rear wiper motor

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ray
80-90 Mem No: 94

rear wiper motor

Post by Ray »

Is there an alternative for the rear wiper motor. Mine burnt out today causing a terrible pong and didnt know what it was as i had some welding done on the previous day and thought it was due to that. I seem to remember sometime that a golf mk1 was able to be used? Haven't seen and T25 ones available anywhere and they would probably be pricey.
Ray
2.1dj RHD syncro

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: rear wiper motor

Post by CovKid »

The general conclusion is that the rear wiper on a T25 is superfluous other than possibly offroad and even then....

It was almost certainly a way to sell 'extras' by Volkswagen rather than provide anything really useful. With such a vertical piece of glass compared to other vehicles, it tends to clear itself. A quick spray of Rain-X (or similar) once a month does an arguably better job. Average price second hand is £50+ and I don't think you can even get replacement motors now. A later T4 one (if they exist) may prove a better route.

That said, if you sealed up the hole with a stainless nut & bolt, I doubt you'd even notice it gone :)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Ray

Post by Ray »

cheers for the reply, I think I will just disconnect and leave place. You never know something may turn up in distant future!
Ray
2.1dj RHD syncro

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

I used the motor from a VW polo (G reg)
It fitted on to the vans wiper assembly without any problem.
T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks for info, I thought I had read before this had been done. I got a s/h one now but useful to know in future.
Ray
2.1dj RHD syncro

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

tonytech wrote:I used the motor from a VW polo (G reg)
It fitted on to the vans wiper assembly without any problem.
T

G reg polo...which body shape? front or rear?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

tonytech

Post by tonytech »

Rear wiper. I think it was from a square backed hatchback.(1982 - 1990ish)
I bought it at a scrapy to replace the one on my mums car, but my need was greater.
Its about 4 years ago, I think the motor had a worm drive on it and just bolted straight on to the vans existing mechanicals.
I may still have the polos mechanicals, Ill have a look tomorrow and see if it helps remind me....

T

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

mine burnt out last year , i replaced it a few weeks ago, it still dont work, the switch is ok, so i assume the loom is damaged , but havent checked yet.... i havent missed it at all.
if it wasnt for my bike rack i was thinking of using the hole in the tailgate for a rear facing camera....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Probably a poor connection on the N/S (short loop earth wire that goes through the gaitor on the left side)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

tonytech

Post by tonytech »

tonytech wrote:Rear wiper. I think it was from a square backed hatchback.(1982 - 1990ish)
I bought it at a scrapy to replace the one on my mums car, but my need was greater.
Its about 4 years ago, I think the motor had a worm drive on it and just bolted straight on to the vans existing mechanicals.
I may still have the polos mechanicals, Ill have a look tomorrow and see if it helps remind me....

T
It seems it was a bit more complicated than simply swaping over the motor.
I found the remains of my origional nmotor yesterday....
The motor did indeed have a worm gear on the axel, but the front bearing is part of the gearbox/ecentric drive casting.
In my case the motor had failed because the brushes and coils had burnt out and I pulled the old motor off the gearbox and added the new one.
The motor was hel on by two twisted tabs.

T

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

I managed to burn my rear wiper out by inadvertantly switching the rear wiper on with the bike rack on. :roll:
Anyway, I managed to source a 2nd hand replacement, but noted that the earth wire was in a slightly different location. At first the replacement motor didn't work, but it was the earth wire connection that was faulty. All working fine now.
I actually find the rear wiper useful as there is a small amount of grot that gets deposited on the back window, and it's good to be able to see how many vehicles I am holding up.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

The only time i use mine is to check its still working.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Have to agree with Rob, its somewhat useless. I still find a water repellent applied now and then is more effective. However, I can understand (to some extent) those determined to add one or fix one. It comes under the same category as all the other useless 'must haves' that we tend to throw time and money at simply because it was fitted by VW at one time or other, or has a 'Westfalia' sticker on it.

Despite the hype, VW were far from perfect when it came to design. The wasserboxer engine itself is a terrible mutation of the type1 (bug) engine for starters. It is inefficient, full of design flaws which give rise to failure and expensive to replace. VW's whole 'reliability' marketing strategy (even up to the Golf), was based in no small part on the much simpler earlier Type1 engine which had no requirement for water. Long water pipes and huge hoses are like playing roulette and those rubber water seals are just plain idiotic. We gloss over that ofcourse - including me :D

Electric windows though - they're well worth having. :wink:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ukgoalie32
80-90 Mem No: 16612

Post by ukgoalie32 »

Just a quick note for any one who comes across this thread. I replaced mine with a motor from Mk2 golf. Fitted perfectly and works a treat. Looks to be exactly the same motor as was used on T25s, but a lot cheaper second hand!

Benn
1987 Caravelle GL 1.9 DG with Brosol Carb

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

didn't realise my s/h rear wiper motor was desirable.
Changed my rusted rear hatch for one from Billy & the Camileri (spelling ?) gang breaking one in Busfest a good few years back - wow that was heavy carrying back to general camping :roll:
It was a caravelle model so had all the gubbings inside - i've never got around to wiring it up (although I have some wiring I think for it) - doubt it will ever get connected - but the rear wiper looks good - even changed it for a new one when i changed the front ones (just to look better :-)