My 84 rusty project

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
[b]This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

My 84 rusty project

Postby boatbuilder » 01 Aug 2010, 11:27

Hi,

I'm on holidays for the month of August so I need to start tackling the rust on my T25.
It started life as a panel van and was converted to a Leisuredrive poptop camper.
My plan is to turn it back into a tintop and put in a multivan style interior.

Here she is as i bought her...

Off with the roof...

Bought some panels...two tall panels, also have two lower rear corners and sliding door side outer sill.

Started cutting last night on the right hand side rear arch......

Gonna be tricky replacing the tall arch panel with the side panel still in place. The "seam flange" of the side panel has rust holes too, so haven't a clue what to do with that really...
Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 00:14, edited 3 times in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: My 84 rusty project

Postby dugcati » 01 Aug 2010, 12:25

Have a good rummage around the forum - myself and several others have well documented the repair/s your talking about....

Glad to see you got the bus in the garage in the end :ok
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!
dugcati

80-90 Mem No: 3825

Postby boatbuilder » 01 Aug 2010, 14:22

Thanks...yes I've seen some other threads about repairing this area.... gives me a good headstart.

I've noticed that everyone seems to do things slightly differently. For example, when fitting the new arch, some people weld a strip of metal onto the new panel before fitting, and others do it after fitting (I mean the metal strip that attaches the new panel at the swage line).

I haven't seen any photos or info about what to do with crusty edges of the middle panel. Its only the "seam flange" thats rusty, but I'm unsure as to how to go about patching it.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby boatbuilder » 09 Aug 2010, 21:29

Eventually got a chance to do some work on the van today. I'd appreciate some feedback or comments, thanks!

Cut off the right rear bottom corner to reveal this...

Cut a larger hole to investigate what was going on behind a rusty hole in front of the right rear wheel arch.....
Theres a big bubble of rust (must be 7 or 8mm thick)

Battered it with a chisel to chip off the scale and hit it with the sandblaster to see whats what...

Also sandblasted a few more bits...I'm concentrating on the right side of the van first...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby dugcati » 09 Aug 2010, 21:42

good start :ok don't go digging into everything as it will only depress you! I found that "just keep chipping away at it" was far better as once you finish one section the next is unknown territory - finding all the dinks and scrapes before you start makes the whole job seem worse/longer/bigger etc!
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!
dugcati

80-90 Mem No: 3825

Postby boatbuilder » 11 Aug 2010, 22:34

Well, did some more today...too tired to upload photos at the moment so will do it tomorrow.
Still attacking the right hand side of the van. mostly the rear.

A bit frustrated by the slow rate of progress... hopefully I will speed up as I go along and get used to doing this stuff.
The rear valance is causing me some hassles. I sandblasted the right side of it which resulted in some rust holes. I didn't buy a valance repair panel, so wasn't planning to replace it....so I just drilled out a few of the spotwelds so I could bend the valance out a bit. Then using the sandblaster I cleaned it down, removing the rust between the valance and the supporting "top hat on its side" section. Its pretty pitted and there are some holes..... which I attempted to weld up with the mig on the lowest setting....which resulted in blowing larger holes because the metal was so thin. So I have to sort that out tomorrow somehow. I'll probably weld the holes as well as possible and redo the spot welds, and vactan the heck out of it. Can't help thinking the rear valance is a stupid design that must catch water and dirt from the rear wheels.

Also cut and sandblasted the rot from the "box" behind the rear arch. I patched the two holes in the side panel as well. One was originally a fridge vent and the other was a gas exhaust I think. Anyhow, they're patched now. I used the joggler to make patches and after spraying with weld through primer, then spot welded them in place. Had a bit of trouble getting the welds to penetrate the outer skin. Had to take one patch off and redo it because when I tried to weld it without clamping it (ok, so it sounds stupid now but I'm learning as I go along), the patch got pushed away from the side panel by the heat. Wasn't sure at the time whether it was because of the lack of clamps, or because it wouldn't penetrate the weld through primer. I removed all the primer anyway and redid it using clamps and it worked better.
Urgently need to get some decent clamps. I think I'll have to use self tapper screws or small bolts to pull things together for welding in future.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby Plasticman » 11 Aug 2010, 23:25

