Window seals

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bilson
80-90 Mem No: 14455

Window seals

Post by Bilson »

Hi, I've just signed up here hoping for a bit of help/advice as I'm having a bit of trouble working out where I've got water getting into my van. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be coming in from around the seals although they are the originals, and water does sit underneath them on the outside
Last edited by Bilson on 15 Mar 2016, 22:54, edited 4 times in total.
Aircooled 2.0 CU Twin Solex Carbs

fodtommo
80-90 Mem No: 8963

Re: Westfalia Leaking Water

Post by fodtommo »

Did you lift the window rubbers with wire or similar for the respray - if so this will be the problem, the rubber will have become stiff over the years and once lifted dosnt seal properly again. The water tracks all over the place asif by magic...! I have found an old fashioned product used by my dad is perfect for this much much better than silicone. Its called Dum-Dum - its kind of sticky but not sticky,semi-solid consistancy and really does the job with nowhere near the mess of other stuff. It lasts for years as well, my dad did the windows on his triumph TR when he resprayed it in 1978, and its still leak free! I can get it in a local garage but this post has promted me to discover its been discontinued in 2011 after many years but 3M strip caulk is suggested as the same thing;

http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08578-black.html
1986 Leisurdrive Poptop, 1.6d - Rebuilt and Camping with a Vengeance :)