Not a restoration.

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Not a restoration.

Post by itchyfeet »

Excellent work bbb
remember you have to bed the rings in so don't leave it idling, and no stready cruising on the road.

that clutch bearing has caught me out more than once.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Aye, with any luck I'll pop the g.box back tonight and sort that bearing, I have a spare if I need it.
Does anyone happen to know if the box will come back far enough without taking the shafts off?
Then sort the slight coolant weep from the stainless pipe behind the pulleys, it's the flange on the water pump that seems to be seeping from round the lower bolt stem. I had to take the water pump pulley off to get an allen key in there and nip it up but it's still weeping. might need some sealant, dirko ht or dirko S?
Then sort the fact that my water temp gauge is pegged to the right, probably a dirty rotten wire on the sender.
THEN I can take it for a spin and get it warmed up and revved up and down.
Then fit my oil pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on any sudden pressure loss that hopefully won't happen.
If all goes well we'll take it to Glenbrittle on Sunday, where we were heading when she packed up on me.
The road there is pretty variable/hilly/twisty so I won't be sitting at the same revs for too long.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I don't think you can get the box far enough forward to get your hand in and see what you are doing. TBH I wouldn't want to either, too much potential for pain if the box moves when your hand is in there.

Clean all the accumulated muck out of the bolt heads and tap the bit in with a hammer to have the best chance of removing all the bolts without rounding.

I'll let others comment on the sealant choice
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Cheers.
Shafts off it is then. :ok
They've been off recently when I changed the box so the bolts shouldn't put up a fight, and I have a bag of spares that wagonbuild threw in with the box. :ok
I'll get the winch out again-

Split case club member.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

either dirko is fine but hard to get that dry coolant just keeps coming out of pump
had same problem when I fitted my stainless pipe recently

yep drive shafts off and you need to angle the engine an box down to get it off
angle until thermostat housing hits bulkhead
metal pipe hits tin so tin needs removing that side.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Yeah, good point about getting it dry, hmmm...

I have no tinware so that's not a problem. :lol:
Split case club member.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Small sized rag stuffed in the hole, below the flange line, brake cleaner to clean / dry the flange :?:

or, maybe drain some coolant off so that it's below the flange line

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Well that was easy. I took the clutch cylinder off and the clutch lever sprang back up. Just a sticky cylinder. Nothing a bit of lube and some too and fro action sorted that.
That explains why it stuck even though I'd tied up the lever.
While I was under there I noticed the water temp wiring trapped between the exhaust and the thermostat. That explains that too.
Just the coolant seep to sort now. :ok
Last edited by bigbadbob76 on 29 Jun 2018, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Split case club member.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Excellent....... another variation idea for the flange, can you jack the left rear up high so that the flange is the high point of the cooling system ?

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

That might just work. Good plan.

I thought i'd go for a quick spin a couple of miles down the road and back so drove it off the ramps and heard a plastic crack.... i'd forgotten the front grill was off and lying on the ground. Arrrggghhh!!!!!

Anyway, took it for a spin and all feels and sounds good, tappety rattle went away within a mile and it pulls nice and smooth.
I'll do a longer run tomorrow.
The coolant seep has stopped but that's either things expanding as it warms up or the coolant evaporating before it forms a drip.

Note to self. Don't leave the engine hatch open at night. Little furry buggers get in.

I'm not a cat person!!!!! (Sorry Paul).
Split case club member.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Have lynx been reintroduced to Skye already ? Looks a big moggie :lol:

Shame about the grille. We've all done daft stuff. You could always get another one, but your not doing a restoration are you.

Hope the test drive goes well tomorrow, lots of engine load variety and range, smile on your face when you get back home, and then that delayed trip to Glenbrittle.

You've worked hard and done well to get her back together again so quickly.

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Cheers mate. It's been a long shift, most nights and weekends for 5 weeks. Worth it to know it's done though. Happy days.

I fitted my oil pressure gauge tonight, the midgies came out just as I was doing the fiddly solder splices under the dash. I used the yellow pressure switch wire as i've not got the switch. I also cut the green wire near the dash plug so the buzzer won't go off and I can use it for a tacho at some point.

Cold idle.

I might fit an oil temp gauge to mirror it on the left of the steering column where the volt meter is at the mo.
Split case club member.

bigbadbob76

Not a restoration.

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Took the van for another spin today,

got it warmed up and bled. Oil pressure dropped to 1/2 bar at hot idle which seemed a bit low so I changed out the cheap oil for proper stuff and treated it to another new filter. went for another spin to heat it up. Not much better tbh.

But one and a bit bar at 2krpm HOT is probably in spec. Better than before the rebuild anyway.

There's a couple of coolant weeps and an oil weep from (i think) the oil pump cover plate.
My coolant temp sensor seems to have died so I will have to drain some coolant to replace it. Good time to seal the weeps.

The big question is.... we're going to Yorkshire in two weeks time. Do We trust the bus?
Split case club member.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Good to see you out on the road again. :)

I think the guide for pressures is 2 bar at 2k at 80 degrees, itchy has done loads of measurements on this, which of course is dependent on temperature and the grade of oil being used. What exactly are you using ?

The DOPS system operates if pressure is lower than 0.8-1.0 bar at 1800 rpm so you are well above that.

The best way to get confidence will of course be to use her. It'll be a fair drive down to Yorkshire, though as it's a big county it does depend on where exactly you are going. I think it took about 5 hours driving for us to get home from Inverness last year, so probably something like that for you, maybe even longer as the roads on the West are generally slower, at least until you get to the M74 or M90 depending on your route South. Great opportunity to run her in properly, I think we did well over 800 miles on our trip to the Highlands. Not many midges down here

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

At least the moggy didn't leave any "presents". :lol:
Yeah, minimum of 2 bar@2k@80*C but without a thermocouple down the dipstick tube, I'm guessing. :lol:
We're heading for Huddersfield and Hebdon bridge so will be in BW territory if owt 'appens.
I allow 8 hours in the car but would take it easy and stop over somewhere on the way down if we take the bus.
My days of doing Skye to Plymouth in a oner are over. :lol:
I had a gearbox fail in the Ranger on the M6 going over Shap one night in the pouring rain at 8 pm while trying to get to Huddersfield, that was the first time ever I called the RAC but I was glad I'd paid my dues that night. :D
Split case club member.