Id cut the carp out from around the osr jacking point not worth keeping whats left, youve cut a rectangular hole, it was as you know good guage of metal, get rid of it to about the fold just above the cut you made , with this out the way you can assess the lower part that the outer mounting welds up to, get this right then work the outer face back in then the wheel arch side curving up,
rear box behind wheel just chop the rubbish out and make a side piece and then box bottom.
As for fitting the rear wing, well i reckoned that if I had made the inner arch correctly then the wing would fit within 1/8 inch of it, yes you could weld a fillet piece in after the wing is fitted but easier to weld it to the wing when its off, if your doing both sides then do one of each and decide :rofl :rofl
read what I said about prestressing the wing before fitting as they are thin metal, you need to encourage a tendancy to bow out .
side panal is never easy, with the wing off you will note that the outer skin of the side panal is quite proud 1/2 inch plus from the pillar, you can drill the spot welds out from inside, part way will do, fashion up a razor sharp thin bolster chisel and cut this at a 45'angle, 1mm disc on angle grinder with care also, with your new wing you will need to remove the 90' fold at the top and bottom where it would weld to the pillar, this will also help you to slip its edge in next to the side panal,
It also happens to have a longer flange so you can weld this to the pillar first then weld the sidepanel either puddle through spot weld holes or however you wish,

please only tack the rearwing, the fold is not that accurate and will need to stand out at the bottom and then you can get good allignment with the side panal.
but your doing ok
mike
Plasticman
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1948

Postby boatbuilder » 12 Aug 2010, 11:59

Cleaned out with the sandblaster to leave this...

Cut out the side section as it was very thin...

Made a fiddly little patch from 2mm steel...

Welded up... filled the little hole in the corner with tigerseal.

Vactaned it all inside and then welded a patch again from 2mm steel on the outside...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby boatbuilder » 12 Aug 2010, 12:45

Welded a patch in the side panel, then vactaned....

Same again with another patch.... decided to do away with the weld through primer. Just brushed it all with vactan afterwards..I think it penetrates into the lapped joint pretty well.

Rear corner rust cut out and blasted...

Rear valance giving me some grief....separated it from the support bar to blast in between.
Cut out a section and have to make a patch to fit.

Removed the remnants of the old arch from the middle panel and blasted it clean

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby Bert2 » 12 Aug 2010, 17:12

Keep it up you are doing well, my van was a little worse than yours and its taken almost 2 years to finish as I had to work outside and it gets cold in the winter! looks like most of the rust is in the normal places, how is your gutter looking and around the windscreen as this is one area that will cause the most problems when you think you have finished all the work if you do not check them now :ok
Bert2

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby boatbuilder » 12 Aug 2010, 18:31

Gutters are perfect. The four foot hole in the roof will need patching though! :D I'm hopeful about the windscreens because the rubbers look good and theres no evidence of rust.

Just got back from shopping....got a set of 3 welding clamps from Halfords, some dinitrol brushable seam sealer and a roll of 0.6 mig wire.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Postby Bert2 » 12 Aug 2010, 20:26

Have a good look under the drivers and passengers foot well carpet or covering for signs of water staining, My seal looked good with no noticeable corrosion but during the winter started to leak and when I changed the seal found some bad corrosion / holes where the seal seats and it is a very common problem just look a previous topics to see how many they are, best be sure now when everything is out. :ok
Bert2

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby Plasticman » 12 Aug 2010, 21:00

Doing fine there, good for you using propper guage steel,following the original form is easier in the end and makes for a better job,
good old ireland where sand blasters are still about and regs are out the window, cant wait to move there
mike
Plasticman
Trader

Postby Plasticman » 13 Aug 2010, 22:14

The pickies of the cut open sand blasted chassis mount could do with sticking in the wiki as its very clear.
mike
Plasticman
Trader

Postby boatbuilder » 21 Aug 2010, 21:12

Well, progress is slow because I can't seem to get time these days. Just spent the day changing a wheel bearing on my wife's Peugeout 306 for example!

Anyhow, got the rear valance patched up and vactaned, trial fitted the lower rear corner and arch. Then I welded the lower corner in place. Then I got sidetracked and haven't had a chance to do any more. Gotta watch that rust though, it comes back overnight if you leave any fresh exposed metal.

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project
boatbuilder

Next

Return to Restoration and Major Repairs