Replacement Domestic Boiler

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Replacement Domestic Boiler

Post by chriscburgess »

Our domestic boiler is in it's last legs and I am trying to find as suitable replacement. We live in a 4 detached with 2 bathrooms.

Worcester Greenstar have really good reviews but i just don't know what size to get e.g. Kw.

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction please?
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Replacement Domestic Boiler

Post by lloydy »

A Worcester 30ri is a nice compact boiler and will fit in a kitchen cupboard.
They also sell one called a 30cdi regular which has bigger dimensions so won't fit in a cupboard. That one also comes as a 40kw.
30kw should be enough.. You need to know how many rads you have and kw total of them. To give you an idea a normal 3 bed mid terrace would have around a 13kw boiler. Presume you are keeping your hot water cylinder?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

chriscburgess

Post by chriscburgess »

lloydy wrote:A Worcester 30ri is a nice compact boiler and will fit in a Nehctik cupboard.
They also sell one called a 30cdi regular which has bigger dimensions so won't fit in a cupboard. That one also comes as a 40kw.
30kw should be enough.. You need to know how many rads you have and kw total of them. To give you an idea a normal 3 bed mid terrace would have around a 13kw boiler. Presume you are keeping your hot water cylinder?

Thanks Lloydy . Thats really helpful. We have 13 rads and the old boiler is a Baxi 20kw (just checked) so the 30ri sounds a good option.
Cheers - I knew someone on here would know!

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Just getting quotes for worcester 30i myself and we were told it has the same central heating capacity of the 25i but gives more hot water flow for showers etc.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

That will be for the combi version, most combi boilers when the kW is over 24, the heating side will still be 24. For 99% of houses that have a combi you will never need over 24kw for the heating. For the hot water side, the higher the kW the faster you can run the tap.
I have a 30cdi combi at home, because I know how, I've down rated the heating side even more so it's only 14kw.

chriscburgess

Post by chriscburgess »

lloydy wrote:That will be for the combi version, most combi boilers when the kW is over 24, the heating side will still be 24. For 99% of houses that have a combi you will never need over 24kw for the heating. For the hot water side, the higher the kW the faster you can run the tap.
I have a 30cdi combi at home, because I know how, I've down rated the heating side even more so it's only 14kw.

So I have a hot water tank and dont want to convert to a combi boiler so does the 30ri still do the job?

Anyone found a good supplier? I wanted to get the boiler myself and just get the plumber to fit it.

chriscburgess

Post by chriscburgess »

lloydy wrote:That will be for the combi version, most combi boilers when the kW is over 24, the heating side will still be 24. For 99% of houses that have a combi you will never need over 24kw for the heating. For the hot water side, the higher the kW the faster you can run the tap.

I have a hot water tank and dont want to convert to a combi boiler so does the 30ri still do the job?

Anyone found a good supplier? I wanted to get the boiler myself and just get the plumber to fit it.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

not sure you will be able to buy a boiler if you are not gas safe registered
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Yes the 30ri is a heat only boiler so you'll be fine. Just make sure when you purchase.
As for buying it yourself, you shouldn't be able to but no one checks...
One problem though, if people ask me to fit a boiler they have bought I rarely say yes. Normally means hassle. If I do do it, then I tell the customer any problems with the boiler in the future under warranty don't call me.(unless your happy paying a call out fee) The reason a installer add a bit on is cover collection and warranty problems. If you buy it, it's your warranty.
Last edited by lloydy on 19 Oct 2015, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

dave2878
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by dave2878 »

itchyfeet wrote:not sure you will be able to buy a boiler if you are not gas safe registered

you can usually just buy the boiler over the counter, maybe you should speak to plumber or someone with a trade discount cn get it for you

i recently got ideal logic 35 and it is excellent .
that was a change from pressurised system with large water tank to combi and it heats the house no probs, water pressure is still great,,,

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

I can thoroughly recommend Lloyd to supply and fit a boiler.

Not sure where you live or if he travels that far or not.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

chriscburgess

Post by chriscburgess »

thanks folks. One of my neighbours is a plumber and he came round yesterday. It appears my biggest problem is that we only have a 15 mm gas feed and most modern boilers require a 22mm.

Because of the layout of our house the gas feed runs under the floor boards on the first floor so is really difficult to get to.

After a bit of searching though i have found this boiler which says it only needs a 15 mm feed.

https://cdn.plumbnation.co.uk/site/vail ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think?

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

to be honest it depends on the length run of gas pipe in 15mm. The older style boilers handled not getting the right gas quite well. The new style (basically a premix burner) will not work at all if the gas pressure is too low.
You won't have a particular boiler that 'allows' a 15mm pipe. If the boiler is close enough to the gas meter 15mm is fine on any boiler, its all to do with pressure loss over distance. Saying that though, a 30kw boiler is 99% likely to need a 22mm supply. Maybe even 28mm, all depends how far away from the meter it is and how many elbows are used on the gas run.
Is the gas meter on the outside of the building? if so you can run a new pipe up the outside of your house and in on the 1st floor. If not you may well just have to lift floor boards and run a new pipe, its not hard, just time consuming lifting carpets etc. you can now buy stuff called trac pipe which is stainless corrugated pipe. so you can run it all in one length with no joins and less lifting of boards as its flexible. It still needs to be secured with clips and about 3x the price of standard pipe.

Valiant is a good make, but don't buy it just because it has a 15mm gas connection. As that is a bit misleading.