Fitting new standard windscreen washer jets.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Fitting new standard windscreen washer jets.

Post by ghost123uk »

I am having a "messy" day today after deciding to do a few small jobs I have been putting off !

2nd question of my day = I bought a pair of the proper German OE spec standard washer jets with the nice soft "rubber" seal. (The old ones were rock hard and I thought might leak water in).

I removed the old ones, soaked the new ones in hot water as recommended and fitted them. They popped into place OK, but are as loose as the old ones. On examining them, the clips appear to require a thicker amount of metal behind them to "pull" the seal tight up.

I wonder what is going on ?

I also wonder what to do to get a watertight seal ? (Silicone ?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Re: Fitting new standard windscreen washer jets.

Post by baj25 »

I had the same problem when I replaced one of mine. The original was loose, that's the only reason I replaced it (thinking a tag must have broken off) but new one was equally loose. I figured new one is unlikely to come out again any time soon so I sikaflexed the blighter in. HTH, Bri

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I have a new one but have not fitted it, I wimped out and superglued the crack on the old one after reading horror stories.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I don't have any Sikaflex, I'm not sure why most folk say don't use Silicone RTV Gasket type stuff. I know they say it is acidic, but it doesn't damage alloy or steel when used as a gasket compound ? Could I glue my washer jet in with it or is that a big no no ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

has it got the vag circles on the rear and vw number etc ? there are the shiny black ones and the satin black both genuine,and available from vw for only about £6, forget oe spec and oe the other
i have never had an issue with these and no need for warming them either
mm

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

Has anyone got photo and/or dimensions of the hole the nozzles fit into?
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

In the end, to "sort" the loose fit, I used some good quality 5 minute Epoxy and glued them in :shock: It worked and the seal is tight up against the bodywork as I stood there for over five minutes pressing it whilst it set !

ScienceBoy wrote:Has anyone got photo and/or dimensions of the hole the nozzles fit into?

So I can't help with that ^^^ and god knows what I will do if I ever have to remove them again :?