Loss of power (with smoke) in 1.6 diesel T25

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SamD

Loss of power (with smoke) in 1.6 diesel T25

Post by SamD »

Hi,

This is my 1st post on the forum having recently bought my 1st T25 so bear with me whilst I ask stupid questions and show my ignorance!

I bought a 1986, water-cooled, 1.6 diesel T25 in April. It is 5 speed (unusually reverse is press down and top left with 1st gear being press down and bottom left). The MOT history showed no significant problems needing attention. The van did not have much service history although a new starter motor and battery were installed in 2008. The previous owner told me that when the fuel gauge reads a 1/4 full it is actually empty. The van in my opinion drove ok (although I had only driven 1 or 2 before this one) when bought and driven back from Ipswich to Chichester. However, since then it dramatically loses power/stalls when on shallow inclines whether on a local road, A road or Motorway sometimes with lots of whitish smoke. Even gear changes do not help. After it has stopped/stalled when restarted it starts as if nothing has happened most of the time.

The clutch it turned out was knackered and was replaced last week. All seemed ok (gear changes seemed a little juddery though) until driving right around roundabouts and then accelerating up a shallow incline or just driving along a inclined area of road (no steeper then 1 in 8 -10) when the loss of power/engine stalling with whitish smoke returns. The same garage that replaced the clutch cannot find anything obvious wrong with the engine and are of the opinion that a 1.6 engine is just not powerful enough for such a heavy van. From me explaining the problem a VW air-cooled expert believes it to be the diesel supply playing up (but he hasn't looked at the engine) and another VW expert thinks the throttle needs adjusting/replacing to give the van more power. Obviously, I am looking for a water-cooled diesel expert in my area to discuss this with.

Perhaps it is just me being a numpty and not driving it properly as not used to such an old heavy vehicle? I hope that this is not the case as I cannot afford replacement clutches all the time. I would appreciate any thoughts as am not brilliant with cars.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought the more info the better.

Thanks

jtwhitestar
80-90 Mem No: 7865

Re: Loss of power (with smoke) in 1.6 diesel T25

Post by jtwhitestar »

it may be a long shot but when i first bought my bus home it smoked like hell.
i thought i had been done.
it turn out after a few sleepless nights that the air pipe to the air box had collapsed.
point being could be air flow
jt
whitestar 19 n/a aef diesel

peasant
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by peasant »

Air flow would be my guess too.
White-ish smoke usually signifies unburnt diesel.

The fact that it only happens on inclines would point to something in the line of airflow moving/tilting perhaps and so cutting off the air ?
Also the air ducts from the intake up in the "ear" down to the filter are made from something that resembles re-inforced papier-mache and have a habit of collapsing onto themselves once there is full suction (and snap out of it again when you stop)...check for kinks / weak spots there as well (you get reasonably good access to them when you take off the left rear light cluster)
Ex German army Syncro for sale

"WEAZLECHIN"
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

swap the engine for a 1.9d out of a golf etc. . .who thought it was a good idea to put a 1.6 engine into a 2tonne vehicle anyway~?
buffoons

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

My money is on timing or an injector, have you tried pulling out the cold start lever? I had an injector gone on mine and it was fine on the flat but would not do slight inclines and the white smoke is unburned fuel I think. I know the 1.6 is under powered but I have had mine for 8 years now and have managed.
1y Tin top rust collector.

SamD

Post by SamD »

Thanks for the advice guys.

The air flow (knock on effects on fuel combustion) comments are really helpful. Had a look behind the left rear light cluster but could not see any 'papier-mache' material only flexible 'concertina style' black plastic (not very technical me), which has some tape around it. The manual also points to these things amongst others - including the throttle - being the problem.

I also noticed yesterday and today that once the engine is turned off something drips off of one of the hoses leaving the engine about 30cm in from the rear off-side wheel for a minute or so - is this relevant?

Thanks again.