T25 Buddy/Toilet Seat and Seatbelts

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vanagongirl
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 Buddy/Toilet Seat and Seatbelts

Post by vanagongirl »

Hello,
I'm going to be living in my LHD T25 for a few months next year and I am thinking about adding a buddy seat with a toilet inside. Both of my front seats are swivel captain seats so I would like to add a buddy seat that does not have a back. If I had a full seat with a back then I would not be able to swivel my passenger seat. Does anyone know if you can use this kind of seat/stool, with an appropriate seatbelt, as a legal seat? My ideal addition would be grey Westfalia (or very similar) buddy seat with no back, toilet inside, removable, legal seat. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thank you

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: T25 Buddy/Toilet Seat and Seatbelts

Post by kevtherev »

I have just the set up you describe.

The seat plans are in the wiki under "Devon box"
Unfolded it seats two.
You can add a lap belt if you wish.

AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

campervanster
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 14117

Post by campervanster »

vanagongirl wrote:Hello,
I'm going to be living in my LHD T25 for a few months next year and I am thinking about adding a buddy seat with a toilet inside. Both of my front seats are swivel captain seats so I would like to add a buddy seat that does not have a back. If I had a full seat with a back then I would not be able to swivel my passenger seat. Does anyone know if you can use this kind of seat/stool, with an appropriate seatbelt, as a legal seat? My ideal addition would be grey Westfalia (or very similar) buddy seat with no back, toilet inside, removable, legal seat. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thank you

I'm not sure about buddy seats with belts etc. But your plans sound exciting! Where are you headed?

Tudor Cudd
80-90 Mem No: 15737

Post by Tudor Cudd »

kevtherev wrote:I have just the set up you describe.

The seat plans are in the wiki under "Devon box"
Unfolded it seats two.
You can add a lap belt if you wish.

Like the seats, where are they from?
T25 2 Litre CU Aircooled
BMW r1150gs
Triumph Tiger Cub
Tiger 100ss
James Captain
Mazda MX-5

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

They are original T3 captain seats.Kev has had them re-upholstered.

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Tudor Cudd
80-90 Mem No: 15737

Post by Tudor Cudd »

R0B wrote:They are original T3 captain seats.Kev has had them re-upholstered.

Thanks, Are such seats still available, do you know?
T25 2 Litre CU Aircooled
BMW r1150gs
Triumph Tiger Cub
Tiger 100ss
James Captain
Mazda MX-5

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Yes plenty about, usually at VW shows.
NWVW has a few.
Starting price is around £120 for a pair going up to well over £500.

I bought mine for £120 and had both reupholstered for £285 .
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

Hello.

I have a Devon-converted van with it's original toilet box and cushioned lid and additional fold-out extra seat. The original ones have apertures in the front through which the toilet within can be flushed with the pull handle.

It's a very simple and useful addition to the interior as it allows 4 to sit at the table when it's installed as well as being the ideal place for the loo or another large storage trunk if the toilet's removed. it also slides out in a jiffy to free up load space or provide an outside loo.

It was never designed as a travelling (so called 'buddy' seat), though (the original literature made that very clear) and that becomes obvious when you see one. Firstly the cushioned lid is unattached to the box, it just lifts off, and secondly the box itself is not bolted securely to the floor of the van as a passenger seat should be. It's held there simply by being slid in and out of a thin alloy rail on the back to allow for the whole thing to be quickly and easily removed. I have allowed a passenger on it once or twice on very short journeys and they have trouble staying on the stool even then around any turns or over bumps, and the cushion can easily become dislodged. It would make little difference to have a lap-belt really, it would still be a terrible idea to sit somebody there in terms of safety for them and the other rear passengers.

The real buddy seats with backs and arms sit on proper seat rails and can be fitted with 3-point belts for a safely-carried extra passenger. The toilet box stools are great to have for camping, so the configuration's up to you - if I were going to live in the van I'd certainly go with the box without a doubt - I wouldn't want to be camping with any more than 3 others in the van anyway!

Good luck.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed