too.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Poptop2again wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:That looks like a metal thermostat housing, I did't know they fitted that to a 2.1

It seems early cooling system was never fitted with a 2.1 DJ

Early cooling system with early thermostat housing was fitted with a 1.9 GW and DH and injection but that would not have had a cooler (common in USA apparently)

So either you had a 1.9 GW/DH injection that somebody upgraded to a DJ 2.1 or you had a 1.9 DG with carb that somebody swapped the entire 2.1 DJ and injection system over.

Get some more pics up of the engine bay because it tells us alot, I once saw a installation with both early and late termostats on the same engine :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

itchyfeet wrote:
Poptop2again wrote:

It seems early cooling system was never fitted with a 2.1 DJ

Early cooling system with early thermostat housing was fitted with a 1.9 GW and DH and injection but that would not have had a cooler (common in USA apparently)

So either you had a 1.9 GW/DH injection that somebody upgraded to a DJ 2.1 or you had a 1.9 DG with carb that somebody swapped the entire 2.1 DJ and injection system over.

Get some more pics up of the engine bay because it tells us alot, I once saw a installation with both early and late termostats on the same engine :lol:

I am going to link you to my post on the late bay rather than trying to upload pictures on here, it is such faff when photobucket won't play ball.

Here is the link. You should be able to read it without logging in. Page 10 has some engine pics. I can add more

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads ... 98/page-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Post by Highroller »

That is not fuel injected, looks like it's a carb'd DJ that's been fitted at some point with the original early cooling system and at some point a mechanical fuel pump. Are you sure that the van was not originally an early 1.9 DG? That would explain why the oil cooler is not plumbed in.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

yes was an early DG had a DJ fitted with the DG carb, common upgrade.
would be worth connecting the cooler/ warmer but I'd personally buy a new one because that one will now be rusty inside.
Where to connect it is up for debate but somebody on here has done it.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

Highroller wrote:That is not fuel injected, looks like it's a carb'd DJ that's been fitted at some point with the original early cooling system and at some point a mechanical fuel pump. Are you sure that the van was not originally an early 1.9 DG? That would explain why the oil cooler is not plumbed in.

Sorry, my error. The reply about injection or carbed system should have said ' It is not a injection system' I don't know why I missed the first bit off.

Regarding the van I was told by the PO that it was all OG. I began to delve once I got a issue with overheating and this is where I am at. Not sure whether I should hook up the oil cooler to the water system or just put the new stat in, fill her up and use her.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 May 2017, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

OG? whats that

Explain the overheating problem from the start
An oil cooler won't stop it overheating it will just help a bit with high oil temps and low oil pressure.

Overheating is often stat related or head gasket related or lack of coolant/air in system
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

itchyfeet wrote:OG? whats that

Explain the overheating problem from the start
An oil cooler won't stop it overheating it will just help a bit with high oil temps and low oil pressure.

Overheating is often stat related or head gasket related or lack of coolant/air in system
OG - original!

I bought the van with a existing overheat problem. It has previously had new heads and radiator and fans by PO'S garage . I was told by the previous owner it still overheated occasionally. I bought it in Wales and after a trial run where I got it as hot as I could and removed the bleed screw on the rad and pressure cap to get rid of any air, I drove it over 120 miles home with absolutely no issues at all. Drove like a dream. I noticed a small rad leak a few days later and ignored it as it was only a small leak. I drove into town one day and she overheated badly, bursting the small connection hose beneath the alternator. I got her home and took the thermostat housing apart to test the stat. The one stud on the housing was snapped and there was only half a stat in there and by the time I got around to sorting it, the short MOT had expired. I left it over the winter as I have been busy and started back on it on Sunday. This is where I am with it now.

My guess is, the water leak caused low levels and they like to be full as someone on here said in my other thread about the conversion type.
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 May 2017, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.