2 to 4 Berth High-Top Conversion

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

2 to 4 Berth High-Top Conversion

Post by nsjtaylor »

I've been educating myself on T25's for a couple of years now, by mooching around this forum (though not saying much - apologies for that!) in order that when funds allow I have half a chance of not making an awful purchase.

In amongst all that education, I've decided to (attempt to) buy something at the higher end of the market, rather than buy at the cheapier end and throw money into it (e.g. just pay a bit more up-front for something in better condition). Of course, I appreciate that these vehicles will always need a certain amount of cash-love and that by the end of year 2 I'll probably have still spend the same amount of cash! :wink:

With all of that said; finding the right T25 - in my shoes - requires a bit of patience and luck, because I'm being mildly fussy. I'd rather wait a while and find something which is a closer match to our expectation/requirement, than rush into it and have the missus chew my ear off. No issue with that at all.. plenty of patience here (inside, I'm like a child before Christmas day... only I'm not sure when Christmas day will come! :twisted: ).

Cutting to the chase then; we want/need a high-top camper rather than a pop. Over the last few months I've immediately dismissed a number of promising high-tops because they were fitted out for 2 birth and not 4.

So the question is; is it really that much work to convert one of the roof-spaces to a bed, so it's 4-birth, in most of the high-tops?

Thanks, in advance!
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Re: 2 to 4 Berth High-Top Conversion

Post by a1winchester »

What you need is an Autosleeper Trident.
But then I am biased.
They come up for sale quite regularly and late ones can be relatively rust free.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Agreed, but I am too.

Westy hightops are well finished and are good value as the top is achingly ugly.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

kevtherev wrote:Agreed, but I am too.

Westy hightops are well finished and are good value as the top is achingly ugly.

you just jealous :D
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

clift_d wrote:
kevtherev wrote:Agreed, but I am too.

you just jealous :D
About the finish?
yes I am.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)