Subaru VSS retro-fit query

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Subaru VSS retro-fit query

Post by silverbullet »

Finally got around to fitting this, only to waste most of the time removing redundant stereo and fog-lamp wiring from under the dash and chassis rails (the way some people choose to route wiring, the mind boggles!)

Anyway, where's the best place to take the VSS 12v ignition switched fused supply from on a 1990 bus? Wire colours too please as I can't get my head around the Haynes "Book of Lies" diagrams...

This is on a dodgy hacked Subaru wiring loom of unknown origin, so I have to patch into the VW dash end for 12v supply and earth.

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: Subaru VSS retro-fit query

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

What I did was to put all the new things I needed a 12v feed for on one new fuse from the fusebox - other dials etc - an easy way to do this is to put an inline fuse in from one of the tabs on the back of the fusebox on the right as you look at it. There's two vertical rows - one if battery positive, and one is the X bus - that's the one I took. It's good to put a new fuse in whenever you add new stuff in.

Hope that helps.

Ewen

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Thanks Ewen, I've yet to work out the back of the T3 fuseboard! Your advice helps a lot, bringing a bit of clarity to this job. Now if someone were to publish a diagram of ^^^ it would be ideal wiki material (unless it's already in there and I haven't found it yet?)
Ian

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello again Ian,

I'm sorry I don't really have any pictures from my van, but here's the back of a fusebox:

and here's a post I did (mostly irrelevant) with a picture of the back - the bentley has all these connections documented I think.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=78992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What you want for an X bus connection (i.e. ignition on and going through the load reduction relay, hence not the ignition switch) is the "G" connectors I think - best to test them though as I never documented exactly which of "G" and "P" did what - I just tested them and used them!

If you're really clever you can try and exploit the unused connectors on the multiconnectors to find a spare fuse location on the fusebox - I never did this, but I think some people have.

Not sure if that clarifies things or not -

Ewen

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

So that's what X means! I was just scrolling through Bentley but must have overshot the relevant page. Off to do the job right now...

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

P is permenant live 12V unfused

I once spent some time figuring out the G connections (sad f'er)

this isn't definative and should be checked, especially it would be useful if someone with a TD checked it because I haven't been able to confirm the G6 as it doesn't seem to do anything on a petrol

G1 and G3 Fuse 12 - 20Amp
G2 and G5 Fuse 18 - 10 amp - ignition switched pin 15
G4 - tacho D+ (maybe diesel only ?)
G6 - nul - ? D1/A4 = Diesel glow plug indicator
G7 - pin 56 lights
G8 - pin 58b lights
G9 - Fuse 20 - 10 amp - pin 58 lights
G10 = Z = washer

hope this helps

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ta Aidan, looks like this was a useful thread to start after all! Since the bus is fully loaded inc. a/c (but no aux. heater, that's for another thread) I should be able to work out what's free to use for small load devices like this.
I have found a few stray factory 1mm wires that I guess are for accessories, will take a pic as I cannot readily identify.

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

For what it's worth - on the diag. above - the vertical connector on 'M' is the one I just used to take a live feed for rear fog - ie it only comes live when the headlights are turned on - clearly linked inside the box . I took the box out the van to take a look with Nick, but :run when opening it up was mooted. Fog light all sorted.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I used a spare G terminal in the end, they all appear to be ignition switched and live on positions 1 and 2.
Thanks guys :ok