Talk to me about spark plugs for a non turbo EJ20 (my99 ish)

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Talk to me about spark plugs for a non turbo EJ20 (my99 ish)

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

So many to choose from, I feel like a kid in a sweetshop.

What's the real difference between them all? Bosch, NGK, copper, iridium, platinum?? Does it make much difference which ones to get?
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Talk to me about spark plugs for a non turbo EJ20 (my99 ish)

Post by slowcoach »

Hoopy_Frood wrote:So many to choose from, I feel like a kid in a sweetshop.

What's the real difference between them all? Bosch, NGK, copper, iridium, platinum?? Does it make much difference which ones to get?
Anyone? Domino?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

Not sure what the none turbos run ,, I will only ever put NGK into my subarus ,, PFR6b is the standard plug for a turbo , gapped to .65 but not sure if it's the same for a none turbo ,, then there is a PFR7b for modded engines as it has a higher heat rating

Sorry I can't be more help

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

I run ngk in my scooby powered bug. Just what eurocarparts sold me because i couldn't get that excited about paying extra for anything flash. That's a 99my 2.0 n/a. It did a 15.67 quarter mile with them anyway so can't be that bad.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the platinum long life are supposed to be good for 60k miles but they only used them because access to change the plugs in the car is really poor,, certainly quad cam in 98 legacy was

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Thanks all. This question has taken a bit of back seat as now the blooming thing wont start any more with either the old plugs and leads or the new ones...

Grrrrrrr.

I've got someone coming out to have a look next week - I can't find the problem whatever it is. I suspect it's electrical as the ignition relay, fuel pump and CEL click on and off a few times when I turn the key, which started at the same time as the not starting problem. I've looked for bad grounds or loose wires but I can't see anything.

Sigh,

trying to maintain a veneer of optimism against my wife's "It will never work, just sell it" is gradually wearing me down.

If I had a £1 for every time I said "almost there now" or something along those lines, I could pretty much afford to buy a pristine Westie.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

have you checked the coil pack and its connector? would be worth checking for voltage at the connector. sounds like something just got disturbed if it was working before you changed leads and plugs?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Domino

Post by Domino »

Without trying to sound silly ,, check the charge on the battery as this happens a lot with my Scooby crew and often people say similar and its there battery not having enough charge due to cold setting in ,, flickering lights is normally the best sign ,,, does it turn over fast enough to start it ?

Domino

Post by Domino »

Aidan wrote:the platinum long life are supposed to be good for 60k miles but they only used them because access to change the plugs in the car is really poor,, certainly quad cam in 98 legacy was

When you have done a many as I have it only takes about 10 mins lol ,, I change mine every 10k in normal Scoobs and in my tuned ones I change them every 3-5k :D

Think I've got some sort of OCD though lol

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Thanks again guys

It turns over nicely enough, the battery was fully charged before I tried it last time. I will check it again though. I think i had 12.4v at the terminals last time I looked - that should be sufficient I reckon?

The coilpack suggestion could be a good shout, at the very least it's somewhere else to check tonight.

Much obliged all.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Hoopy_Frood wrote:Thanks again guys

It turns over nicely enough, the battery was fully charged before I tried it last time. I will check it again though. I think i had 12.4v at the terminals last time I looked - that should be sufficient I reckon?

The coilpack suggestion could be a good shout, at the very least it's somewhere else to check tonight.

Much obliged all.

12.4v should be enough I would of thought ,, coilpacks on the wrong plugs is normally another one but depends on what type you have as I'm not great with the none turbos really as never had to work on them

Some models of Scoob come with a sleeping alternator so it will only put out extra Volts (14v I think it was ) when the headlights are on :ok