Our syncro Caravelle

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Our syncro Caravelle

Postby silverbullet » 10 Dec 2012, 12:32

Who dares, wins! SS is probably best yet, nice and taut sounding unlike the DJ which was rather "endy" in comparison (never mind the horrible mid-rpm clatter, still to be investigated on strip-down)
A bit of faffing with the DG carb auto choke, I think that the clock spring is going home as I had to back it right off to prevent over-choking and stalling on the warm-up. The VW speedshop exhaust is scarcely louder than the standard one and gives much better ground clearance so doubly pleased.
There is a tiny water jacket weep on one side, hey ho. K-seal to the rescue as this is only an interim motor anyway.

Otherwise, for an over-tyred old heap loaded up with a roof tent and a complete MV on the floor, it fairly flies :D

PS If I can get a few miles on it I may just get time to swap to the modified manifold "hedgehog" to see what improvement - if any - it makes to the running.
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby silverbullet » 11 Dec 2012, 22:17

It was all going so well too...viewtopic.php?f=37&t=111640

I'm no good with these fixed-jet carbs, wish I had the time to sort the SU manifolds!

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 21 Dec 2012, 20:43

Now it's fixed :D

I'll try not to kill this motor before May Day...

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 21 Jan 2013, 11:05

Just a quickie: Recent weather forced a swift MOT and tune-up to press the old thing into service, currently running CO at 1% but still a tad spluttery at small throttle openings so I guess that the primary throttle spindle is worn and passing air. Otherwise it goes really well, fuel consumption is no different to the DG at a glance even with the roof tent on, happy sat at 60 mph and 3200rpm.

Noisiest thing at that speed is tyre roar, quite unacceptable! :wink:

Got up to Newland's Corner, Dorking with 2/3 of kids for sledging fun Sat afternoon, car-park was a compacted snow horror story but we managed to pull up on the flat so no dramas. Saw Tom Ninja's tasty Joker there but didn't recognize him due to his "Scott of the Antarctic" look. Left before it all got messy at 3pm, people were still arriving then!

Then had to run down to Hastings Sunday night, all good apart from bowling up to a X-roads a little quick and then 4-wheel drifting a left turn...no-one waiting at lights so all good. Keep the power on, be brave...and relax.

So glad I didn't sell it :D

PS Still waiting to pull a difflock on.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 26 Jan 2013, 18:07

Carb received a rebuild today courtesy of a kit from Brickwerks, to cure the unpleasant light throttle hesitation. Write up in Technical, found that the accel. valve was damaged due to manufacturing burrs on the carb body! All sorted, going to run it up tomorrow.

I also got to fitting a pair of shiney shiney MRB pushrod tube covers :D and then did what I shall call my "Phase 1" mod to the Speedshop exhaust, to improve the departure angle (which is already a vast improvement over the standard/JP system)

Before

After

Basically I can take a straight edge from the heel of the tyre, across the engine bar and to the rear valance without the exhaust catching. Phase 2 will be raising it further and increasing the system length, but that's a way off yet.

The bu66er is that I thought that I had enough SS bolts to finish the job, but of course I didn't :oops:

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 27 Feb 2013, 20:38

I finally remembered to weld the prop rail/bashplate mount/rear crossmember reinforcing thingy together (must think of a snappier name for that) so should get it fitted before Coney:

Holes are for either type of throttle cable, just in case :wink:

I also have some heavy channel suitable for backing up the vertical tabs at the front end of the bashplate, they won't be man enough after the above has been stitched on. Will get another pic up when all done.

PS if anyone's interested in the final result, I can post up some sizes for the DIY'ers or maybe get a small batch made?

silverbullet
Trader

Postby HarryMann » 02 Mar 2013, 13:29

Oh, I need one of those too Ian :wink:
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby silverbullet » 04 Mar 2013, 12:57

Noted :wink: Probably not got any suitable materials but that's soon sorted... everything is going to the works in anticipation, so no home garage workshop anymore. Probably for the best!

silverbullet
Trader

Postby syncropatrick » 04 Mar 2013, 15:38

Me to!
WANTED: A T25 double glazed plastic window, in any condition.
syncropatrick

80-90 Mem No: 5294

Postby silverbullet » 11 Mar 2013, 11:35

OK gents I shall bear you in mind. Maybe a fresh topic for that one, to see who else can appreciate the benefits?

