Seat belts??

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25DUB
80-90 Mem No: 10914

Seat belts??

Post by T25DUB »

Little confused on this matter slightly worries me what the law is???

In my van the rear bench has no seat belts fitted (never has) now I rarely have passengers mainly just me and my wife... My question is for me to carry passengers in the back do I have to have seat belts fitted or because they have never been fitted am I ok to still to have people in the back.

Rob
1986 VW T25 Autosleeper 78ps 1.9 petrol

My wife calls her my other Lady..... I call her my other money Pit ;)

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Re: Seat belts??

Post by andisnewsyncro »

As I understand it, it's dependant on how your van is registered on the V5.
If it says "motorcaravan" then you're ok, legally anyway.

There's no restrictions on the use of rear seats with seatbelts in motorcaravans that would affect T3/T25s...

You might, however, wish to install belts for the safety of any passengers that you do carry, and yourselves in the front; 2 unrestrained adults will hit you with one heck of a thump in the event of a sudden and unexpected stop..

If it's not a "motorcaravan" then this doesn't apply & I don't know the regs - sorry

:ok
What a long strange trip it's been

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

here you go -
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/In ... t_legality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

T25DUB
80-90 Mem No: 10914

Post by T25DUB »

thank you very much has answered all questions... we very rarely carry passengers maybe once a year if that but i do think itwill be best to get a few fitted... just in case you never know what might happen.

thanks again

Rob
1986 VW T25 Autosleeper 78ps 1.9 petrol

My wife calls her my other Lady..... I call her my other money Pit ;)

Evsi
80-90 Mem No: 10052

Post by Evsi »

Am i right in saying that if you have a homebrew camper then there lies a loophole to be prosecuted if caught carrying passengers?
It's not rust, they're heat blisters....

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Regardless of the law, it must be common sense to fit seat belts to all forward-facing seats even if there is no clarity on it. As long as you make/buy some load-bearing plates to hold the bolts (big massive heavy-duty washers to you and me) then seat belts can soon be fitted. I used this approach for my DIY steel rock n roll bed in the WIKI. I like everything in the back to stay put - passengers included.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Evsi
80-90 Mem No: 10052

Post by Evsi »

Yep, i absolutely agree. It's just my set up is side facing and completely timber framed (not really any way of fitting a belt of any sort) Maybe i'll try a roller coaster style drop down bar from the roof :)
It's not rust, they're heat blisters....

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I don't know of any compulsory law in side facing seats and I think they'd do more harm than good. Only option there would be to redesign layout but thats not a very practical suggestion I know.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.