T25 and 80's LT comparison

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

windy
80-90 Mem No: 14574

T25 and 80's LT comparison

Post by windy »

Don't worry, I'm definitely not selling my T25 which is still used daily, but have the urge for a bigger van, as the current camper set-up in my T25 is a bit limited on space for longer stays.
Does anyone have experience of the 80's LT models & how do they compare with the T25?
Mark.
2wd Syncro. JX powered. White with black ragtop sunroof

bhpdub
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11205

Re: T25 and 80's LT comparison

Post by bhpdub »

I've had a few LT's over the years.
If I were to go back to one, then it would have to be one of the last LT 35's.
The 2.4 TD, with power steering. (Maneuvering an LT at low speeds, without PAS is not much fun)
They sit fine at 65mph, with more space, and carrying capacity than a T25.
The late 2.4TD's return around 28-30mpg on average if driven sensibly.
Like the T25, the 5 speed manual versions have a dog leg gearbox.
They are a good van, but obviously pretty dated compared to modern vans.
Westfalia did an LT 35 Florida, which is a well equipped van, but like T25 Westy's, LHD will be the drive side. These seem to change hands from about £7k up to £15k for really top examples.
If you are looking for a panel van to convert, I think you'll find that most on offer will have done pretty big mileages by now.
They were the van of choice for market traders during the late 80's and into the 90's, and beyond for some, because they were very square shaped, so load volume capacity was good.
You definitely feel like you are driving a much bigger vehicle, compared to a T25.
The cab area's are nice and wide, with plenty of room, but where the engine on the T25 is at the back of the van, with an LT, you are literally sat on top of the engine in the cab, but insulation is pretty decent, and engine noise isn't normally an issue.
If you wanted a retro van, rather than the modern equivalent, then they are well worth considering, if you can find a good, late example. (1992-95)
There is a decent facebook group for them, if you go on there, you'll probably stand a chance of buying a vehicle that's been owned by an enthusiast.
Hope this helps :ok

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

The 4x4 models are awesome, but you'd probably have to go to Germany or Scandinavia to find one.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

windy
80-90 Mem No: 14574

Post by windy »

Thanks for the reply bhpdub. Its the Mk1's LT28 (and possibly 35) that appeal, & I guess anything that age will be a bit of a gamble.
I believe they are coil front & leaf spring rear so probably won't have the same ride quality as a T25?

Tforturton, a friend is just about to complete a deal on an LT 4x4 ex Austrian fire truck, but they are out of my league at the moment. Can't wait to see it & have a spin though
Mark.
2wd Syncro. JX powered. White with black ragtop sunroof

BoroKeef
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BoroKeef »

I had an LT28 1981 2litre petrol...got about 19mpg downhill, but I ragged it up to 70mph...sound as a pound and the interior layout was great - could keep the bed made up with plenty of room to cook the dinner....really liked the van. Not to everyone's taste, certainly not the purists anyway...but I paid 1000 for her and she was great fun to drive....lack of power steering wasn't that much of an issue, but the fuel consumption was :?