Throttle cable

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Toc
80-90 Mem No: 16283

Throttle cable

Post by Toc »

Well my throttle cable snapped while out and about , Dark and wet night so I had to get a tow home.
I've ordered a new cable which I'm praying is the correct length when it arrives.
Gonna fit it as soon as it comes in the post, any of you guys done it before?
It looks like it's gonna be a pretty simple job but just wanted to ask if there's any hurdles that are gonna make me loose my mind [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1985 LHD 1.9D Transporter High Top.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Throttle cable

Post by clift_d »

Certainly on a diesel you fit it from the middle of the van. The end to the pedal gets fed through a plastic sleeve in the chassis, while the end to the engine gets fed back to the throttle arm from a bracket on the chassis just in front of the rear wheel arches. Assuming that the old one broke at the pedal end, it helps to attach a length of cord to the end of the old throttle before you pull it out from the engine bay, then you can use this cord to pull the new cable through the correct holes in the chassis back to the engine when you install it.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

your biggest issue is your non standard engine, that may determine how easy it is to fit the original design cable, hopefully that was resolved when the engine was installed and it will be as straightforward as possible - if your original cable or fitting was modded previously and that is why it snapped then you may be faced with a bit more work

Toc

Post by Toc »

Ah good idea about the chord to feed it through, nice one. And I didn't think about fitting it from the middle and feeding both ends, thanks for that.

From the looks of it , it looks like a straight run right from the throttle arm to the pedal fitting. It's not the original engine. But the cable doesn't look like it was doctored to fit or anything. Looks like standard fittings and each side.

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

If it snapped at the pedal end and just the nipple went (asmine did) and you need a 'quick fix' to get you moving again get hold of a screw on nipple from either a motorcycle shop mechanic or a garden machinery repair place. Bit of adjusting at engine end but worked perfect on mine and kept me going until the new one arrived and i had time to fit At a push you could also use the brass inside from an electrical cable connector as a nipple/end
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

Toc

Post by Toc »

yep, it snapped exactly at that point, right at the end of the nipple.
Where did you get a screw on nipple to fit into the pedal receiver exactly, what was it from?

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

Same as mine did then. I got mine from a local (Poole Dorset) motorcycle repair place, they had various sizes so just picked one that wouldnt pull back through the hole at pedal. proper name is solderless nipple i guess. Slackened it off at engine end adjuster and fed the cable through pedal then clamped nipple on. Garden machinery repairer would probabaly have them too and might even have the 'cranked' sort to match the original. Couple of quid so worth a try and took me less than 5 minutes. I drove mine like it for ages as never had the time to fit cable.
Just had a thought, if you've got a decent pushbike shop nearby that does repairs they may carry them too, Halfords do a kit i think but you'd be buying more stuff than you need
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Pushbike shop very unlikely to have a solder less nipple. (from my previous life as a bike mechanic...)
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Toc

Post by Toc »

I got a throttle cable for a RHD, which is all I could track down in a hurry, mine is a LHD so it was slightly too long. Took it to a cable manufactures and they altered it for 5 quid for me , but of heavy duty crimping I guess.
Anyways the new throttle cable is fitted and all working perfectly now. In fact I don't think the throttle arm was opening fully on the last cable at foot to the floor, I just never checked , this new one defo opens it fully, lot more welly !!!

Thanks a million for the help and advice guys , I wasn't sure I could manage to fit that myself but happy days , nice to do the job yourself !!