Standard Van tyre specification - speed rating?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rivage5
80-90 Mem No: 12481

Standard Van tyre specification - speed rating?

Post by rivage5 »

Hi everyone

First real post, but been an avid reader and have gained much usefull info since joining.

We have had our van (a 1982 vintage CU engined automatic devon poptop) for coming up two years and since purchacing it I have had new tyres on the list of things to do (V. long List). The existing tyres frustartingly have mases of tread and are not massively old (by comparison to some scare stories that have been reproted on here), but all 4 tyres have visible hairline radial cracks in the sidewalls and it worries me (it passed last years MOT with no mention).

However, I am not putting it off any longer and have decided to splash out on a new set.

The vehicle is running standard 14" van tyres and whilst I have set my mind standard 185 r 14 C van tyres - but I absolutley cannot find anywhere (on the forum or original VW handbook)the stated speed rating. Does anyone know (or has seen in official lterature) what should be fitted?

Currently:-

the front tyres are N (87 mph) rated
the rear tyres are P (94 mph) rated

I realise that our van will never see such intergalactic speeds so some may say it is abit acedemic - but for insurance purposes I want to make sure we fit the correct tyres. In my search on the web has revealed new ones with speed ratings generally varying from N to R - so which should we get?

It appears that there are lots of choices out there and even fancy to go for some real bling whitewall duramax tyres I have seen advertised ( at £62 + fitting each). if so those a R (106mph) rated. does any one have good or bad experience of these?

Alternatively, a Hancook RA-18 (at £45 + fitting each) also R (106mph) rated - look favourites - unless someone can advise otherwise?

I had considered different rims larger tyres etc, but with a whopping 70bhp (when new and now also runs LPG (so a few more BHP gone there)) I don't think our van needs the extra drag from wider tyres !

I hope someone has definitive advice?

Regards

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Standard Van tyre specification - speed rating?

Post by silverbullet »

No factory built van will exceed 100mph, so the weight rating is more important at 1300kg (or 1400, check the vin plate) max for the rear axle.

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Thank you for the prompt reply, and i agree the load rating is very important. The Van tyres I have looked to buy are 102 weight rated (850 kg each). The Max rear axle load is plated (and in the hand book) at 1300kg - so weight rating wise I am comfortable that being van tires - they exceed the maximim load (unless I overload it). My worry is over the speed rating.

I recall according to the hand book of my dad's 1.6 Ford focus zetec it stated that it should have V rated (upto 149 mph) speed rated tyres to the standard factory fit alloy wheels. The car will do no where near that sort of speed, but my worry is that in theory or most importantly in the opinion of an insurer - in the event of a bump, to have fitted lower speed rated tyres may invalidate his insurance - as the car would not meet manufactures minimum specification.

According to the our VW transporter owners hand book (printed june 1981), the Max speed of our Auto box equiped CU engined van - is a whopping 122 km/h which by my reckoning is about 75 mph, so I agree that working on 100 mph (160 km/h) should be more that enough (making that a Q rated tyre).

The hand book shows the tyre as :- 185 R 14 C 6PR - I belive the literal taranslation of this is:-

185 - width (185mm)
R - radial tyre
14 - 14" diameter
C - commercial
6PR - 6 ply rating

But frustratingly no refrence to speed rating....

I guess if there is no definitive answer - I will work on R (106mph) speed rated Van tyres.

I just didn't want to shell out on new tyres to be advised later they do not meet manufacturers spec.

Regards

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

102 load rated tyres will be HARD. I know this because I have 205/65/15C GTRadials which seem to grip well and are reasonably quiet, but in the cold your fillings will rattle.
97 rating are more than sufficient for the GVW and the max axle load of a T3, iirc even 95's just scrape inside the limit.

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Many thanks fror your reply, having checked the existing tyres, they are already 102 load rated but as mentioned before have fronts and back have different speed ratings (N and P). I agree with you that It can be a bit harsh and I suspect why the previous owner ran them under inflated (which is probably why they are cracking) ?

Having only ever driven this t25 I had nothing to compare the ride with.

Having checked more sites on the web, some suggest that the original tyres were 97 rated and that as no doubt every one can tell me - it appears that they don't make or sell 185 R 14 C tyres with a 97 load rating any more. I can find 91 load rated (not enough) - and may be actually car tyres, then they seem to jump to 102 and 104 load rated......

Presumably other than looks, this why maybe fellow drivers move to bigger rims, regretably, given current funding presures, I would love - but can't stretch to bigger wheels (to maybe give more options on tyres) + new tyres + maybe longer studs + maybe spacers etc if alloys.

I have tracked down 205/70 R 14 XL 98 rated tyres at reasonable money, but remeber no PAS and 70 bhp (originally) and think they are right on the limit for 5. 5 " rims. Carat rims I think are 6" with that tyre - so at the moment, I may end up with 185 R 14 C (102 load rated) R speed rated tyres!

Any other options available?

regards

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

There wasn't a speed rating, these vans where made before speed ratings became universal in 1991. Before then tyres where made adequate for the intended use and speeds at the time. CU engines can do over 80mph so N or higher rated tyres would be adequate.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Handbook states that for 5.5 inch steel wheel, tyre spec is
185R14C 6 PR 99/97 N
Or
205/70R14 97 R reinforced

Handbook was for 1989 van. I'm guessing first spec is van, second is Caravelle.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

silverbullet wrote:No factory built van will exceed 100mph.

Ahem.... 101.8mph. :wink:
http://www.easyinfo.co.za/htm/custom/ls ... rs/bus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's no 'r' in bought!

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Many thanks to all for your comments - thay have been truly helpfull. Having kept trawling through online tyre suppliers it looks like 185 R 14 C (102 load rating and R speed rated) is prety much all there is that make sure everything should be (more than) fine for insurance purposes. The MOT looms and I want the comfort (albeit rather firm) feeling that the black round things that connects us to the tarmac arent going to let us down.

kind regards.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

New Rainmax 2 .... Euro rubber for a UK driven bus.

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformat ... NMAX2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Many thanks for your time and effort looking - I had looked at those and had them on my list as possibles as a serious contender- but in the end have just orderd 4 Hancook RA-18 etc.. 102/100 load rated and R speed rated for a few quid dearer at £45 each delivered - they are from Oponeo and reported to have been made in March this year. Not tried this company before! have previously used Mytyres with very good results.

In the end the Hancook supposedly offer fractionaly slightly better wet grip (class B) and are a couple of DB quieter (70 db). with the same fuel efficiency at class C.

I will see how they go.

Many thanks once again for you reply.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

I've used Oponeo ... can't remember any particular issues apart from a little longer than average delivery time..

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

rivage5

Post by rivage5 »

Hi there - the Hancook tyres arrived yesterday from Oponeo and so far very pleased - the date of Manufacture is 1415 which if I'm right represents being made in week commencing 6th April this year, so they are only a month old! I have been quoted £10 each to fit including balancing and disposal of the old tyres so all in they should work out at £55 each fitted (£220 total) - which all in I don't think is not too bad for peace of mind.

......Except that the tyres are noe only £43 each on Oponeo........ ah well!

Regards