Help with coolant to water ratio

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KJB
80-90 Mem No: 0

Help with coolant to water ratio

Post by KJB »

Hi All,
I've recently purchased a T25 1985 Holdsworth and I was informed by the previous owner that the coolant needed dropping and re-filling. I have got Triple QX Ethylene Glycol (OAT) based anti freeze as this is what the previous owner passed on. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ratio is for coolant and water. Again someone said 80% coolant but just thought I'd see if anyone else can back this up. Originally it was a 1.6 but had been converted to a 1.9.
Thanks ( from a new VW owner who's trying to learn the basics)

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Help with coolant to water ratio

Post by jrt »

Evening and welcome, check the wiki at the top of the page for everything you'll ever need to know :ok
For a 50/50 ratio you'll need 8 or 9 litres of coolant[to make up16-18 litres in total]
David
the future is unwritten

KJB

Post by KJB »

Thank you David,
I checked the Wiki and did see it said 50:50. It was just someone told me that for the VW water cooled engine the concentration of coolant should be more ie, 80:20. So I was just wanted other peoples opinions. Also someone else has advised me to find out the correct PH balance of coolant once its been mixed. Has anyone else ever done this and if so how?

Sorry if I ask anything stupid, but if I don't ask i'll never find out.
Kerry

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I'm guessing from a clue in the first post it's probably a diesel (gone from 1.6 to 1.9)?
In that case you don't need any fancy spec coolant. Just 50% mix of any decent glycol stuff (eg super coldmaster blue) will do. Only real advantage of posher stuff is longer life between changes. You may have been told about the special coolant requirements of the WBX engine, but that doesn't apply to diesels.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

Don't mix pink with blue otherwise you get black sludge
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

KJB

Post by KJB »

Thank you to those who replied. As I said very new to this, and yes it is a diesel. Think I will be on the forum quite a lot. Seems quite invaluable.
Happy Camping. :D

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

10/17 coolant/total iirc for total winter protection -20'