Re: Buying Tyres Online Is Not As Stupid As I Thought

Post by trucker »

I've used Etyres a couple of times, cheap and fitted at your house :ok
Quit ad modum panis tosti

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

I shop around the online sites and for fitting use the fitting locator at http://www.mytyres.co.uk to find best price local for the fitting of your tyres even if you purchase from someone else. Last few times I have had tyres it has been for winter ones and the online places came out miles cheaper than local places.

Then phone the garage to confirm the price. Can get it down to £30 locally here in London for four inc disposal, balancing and valves. Make sure the valves are included in the quote as the last place I went to waited until old tyres off before telling me it was an extra £2.50 per corner for valves if I wanted them. I checked the internet link once home and their price of 6.50 per tyre included them. Didn't have this problem the other times I've had tyres fitted though.

I also tried the nearest back street second hand tyre place for a price and they wanted £10 per corner for fitting plus £2.50 disposal despite a big sign outside offering used tyres from £9 inc fitting. Told them no thanks.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Camskill....Cumbrian and cheapest for me...fit them yourself.

As mentioned above the online asda etc prices are ok now but wait until that's the only option..then they have the upper hand..again.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I go for the best quality tyres and brakes rather than the cheapest. Life depends on it! Am I the only one?
:?:

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

pirate-pete wrote:I shop around the online sites and for fitting use the fitting locator at http://www.mytyres.co.uk to find best price local for the fitting of your tyres even if you purchase from someone else. Last few times I have had tyres it has been for winter ones and the online places came out miles cheaper than local places.

Then phone the garage to confirm the price. Can get it down to £30 locally here in London for four inc disposal, balancing and valves. Make sure the valves are included in the quote as the last place I went to waited until old tyres off before telling me it was an extra £2.50 per corner for valves if I wanted them. I checked the internet link once home and their price of 6.50 per tyre included them. Didn't have this problem the other times I've had tyres fitted though.

I also tried the nearest back street second hand tyre place for a price and they wanted £10 per corner for fitting plus £2.50 disposal despite a big sign outside offering used tyres from £9 inc fitting. Told them no thanks.

A few points there...re disposal...take them away yourself, and re valves..either use your old ones or really annoy them by turning up with your own..they cost peanuts in bulk..2.50 each is blatant profiteering to scrape back a few pounds on a discounted tyre. With regard to balance ask how much a 10 gram weight costs and offer to pay by the gram plus by the hour for the labour?

Don't forget to ask for your old weights back...lead ones are worth more than the modern zinc junk and legally you own them.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Ralf85 wrote:I go for the best quality tyres and brakes rather than the cheapest. Life depends on it! Am I the only one?

Nope. I'm with you...there is more to a tyre than black and round despite the morons I work with trying to tell me otherwise...I see how they wear on daily basis...and feel how they drive although I must say modern cars feel ok with cheap tyres it seems but that because the feedback is minimal on most...however the point it break away is hard compare.

I like contis, uniroyal are good for the money, Dunlop too...mich are the "best" but wear is average I find..don't rate Firestone..Bridgestone are long lasting but feel numb.

Budget tyre wise...maragoni are ok, hankook also..avoid the greenlines, regals, wanlis, and a million other substandard brands.

I reckon on something that maybe on your van for over 10 years on a camper is worth spending upto 20% more on as cheap tyres age badly on the whole...not all do..will " tingtongtyre..china" care in 4-5 years that your 8mm treaded tyre is scrap because the walls are cracked beyond all hope? Nope.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Quote..."Make sure the valves are included in the quote as the last place I went to waited until old tyres off before telling me it was an extra £2.50 per corner for valves if I wanted them. I checked the internet link once home and their price of 6.50 per tyre included them. Didn't have this problem the other times I've had tyres fitted though.

Love to see the faces if you just said..."oh...pop em back on then..I'm off"

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

Ralf85 wrote:I go for the best quality tyres and brakes rather than the cheapest. Life depends on it! Am I the only one?

No Patrick, you're not the only one who wants good tyres on your van. The thing is, once you've decided on the brand, don't you wamt them at the best price available? For good mid price tyres I would for Barum Vanis. For my T4 I would choose Continental Vanco 2. Then I would go to P&T Motors in Leigh to buy them & have them fitted for an all in price lower than the internet sellers.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

max and caddy wrote:Quote..."Make sure the valves are included in the quote as the last place I went to waited until old tyres off before telling me it was an extra £2.50 per corner for valves if I wanted them. I checked the internet link once home and their price of 6.50 per tyre included them. Didn't have this problem the other times I've had tyres fitted though.

Love to see the faces if you just said..."oh...pop em back on then..I'm off"

Just had a thought about valves. I wanted a couple to make an air powered rocket for the kids. Next time I was having a new tyre fitted I asked if I could have the old valves. I was told,'no' as I might refit them to a wheel and that could be potentially dangerous. Didn't really think much about it but, looking back, I'm more than suspicious that maybe THEY were reusing them, flogging them on?
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

pirate-pete

Post by pirate-pete »

A few points there...re disposal...take them away yourself, and re valves..either use your old ones or really annoy them by turning up with your own..they cost peanuts in bulk..2.50 each is blatant profiteering to scrape back a few pounds on a discounted tyre. With regard to balance ask how much a 10 gram weight costs and offer to pay by the gram plus by the hour for the labour?

Don't forget to ask for your old weights back...lead ones are worth more than the modern zinc junk and legally you own them.[/quote]

Cheers. Will need a couple of car tyres soon so will take your advice and keep valves and old tyres. Could always take them back at night and leave them on his forecourt as a gift :lol:

pirate-pete

Post by pirate-pete »

Ian and Lins wrote: Just had a thought about valves. I wanted a couple to make an air powered rocket for the kids. Next time I was having a new tyre fitted I asked if I could have the old valves. I was told,'no' as I might refit them to a wheel and that could be potentially dangerous. Didn't really think much about it but, looking back, I'm more than suspicious that maybe THEY were reusing them, flogging them on?

I forgot all about that. I'd been reading on the web a couple of weeks about making bottle rockets too for my five year old for the summer. She's well into that sort of thing and ame back from school the other day with instructions to make a volcano from vinegar and baking powder! Again I'd have thought it your property so no way they should have stopped you having them back.

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

max and caddy wrote:
pirate-pete wrote:I shop around the online sites and for fitting use the fitting locator at http://www.mytyres.co.uk to find best price local for the fitting of your tyres even if you purchase from someone else. Last few times I have had tyres it has been for winter ones and the online places came out miles cheaper than local places.

A few points there...re disposal...take them away yourself

and do what with them? most tips dont allow them or charge you just as much as a tyre place
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I look for my next set of tyres all the time. Most recent set I got (online) was 4 new 8-ply Michelins for £120 and I use a lorry tyre fitter to do mine. Before that I used to remove and fit them myself the old fashioned way with big tyre levers - got quite adept at it but as said, what with the balancing/disposal its better to get them fitted.

Either way, don't buy tyres when you need them - buy them when you don't - its cheaper - as much as 50% cheaper and you can pick and choose rather than having to go to nearest outlet. The set I have on at the moment cost me the grand total of £40 for all four! - again by nosing for a set when I didn't need any. The opportunities do arise, both locally and online - you just have to keep looking.
Last edited by CovKid on 25 Mar 2014, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

busbuddy wrote:
max and caddy wrote:

A few points there...re disposal...take them away yourself

and do what with them? most tips dont allow them or charge you just as much as a tyre place
Redneck plant containers, I have a couple outback with veggies growing in them :oops:
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you