Caravelle Roof Vents - what size?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

Caravelle Roof Vents - what size?

Post by smokeyjon »

Is anyone able to tell me easily what size the aperture that these roof vents fit into is (my van's all ply lined out so I can't get to mine)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T3-T25-Bus ... 20c545f604

If it's about the right size (about 110*55mm) I'd like to get one to get some ventilation (when camping) into my panel van via the rear 1/4 vents (I'm too precious about it to cut any windows or vents into the main shell!)

If they're about that size has anyone got a black one lying around? I also need the large plastic vent insert for the rear 1/4 (RHS).

Cheers in advance
John
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Caravelle Roof Vents - what size?

Post by 1664 »

Unless I have the wrong end of the stick here I think these would be next to useless when camping as they are for ventilation with the blower or air con running and slot into the van inner channels/ducts.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

no, your holding the right end. :lol:
you either fit opening windows or a fan on the roof light, or get a vent grill for the cab windows.
mm

smokeyjon

Post by smokeyjon »

Sorry... I guess I was trying to find the answer without boring you all with the full detail of my question. But since you ask, here goes...

I've built a 12v extract system with 110*55mm ducting (usually used or kitchen extract etc) and an in-line fan. The idea is threefold:
- to get it to pull some air across the back of my gas fridge (which otherwise just makes us hotter and hotter when in warm climates)
- to extract cooking steam and
- to vent the fan (mechanically) when it gets hot - cab windows don't do much (especially with my silver screen), but this way I can extract hot air and pull cooler air in
And all without cutting any holes in my roof or main bodywork panels

The only bit left to do is to deal with the hole in the van, which'll be behind the black rear corner vents to avoid making holes in the main bodywork. If this vent is about the right size it can sit in the hole on the end of the ducting. I'm working with a merc one at present but I think this vent cover might work better. Hence I want to find out the size of hole they fit into.

Anyone got a van in bits on the drive so they could measure the hole, or a vent in the garage that they coould look at?
Cheers

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

if nobody else does i will measure one in he morning for you
mm

smokeyjon

Post by smokeyjon »

OK dude cheers - I tried my local breaker today but they didn't have any :(

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

1 minute
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ok, hole size is ,120mm x 38mm
mm.mm.mm.. :rofl

smokeyjon

Post by smokeyjon »

mm.mm.mm.mm....

Thanks for measuring Mike. It's not as perfect as it appeared then (must get the caliper settings on my eyes checked), but I think it'll still work better than what I already have. Have you got a black vent cover in your collection of tat by any chance (you did say last time that you often have a van in bits on its way out). Beer tokens are obviously on offer (let me know a price if you have one in mind). As I said before I also need the large black plastic vent insert from the o/s rear corner, as I have butchered mine one stop too far!

No worries if you haven't... both seem to be on ebay as we speak, but sometimes people see it as a bonus to be able to reduce their tat storage in the garage/shed!

If I ever get it to work and am not completely embarrassed by how it ends up I'll post a pic!
Cheers
John

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

how many are you after :rofl (black of course)and I'll have a look in one of the sheds.
rear external vents I dont have spare sorry,
what i have done in the past to kkep or get cool air in to the rear bit(i had a sort of dog garage ! in the back bit) was to cut a pair of holes in the inner skin of the rear 1/4 and fit 2 sort of 90' elbows about 3" diameter from a fjord, they were the ones that fitted in either end of what those vans call a dash and had the adjuster wheel to open /close and direct. worked really well on the move and also stationary if the wind was blowing from that direction, I could have fitted them into both sides and then they would have worked most of the time.
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

hey , sod embarresment, we only learn by our own and others mistakes as well as successes,
mm

smokeyjon

Post by smokeyjon »

One'd do fine dude - thanks for looking!

I know what you mean about learning from mistakes etc... but I'm not planning to shout about it if it looks rubbish AND doesn't really work :oops: The mrs has already been moaning that I'm wasting my time!!

If I understand your old vent system correctly then I'm trying to do a similar thing but in reverse - I want to draw warm air out. I've got a fan ready to install but it'll draw 3.5A so I can't use it too much (bloody noisy too). I've been trying to find a vent that sits neatly inside the ducting (which'd go through the inner panel, and emerge from the quarter vent) so that I could add a T and vertical section that'd make it draw like a chimey. I might just be able to do it using the 'velle vent cover.... I went right round my local scrappers looking for dash vents and have a few which are directional and closable, but even the best one I have (merc 190) is awkward to fit...

Let me know if you find any. I'll stick a wanted in too now. Cheers

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

now ive just read what i put , the size i gave was for the vents in a westie poptop , but i have velle as well so will reconfirm, but they are near the same cept the velle are push/clip fit and the westie 2 screws

50 watt motor ! get an axial one or stick a comp cooling fan or 3 in
mm

smokeyjon

Post by smokeyjon »

I'm not sure that pc fans'd be u to it - you can only fit 2 x 50mm fans in and the pipework is almost 2m long. I didn't think they'd like the cooking steam too much either. What's an axial fan?

This is the fan I'm using:
http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merc ... _Code=mrst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've read that current and fan speed can be reduced using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) so hope to set it up a 3-speed. A guy in maplins told me it was easy (all the stuff for <£10 but I have to build it myself). Yeah right - I've been trying to figure it out on the net and it may as well be in chinese!

Exciting news about the vent. It might be a better fit then :D