Body (or lack of it)

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Body (or lack of it)

Post by Plasticman »

Not wanting to bang on about waxoyle, no doubt other that do eaxactly the same but I have over the years delvedinto many historic vehicles and where wax O has been used it has helped, .on my van the rear pilars/jackpoints were shiny metal and still covered in it, what was causing problems was the inability of the water in there to get out, I doubt I can cure this but if I can slow the deterioration then I will be happy-ish
mike

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

funny enough..i was just telling a mate about a few secs ago...i did my sills under the jacking points at the front over the weekend and the metal inside the sill and what makes up the pillars was like new and covered in wax oil,it was just the lower part of the sill that had the dreaded worm....its a bugger when its on fire though and dribbling out between the seams :evil:
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ah but worse when your under it and it drop/drips on you
M :ok

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

metalmick8y wrote:Ah but worse when your under it and it drop/drips on you
M :ok
:oops: i stupidly blew the fire out and got a face full :oops: (it wasnt nice :cry: )
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

do that for sport and you can have a bit part with rammstein :mrgreen:
mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Had a few choices with the osf arch, I had cut the bottom off to get access to the pillar, the rest was pretty good and knowing how thin the metal is on pattern ones I went with welding the bottom back on and doing a small repair to the filler hole, ,it should all grind off ok.
The step was as expected, er thin, will fabricate this out of good heavy plate in the morning

then its either ginding and leading or a few jobs under to finnish/check, quite like the idea of finnishing off the silly little jobs while its up in the air
mike

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

That bottom section of the b pillar is a common rot point on these vans a place for future buyers to watch as the vans get older!

Keep the pics and reports coming this is a great thread :ok
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Cheers, it was good reading yours, somehow nicer when your not doing the work, watching others and acting smug like your own is in good order,
Right back to reality,, made a new 1 piece step from a goodly thickness of steel, the outer visible fold was in solid order so I kept this,
Image I have drilled the holes back in to refit the step rubber, its not the nicest looking weld Ive ever done but it will dress up and do.
I want to fit mudflaps to the rear but am loathe to spend the daft sums suppliers ask for them so have welded a plate as shown
This is a good guage of steel and I intend to hang a wide flap cut from 6mm conveyor belting and will maybe affix a VW logo to that,
It will then keep all the carp of the rear boxes and back panal etc.
Been at it with the paint stripper as I am baremetaling it as Im not painting over other folks filler/bodge or whatever, these covers are of the viking I broke and are rust free so will use them,
So tommorow its stripping and whilst its working I shall be under tightening and checking and such.
Mike

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well a good day had, managed to get some propper industrial stripper, so all w'shop doors open and a stipping we will go,did the back panal first
all thats left is the vw primer which I will da off when I get it over to my bodyshop, fridge panal here
1 heavy coat and the lot is off in one go, is it worth doing? well I think so, Ive never liked painting over feathered edges, plus I want to know whats underneath, time wise I can strip it in a day and will save loads of time with the da plus it will be a better job .
Interestingly it looks like I have met the work of a very good welder/bodyman, the slider would appear to have been a factory glazed one but had suffered from some rot, so the works aperature has been cut out and a piece added to each side and the bus windos fitted, its seriously neat welding, will take some picks tommorow to show what I mean.
Other than that I only have this advice to give .

The 3 golden rules of paint stripping.
wash hands before no 1's
wash hands before no 1's
wash hands before no 1's
Mike :oops:

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

or it might end up like this
http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/gr ... _small.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not for the young or faint hearted
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

X my legs every time Ive seen that
M