Chrome 'moon' hubcaps - what colour wheels behind?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DevonMark
80-90 Mem No: 11545

Re: Chrome 'moon' hubcaps - what colour wheels behind?

Post by DevonMark »

AdrianC wrote:
DevonMark wrote:E D I T - Axle stands are as expensive as I expected. Think I might make a purchase.

Always useful, if not essential. NEVER get under any car supported by a jack alone...

I like the "ratchet" style ones, where you can just slide the stand under, then lift the upper section to the best height and it'll stay there. Then, when you come to lower, you just jack up a bit, one hand under to flick the release lever, and it's much easier to pull them out again. The ones with a pin are horribly fiddly.

Remember, each pair doesn't need to be rated for the entire weight of the van, because they aren't supporting the entire weight of the van.

All really useful advice, thanks again.
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top
https://twitter.com/mark_lee

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

DevonMark wrote:
AdrianC wrote:
DevonMark wrote:E D I T - Axle stands are as expensive as I expected. Think I might make a purchase.

Always useful, if not essential. NEVER get under any car supported by a jack alone...

I like the "ratchet" style ones, where you can just slide the stand under, then lift the upper section to the best height and it'll stay there. Then, when you come to lower, you just jack up a bit, one hand under to flick the release lever, and it's much easier to pull them out again. The ones with a pin are horribly fiddly.

Remember, each pair doesn't need to be rated for the entire weight of the van, because they aren't supporting the entire weight of the van.

All really useful advice, thanks again.

Also - Halfords are doing a sturdy 3 tonne Advanced Range ratchet style stands for £28 - I snapped up a pair on offer for £20 at local store …... and never felt safer when doing my recent works for mot under the van.

Cheap and money well spent when compared with the consequenses of having a van fall on your chest

DevonMark

Post by DevonMark »

Thanks for that Matt.

What sort of paint is best for spraying the wheels? Want to go for a slightly off white to match the colour of the van.
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Definately whatever is the body colour for me….

What moons are you getting - sunny chrome or the vw heritage Stainless ones at £80 a pop ?

Matt - brighton

DevonMark

Post by DevonMark »

matt brighton wrote:Definately whatever is the body colour for me….

What moons are you getting - sunny chrome or the vw heritage Stainless ones at £80 a pop ?

Matt - brighton

Not decided yet mate, but probably a set of chrome ones off ebay if I can find some.

I meant more what type of paint, rather than what colour. Is there anything special I need to look out for?
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

DevonMark wrote:Thanks for that Matt.

What sort of paint is best for spraying the wheels? Want to go for a slightly off white to match the colour of the van.

I did mine in cellulose - same colour as the body - uper half - mine is brown n cream

I got a rattle can made up at local auto paint suppliers.

Sometimes it makes sense to get them to mix up a litre of body colour in a pot at same time as getting an aerosol can done. If you are doing the wheels then doing some seam rash and minor bodywork at same time makes sense. It will keep in the shelf if you get any professional spraying done later

Other option…….. is to get normal brush on oil based paint made up at B&Q - they do a colour matching service if you take in a bit of easy removable bodywork - like the side door runner cover for them to scan into the computer that calculates the tints to base coats

Matt

ps - i think the blue to match the stripes would look rather nice !

Tobyt25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Chrome 'moon' hubcaps - what colour wheels behind?

Post by Tobyt25 »

I quite like white wall tyres, seen a couple of vw's with them. What do you think? ImageImage £50 for a set of 4 they go over your normal tyres.

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

i like them toby :ok

matt

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Here were mine when newly painted...

After spending ages every few months trying to polish out the rust on the hubcaps I now just take a scotchbrite pad and rub them hard with tcut - much quicker. The rimbellishers are stainless so just need a quick clean.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

StuM wrote:Here's mine with black wheels, black hub caps and chrome beauty rings:

looks awesome. :ok

makes me want to refurb my wheels *again* after the rust came through. i also have black caps, but silver wheels. loving the trim rings too though..
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

matt brighton wrote: I did mine in cellulose - same colour as the body - uper half - mine is brown n cream
We did same with old white on ours. How are your hubs? Ours went very rusty over winter :( I had rust treated inside but foolishly didn't lacquer the outside.
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol