DIY OBDC code reader recommendation

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

DIY OBDC code reader recommendation

Post by petethefeet »

All,
As per the title.
I am looking for a code reader for 2002 petrol 206 Pug but to be used on a 2003 diesel Renault and a 2008 F o r d.
Having looked around I can spend £10 to £2000 or more; I don't want to spend much more than £100 but there is so much Chinese carp on Ebay that I was looking for a recommendation.
Would be nice if I could update it but that is dependent on how much I pay for it initially.

Thanks for your input.

Pete
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Re: DIY OBDC code reader recommendation

Post by bobby-gg »

I use one of the these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-Wirele ... SwNSxVZ-aU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With an app on my android phone

https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Used it on many vehicles, including my converted tdi van, and only this week on an Isuzu rodeo and a range rover sport, connected to either no problem and reported fault codes on both, including length of time of fault and distance traveled with fault

Only vehicle I've not been fully able to connect to is my own td5 discovery but seemingly land rover choose to use different protocols as all other manufacturers for a while

So for around a tenner it's worth a go first

Hope this helps
Rob

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

I have one off these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Fa ... Sw7FRWVaFS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Works on my EOS and Rav4
2.1 Twin slider

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
I have tried a blue tooth type dongle with a windows phone app and an android tablet but it will not talk to the car; never sure it it is the car, the app or the dongle not working.
With the F O R D i have used a bit of software called Forscan with a wired connector and a lap top; this worked well when it would connect, again not sure what was the intermittent connection.
I have just bought a all in one reader, it was not the cheapest one around (i was hoping the extra cost would mean it was better????)
I will report back when it arrives.... :ok
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

I have the Maxiscan one also. It works fine on an 06 ford focus & has done for months now. Cheapo £10 one.