LCD clock replacement display

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

LCD clock replacement display

Post by greasemonkey »

Hi all,

The LCD clock on my dash has blown (blank with black smears where the LCD has gone) and wondering if a replacement display is available or if anyone had found an alternative clock that fits in the space?

I can easily get a dash mounted clock but thought it would be nice to replace original if possible, or any ideas on something that could go in the gap :)

Thanks,

Rob.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: LCD clock replacement display

Post by ELVIS »

You can buy working SH ones for £50 ish. Fifteen minutes or so to fit. :ok

greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

Cheers Elvis.

ELVIS wrote:You can buy working SH ones for £50 ish.

Ouch!

Might be a cheapo halfords version on the dash then.

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

billy739 (member on here) used to do them on exchange, might be worth a PM
Quit ad modum panis tosti

greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

Cheers trucker, will pm him and see.

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

Anything Vanagon listed here in the US is big money, however you can get the same vintage golf cluter with LCD clock for a lot le$$.

Replacement clock from donor Golf
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Or save all the faffing, blank it off and just use a micro battery powered LCD clock that you don't have to reset if you disconnect your main battery and can use either on the dash or in the back with a velcro fixing - more use. I can't for the life of me understand the need to pay more than a fiver for something noone else will even notice, particularly when nearly every gadget we own has a clock built in. Use the hole left by the clock to keep mints in. :wink:

If you really must have one, there are some very neat and compact clocks on ebay and the like that even give temperature readings. The ideal would be to mod the dash so it becomes a recess that the clock can be slotted into from the front. Personally I'd use the space to give voltage readings on the leisure battery - again not expensive.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

CovKid wrote: Personally I'd use the space to give voltage readings on the leisure battery - again not expensive.

Funnily enough I thought this just today - the more I looked into it I realised it's not going to be cheap and I simply wanted to keep it 'original' but thought just this morning I could pop a small led voltage display in there.

I have one on my bike that looks about the right size and are a couple of quid from China on fleabay :)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

In the end it'll probably come down to just how gripping looking at the time will be. It does seem more prudent, given that guages and sensors are more sophisticated than they were in the 80s, to perhaps use the space for something you really DO need to know. Outside temperature is often useful although you'd need to put the sensor somewhere actually free of passing draughts lest you get false readings. Voltage meters aren't wholly accurate but if you measure voltage at the battery when alternator is giving its all (with something that IS accurate) and make sure one on dash at least matches that reading, it'll be good enough.

I wouldn't rush at it anyway. You may just stumble on something that everyone else thinks is cool too and start a trend. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

:D now that's something to aim for.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Yeah but he still doesn`t now what time it is :lol:
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

CovKid wrote:Voltage meters aren't wholly accurate but if you measure voltage at the battery when alternator is giving its all (with something that IS accurate) and make sure one on dash at least matches that reading, it'll be good enough.

This is too true. A 1/2Volt discrepancy when it comes to monitoring leisure battery Voltages is a lot. I have 3 of those cheap Chinese volt meters. 2 of them are very inaccurate and even vary with temperature (not uncommon with badly designed circuits). I do have 1 that is accurate. Note that the LCD ones can be left "on" all the time as their power consumption is very negligible, but the LED ones can draw enough to require an on/off switch in it's circuit.

On another note, the LCD clock in our Scirocco has gone the same way, and I would like to replace that with an original, but not at £50 :evil:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

I found an LCD clock behind the cupboard in my westy a few weeks ago. Must get it tested and on eBay!
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)