4 Bike Rack

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ginja_ninja
80-90 Mem No: 12182

Re: 4 Bike Rack

Post by ginja_ninja »

Hi, interesting rack. Can you remember what modifications were needed?
I now have a 3rd child; more expensive and demanding than the other 2!
'90 Westy California

alfieboy
80-90 Mem No: 6327

Post by alfieboy »

ginja_ninja wrote:Hi, interesting rack. Can you remember what modifications were needed?
I think the frame part that hooks over the tailgate was from a t3 and the bike rails and part they sit on are from a t4

ginja_ninja

Post by ginja_ninja »

Hi,

Thank you all for the suggestions. Just to complete the story, i have decided to get a tow ball mounted rack, but a lighter version. The Thule Hangon: http://www.mx1.co.uk/thule-9708-hangon- ... l-carrier/ 10% discount can be found easily too.
Its a little wobbly, and fiddly to get the kids bikes one, but seems solid enough.

Another update - driven with the bikes on for 8hrs now (two 4 hours trips) without incident. Wobbles a little over the bigger bumps, but not enough to hit the van and the bikes hadn't budged even after a 200 miles.

Job done!

Pic attached. :ok
Attachments
Fully loaded
Fully loaded
IMG_20150510_110948.jpg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
'90 Westy California

Choppski
80-90 Mem No: 8838

Post by Choppski »

Just seen this thread and I bought a witter zx408 for £210 which is a tow ball mounted on my swan neck westfalia tow bar. Rock solid after a 750 mile trip with two adult and two 24" wheel bike for the kids. Great result. Just in case anyone else was thinking what to do, I just didn't want to pay more than double that price for a Thule etc
1982 Viking with 2.0 CU

Carpe Diem

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Good bit of kit
Honorary "Dave" 

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

Probably a bit late now, but for the record - just purchased and fitted one of these 4 bike tow-bar bike racks:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... ure5Jvj%60

£244, and there's enough clearance when the rack's tiled to open the boot, even with mountain bikes closest to the van - perfect! (There's a cheaper version on the same site for £175ish IIRC that does without the tilt feature.)

Sturdy bit of kit, all clamps and the rack itself to the van are lockable. Didn't notice the steering being any lighter, but I've got my spare mefro stashed above the front bash plate so that may help :D Will try and get some pics when I load it back up for the return journey.

All I need to do now is find somewhere to store it when not attached to the van. Didn't think that bit through, oops :oops:
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

Zok27
80-90 Mem No: 11295

Post by Zok27 »

Tinium wrote:Probably a bit late now, but for the record - just purchased and fitted one of these 4 bike tow-bar bike racks:

Not too late for me! I've just been looking at this very rack system. I'm currently torn between a Paulchen and the Atera tow ball rack. I used to have a fiamma, but need a 4 bike carrier.
Is the Atera one working well? Any pitfalls other than storage?
Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Paul
T3 Westfalia Atlantic pop top 1990 1.6td manual

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

Zok27 wrote:Is the Atera one working well? Any pitfalls other than storage?

I've got the Buzzrack (think it's cheaper than the Atera one), and it works very well indeed - only minor niggle is that getting the middle two bikes on (ie, bikes 2 and 3) can be a bit of a squeeze - worked well with road bikes with small clip peddles, but ended up taking the big flat pedals off the mountain bikes when putting them in there just to save my back and scratching the frames trying to get them both in together :) But having said that, the two vertical uprights that cause this problem work really well, and everything is held in place nice and tightly - no movement on bouncy roads or when tipping the rack over to open the boot.

The two upright veritcals fold flat for storage, and I reckon it would slide under the bed in our spare room - if I wasn't already hiding my bouldering mat under there... damn terrace houses! :D
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

organicmatter
80-90 Mem No: 13066

4 Bike Rack

Post by organicmatter »

Just ordered one on these found a 5% discount code after a quick google.

Sent from my Nokia 8110 using Tapatalk
1992 Holdsworth Villa 3, 1.9 Petrol

ginja_ninja

Post by ginja_ninja »

Hi,

For completeness, I ended up getting one of these this year:

BUZZ RACK BB4 for £175 (discount if you have a voucher from UKCampsites.co.uk)

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... C4ure5HXEB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its really lightweight but solid and the front wheels havent left the ground yet even with all four bikes on! :ok
Only issue is I cant put my largest bike (27" wheeled MTB) at the back as the handlebar would hit the rear window. So have to put one of the kids ones on first. Not totally sure how it would work with 4 MTBs, but road bikes would not be an issue.
'90 Westy California