Battery charging !

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

WKDDOUGSTAR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Battery charging !

Post by WKDDOUGSTAR »

Hi guys was just wondering is it possible to jump start my van from my leisure battery on the van.was just thinking would be a good idea.or is this a big no no?thanks for feedback ;)

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: Battery chsrging !

Post by BOXY »

If your leisure battery is a really leisure battery then it's best not to as they're not designed for the high cranking loads a starter needs. If it's just a normal battery then no problem.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

WKDDOUGSTAR

Post by WKDDOUGSTAR »

Ah really?that's good to know ;)just thought it might HD e messed up the electrics if you done that.brilliant will need to try it some time.hopefully will not need to now as just bought new battery for van ;)thanks mate.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

I confess. I have used the leisure on one occasion to jump start the van. :)
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Leisure batteries will start an engine ok just that they can't turn them over for as long as a starter battery.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Seconded. In fact most 'leisure' batteries these days are actually halfway between a starter and leisure and will start the engine if needed.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Battery charging !

Post by ghost123uk »

But if it's a "proper" leisure battery, using it as a starter can buckle the plates and wreck it.

However, if you connect the jump leads from it to the main battery, and then just leave it like that for 10 to 20 minutes, the (full) charge on the leisure battery will often transfer enough current into the main one to enable a start. Just remember to remove the jump leads before cranking.

Mind you, if you have a new starter battery fitted you shouldn't need to worry.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Those briefcase sized emergency jump start gizmo's just contain a 20 Ampere Hour sealed Lead Acid battery and are mainly intended as far as I can gather to be used alongside (parallel connection) to "Boost" vehicles flattish starter battery. Although I have it in my mind that vehicular Leisure batteries are a bit fragile in dealing with up to very high current drain of a cold engine. Anything goes though if needs must...

To be honest though I have a (starter) battery under each seat and switch over every now and again so as to keep them both topped up. So if I were to have a flat battery for some reason I can insert both isolator keys and start up whatever.
I organised this after a battle with a typical caricature German Fraulein campsite operator who insisted that I move my camper off the roadway while ADAC (German AA) came to fix my "Lichtmaschine". She now became dangerously agitated when I left two deep skid marks down the grassy slope bump starting the van. :oops:
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

I think that there is a little 'urban myth' going on here (a little truth in that true leisure batteries aren't designed for cranking but they are the exception nowadays)..... if the label on the battery states Amp Hours (ah) AND Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) then it it suitable to be used for CRANKING! as why else would CCA be quoted?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

if the label on the battery states Amp Hours (ah) AND Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) then it it suitable to be used for CRANKING

I agree, but as the original question didn't give part numbers and technical specs.

is it possible to jump start my van from my leisure battery on the van

Saying "no" was the safest option.

If the original post had said " My van is about to be swamped on Polzeath beach because, like typical a emmet, I've left my lights on and not understood the basic concept of tides, and now unless I can get my engine started I'll look a bigger t-w-a-t than Cameron when he was down here, can I used my leisure battery to jump start my van?"

I would have given a different answer. :D
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

WKDDOUGSTAR

Post by WKDDOUGSTAR »

Only on the beach when stranded .check!!;)thanks guys n gals just bought a new battery and works a treat ;) :rofl