Van fridge reminder

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Van fridge reminder

Post by Ralf85 »

My usual reminder to test run your fridge again to ensure that it continues to work when you need it, as the gas inside the cooling system can solidify in cold weather. If it does solidify, the only option, is taking the fridge out, turning it upside down and shaking it, which is a pain. I tested mine before xmas as well. Happy camping.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Van fridge reminder

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Never heard of the refrigerant solidifying in cold weather, after all what does it do inside the circuit - get cold!
Turning upside down is for when the components, water and ammonia, have separated due to stasis. The ammonia can also crystallize which may be helped by turning upside down and shaken about to enable the crystals to redissolve.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Van fridge reminder

Post by Ralf85 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Never heard of the refrigerant solidifying in cold weather, after all what does it do inside the circuit - get cold!
Turning upside down is for when the components, water and ammonia, have separated due to stasis. The ammonia can also crystallize which may be helped by turning upside down and shaken about to enable the crystals to redissolve.
That's right - crystallize!