Brilliant Orange Project, bodywork advice

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Brilliant Orange Project, bodywork advice

Post by 937carrera »

I'm the proud owner of a 1981 2 litre camper which has a few bodywork issues.

There's a good amount of history with the camper, ever since a respray was carried out 10 years ago.

I'm fine on mechanical stuff, but haven't really done much bodywork wise, but have decided to learn some new skills :)

I'm looking for some advice, essentially about how far to go at this stage and which panels to buy, at least I think that's the sort of help I need. I'm also unsure whether to do a decent strong repair and then use the camper, or if the effort involved in making these repairs is going to be so extensive I may as well continue on and go for a glass out respray to finsh her off properly.

There are four main areas of problems. I'll post some pictures in replies to this build thread for each area

I'll be gratefull for any help and advice that people can contribute while I continue reading up on other peoples projects. From what I have seen the camper is suffering from some of the usual problems :)

Here's what she looks like at the moment

Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:20, edited 4 times in total.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

937carrera

Re: Brilliant Orange Project, bodywork advice

Post by 937carrera »

First there's the drivers side front wing which has a couple of holes :(

My starting question is should I use a pattern part or genuine VW. I believe the VW one comes complete with the step and is thicker material, but from what I can see the step seems to be fine.

Firstly, the area that it failed the MOT on

The bottom of the B post

and the front of the wheelarch. The skin of the door looks like it needs a seeing to before it gets worse

Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Next we have the offide inner sill.

I set about it with a hammer to dislodge as much of the pure rust as possible. It looks like a repair patch at the front of the inner sill has failed leaving the welds pretty intact :o

The orange paint appeared when i hammered that section - it actually seems more solid than I expected, or am I deluding myself

Here's a view of the inner / outer sill from the rear

and a general view of the underside which looks in decent shape

For this side of the van I am wondering if a patch made up from the right material will do the job - provided I make sure I get back to good metal at the repair and bare back along the rest of the sills to make sure there are no other issues :?:
Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:37, edited 3 times in total.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Then the nearside inner sill

This seems worse that the offside, with corrosion present further down the sill close to the outer sill

The large hole is behind a previous repair section which seems intact

again further back, all looks in good shape

Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:38, edited 3 times in total.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

And finally the rear wheelarch which is worse than I thought. I was aware of the seam rash but didn't pick up on the hole in the wheelarch / floor until I pulled off the peeling sealant

Seam rash on the front of the rear wheelarch

and now the rear

I have been told that the best solution here will be to get a complete section from the wheelarch up to the sliding door runners. I think I will also need a repair section for the part behind the wheelarch.

Then there's daylight showing up through the wheelarch. I wasn't expecting this and so don't have any idea if parts are available or need to be custom made. I assumed this would be quite thick material but it seems not :(

and looking down from above

I assume I should remove part of the interior before I start any cutting / welding so it doesn't set on fire :shock: :)
Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

hi
have you read much on here ref all those particular points,and can you weld
lastly we live in a nice big county, whereabouts are you
mm

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Hi mm and thanks for replying ,

I have been reading up on some of the theads about the approach to repairs. I have more reading to do and if there are some particularly good ones please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Can I weld ?....... sort of. I have a Clarke 150 MIG gasless /gas welder which I have used to do some minor welding and one sill repair with on a Vento using the gasless wire. I still have a hell of a lot to learn and will have to get a proper size gas bottle (CO2 I assume) to give myself a decent chance of producing good work.

I have the camper to do and a 412 project so need to improve my skills :)

I'm in North Yorks - it should say that below my username on the left I think, so not a million miles away from you

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

whereabouts in n yorks /
dont bother gasless see here
http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
one off rental and just pay for refills, forget co2 for whatr your doing
mm

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Thanks for the link, that looks ideal. I seem to remember when reading on the Mig Welding forum a coupleof years ago that CO2 was the low cost choice choice for those with a friendly landlord.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Once you've got the bottle, refills are well under £20 so yes. I got a full one ages ago and it sits in store.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Right, a couple of days ago I summoned the courage to get the grinder out to see how good or bad some of the parts are. Before I start cutting I would appreciate some thoughts on what I need to do. Sort of a variation of measure twice, cut once, as I don't want to get too aggressive and remove bits that are difficult to repair / replace.

First of all, the B post, jacking point and inner sill

The front wing needs replacing, there are a couple of small holes in the B post.

The bottom of the B post has gone. I assume I will need to get a replacement panel and cut back the metal above to fit the new panel

The jacking point. This doesn't look too bad does it? As I don't know what a good one looks like I assume the rear of the jacking point gets welded to the inner sill ? (I am still reading up on previous posts). I was thinking of leaving this in place, but if it's better replacing it then I will.

The inner / outer sills. I bent the inner sill back to the point where it seemed weak and obviously the outer edge of the inner sill has the lip missing. Apart from the front 6 inches or so the lower and inner edges on the inner sill appear to be solid. Am I better replacing the whole inner sill or making up sections to fill in

Lots of questions I know, I'm only at the start of my journey and still nervous :)
Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:40, edited 3 times in total.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

.........and now the right rear

I think even I can tell that the banel behind the wheelarch needs replacement. i just touched it with the grinder and it all fell apart :) , it didn't look too bad before

The wheelarch. I thought this would fall apart, but doesn't seem half as bad as I thought. My original plan was to replace the whole wheelarch and section above up to the sliding door, but am now wondering if I just need the wheelarch and should repair the main body panel

Thanks for looking
Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

There is an awful amount of work there. .. yes you will have to approach it section by section. Has your reading made the structural implications clear in some of those detail areas; so try to get some good stiffness and strength back behind the panelwork. And if you can, think future corrosion e.g. treatment and drainage improvement ;)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

You're getting me really worried now..... :roll:

I would say I might be on my way to having half an idea, still reading, picking up snippets of knowledge. I'm certainly thinking about making sure that any repairs will last, which means hidden corrosion has to be dealt with

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If you try to shoulder the task in your head, it will seem overwhelming but do one bit at a time and before you know it.....
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.