Hot news: the highest-priority Monday morning job was to pop over to the good folk at WebCon to pick up a shiney new DMTL 32/34 carb for the old heap. They don't make the 34DAT for the T3 anymore (it was an old Alfa carb or something) so I had to have the LT 2.4 spec one. It's still a 2E3 replacement but manual choke. A JX cold-start cable will sort that out! Throttle cable is on the offside and approaching from the flywheel end, so all good so far :D

I may have to adjust the height of the carb spacer to align the air intake and the carb well need a bit of jet adjustment on the rollers; all part of the fun. A spot of adaptation will be needed to use the syncro 2E3 fuel swirl pot too as the LT's have a seperate one, but that's no big deal.

Looking forward to the old girl having lungs to match her legs, so to speak :lol:

silverbullet
Trader

Postby weimarbus » 11 Mar 2013, 15:35

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the weber conversion,Ive had mine for about 3years and been happy with it but they do get alot of bad press on this forum, not really sure why. Was on 1.9 DG now on 2.1MV both engines have also been running on LPG but ran smoother on petrol with the weber (even better on LPG)
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's
weimarbus

80-90 Mem No: 10165

Postby axeman » 11 Mar 2013, 18:41

although it is not 100% relevant i changed my pirbrerg 175cd carb (over complex version of an SU) from the b230, to a webber dtmr 32/36. basically an older vision of the dtml the gains were instant, in power and economy. this was a common conversion during when the engines were common. i bought the kit from a running car so it was "bolt on" and it will work which it did, how ever i took the va to a rolling road to have it jetted correctly for my engine. it was some of the best money that i have spent, less that £100 a couple of years ago.

the only reason i can think of the bad press is that people do not want to spend the money on the rolling road to have them jetted correctly.

neil
syncro doka 1.8 20v
axeman

80-90 Mem No: 6410

Postby silverbullet » 12 Mar 2013, 11:12

It's looking like less of a bolt-on and more of an engineering re-work. The supplied adaptor is disappointingly crude and since the carb will still need spacing upward to get the filter ducting to line up (as per the unique P.burg syncro arrangement) I'm going to make a tall alloy spacer/adaptor and have it welded onto the manifold. One less joint to leak :wink:
The throttle cable line is too high as well, not ideal for a syncro at all, so I'll try and re-use the original 2e3 cam and VW cable arrangement to put that right. Cut'n'shut time!

Pics once something has been achieved :roll:

PS Wish that I could get the wagon indoors in his weather too!

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 18 Mar 2013, 14:45

The inlet manifold and ducting have gone for welding, should be back in a week or so. The 2E3 linkage married up to the Weber with no dramas (tiny fork welded onto Primary throttle arm) and now I can't wait to get it all fitted and working!

I shall choose to ignore the knocking CV joint, it's cold and wet out there and I can't get the van inside the workshop yet :(

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 25 Mar 2013, 20:57

I got my welding back today, a whiff of vanity but it's my work and I'm not letting someone else take the credit down the line! "Work to the best of your ability in all you do" or something like that...well chuffed with this :D

I did a bit of file'n'flap-wheel work before and after welding:

I have saved the program used to make the Weber adaptor that matches the manifold top exactly, if anyone's interested?

The Weber, now fitted with with ex-Volvo modified top adaptor to mount the Corrado-type k-jet rubber bonnet (thanks Neil!) and carrying the 2E3 throttle spindle:

Nothing quite as satisfying as a mockup to check for fit before final assembly:

None of this would be possible without the extra 55mm headroom that the syncro gives over the 2wd, but you could do the same job in a pickup. I have also used most of the 30mm clearance that was between the 2E3 top duct and the engine cover. I hope that the k-jet bonnet will improve the airflow feeding into the carb, the flat duct always looked like it was a prime candidate for unwanted reflected pressure waves from the chokes (bad news) along with looking no good for air flow.

Tomorrow I'll get it all bolted up and see about mounting the fuel swirl pot and the final height for the spindle bracket. Add in a choke cable and we're rocking!

silverbullet
Trader

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro