TDC Markings on a Alt Engine Van

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

TDC Markings on a Alt Engine Van

Post by bmouthboyo »

My van has a 1.8 Gti DX Kjet with a 4 speed T25 gearbox. When I put it to TDC a while back when removing the head I noticed the flywheel mark was not visible in the gearbox inspection hole.

Is this common on engine swaps? If so is there much I can do about it? I aim to use a strobe to check / adjust my timing but never done it before so wondered if I might have an issue with it lining up at TDC.

Cheers
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: TDC Markings on a Alt Engine Van

Post by mshaw1980 »

Have you turned the crank twice? Only one turn and it won't bring the valves and crank back to TDC. Sorry if this seems obvious.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks or suggesting that mshaw. I am not actually with my van until July but will double check as it was a while ago I tried to find it.

I want to eventually setup the timing, or at least check it is correct with my strobe light but remember the markings not lining up. I may have just turned the crank until i got the highest point with a screwdriver in one of the pots (1st cylinder I think), but usually I follow the Haynes manual for the engine so surprised if I missed this.

I have done an engine swap myself so a bit in the dark. Does the flywheel get replaced when putting another engine into the T25? If so is it possible to fit it in the wrong position so the TDC marking isnt right anymore?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

bmouthboyo wrote: Does the flywheel get replaced when putting another engine into the T25? If so is it possible to fit it in the wrong position so the TDC marking isnt right anymore?
Hi there - the answer to that ^^^ is "no" and "no" ;)

On your DX motor, there should be timing marks, incl a TDC mark, on the lower front pulley. Sometimes they are hard to see if the pulley is a bit oily or paint chipped etc. I marked mine (on our Scirocco) with some white paint.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

The dx flywheel and clutch are not compatible with the t25 box. You don't say how the engine is fitted to you van so will assume that it's fitted as per a diesel with diesel flywheel and clutch.
The diesels have the tdc Mark on the clutch pressure plate not the flywheel.
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Sorry I did not do the conversion so not 100% sure what came from where. I know the gear box is a 4 speed however could not find the stamp last time I looked so unsure of code.

Assuming it is all diesel parts with my DX engine, does that mean the inspection hatch is looking through to the flywheel that cannot be used? How would I see the markings on the clutch pressure plate for timing purposes?

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

bmouthboyo wrote:Assuming it is all diesel parts with my DX engine, does that mean the inspection hatch is looking through to the flywheel that cannot be used? How would I see the markings on the clutch pressure plate for timing purposes?
As I see it you cannot do it that way. You cannot see the cover assembly via the inspection hole.

Like I said, the DX engine has timing marks on the bottom pulley, which is woodruff keyed in place, so they cannot be wrong. You line them up with an edge of the crankcase. It's all in the Golf / Scirocco Haynes. I could look it up and type the relevant bits up here if that helps.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

I have never adjusted the timing before so was hoping to use strobe light to get the correct degree BTDC. Not sure how advance / retard the timing without the inspection cover. I guess I could make a mark on the flywheel when I know its at TDC via the lower pully marking?

Thanks for your help

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I feel like I am a ghost or summat and not being heard :? :wink: :lol:

Ya point your timing light at the lower pulley and time it to the timing mark (it does have a TDC mark as well, for those of you with fancy programmable timing lights) I just checked in the Haynes, and whilst there are timing marks on the flywheel, there are on the crank pulley as well. Timing is 6 degrees btdc with the dizzy vac hose disconnected.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Sorry mshaw, I have never done the timing on an engine before and not been with the van for a long time so forget he markings and methods.

I assume the timing mark you say is on the lower pully is already set as 6 degrees BTDC? So I would just aim the light at that, and turn the dizzy till it lines up with a mark on the engine lump?

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

On my Scirocco with the same engine (DX) there are two marks on the lower pulley, one is for TDC and the other is 6 degrees btdc. I marked mine with a tiny dab of white paint so they are easier to see when using my (modest) timing light.