My T25 restoration

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
[b]This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Re: My T25 restoration

Postby mshaw1980 » 26 Apr 2018, 09:04

AndreasDahl wrote:Wow! awesome work!

This bus will live on :D :D

Thanks pal...and welcome :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)
mshaw1980

80-90 Mem No: 14800

Postby mshaw1980 » 02 May 2018, 12:06

So the front before some rustoleum. As mentioned in a previous post I will replace the front panel under the grill next year. Just want to get the thing through the manx MOT so we can use it this summer:
ImageGetting closer now by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

Then the first full coat of rustoleum on 'most' of the van. A bit orange peely but will be flatted back before the second coat. Looks pretty good. What do you reckon??

I said 'most' of the van just above. Having to deal with this bit now:

Need to replace part of the tailgate seal channel and patch where the expansion tank flap goes and then I can rustoleum away :-)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)
mshaw1980

Postby mshaw1980 » 08 May 2018, 12:10

Was getting sick of bodywork so before I do the rear valance and tailgate seal channel I decided to do some interior work. So first a fusebox for the leisure battery (Still need to feed the power cable from under the passenger seat battery box to the fusebox but will do that later this week..
ImageWe shall have light....and a comfortable interior, well, the start of :-) by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Wiring fed from the fusebox along the roof where the interior lighting wires run and then into this ready for LEDS. You will note that there are two wires coming out of the new fusebox. This is because I want the four lights to be on two switches so my good lady can turn her light out and I can leave mine on and read.
ImageWe shall have light....and a comfortable interior, well, the start of :-) by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Wiring for the switches was fed down to behind the rear quarters...
And then the exciting part, screwing the newly carpeted panel to the wooden framework after connecting up the LEDS.
You can probably see small gaps between the panel and the rool rail on the passenger and driver side. I will carpet some wooden batten and then use this like a gap concealer so should still look quite neat.

Cant wait to get sticking with the carpet on the walls and ceiling now along with making the new interior panels out of thin plywood. Its very satisfying putting on newly carpeted panels, covering all the cold steel and making it more homely :-)
mshaw1980

Postby mshaw1980 » 12 Jul 2018, 11:44

So got round to doing some sound deadening / insulation...

ImageBefore and after sound deadening and insulation for the floor by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

ImageBefore and after sound deadening and insulation for the floor by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

As well as trial fitting the petrol heater in situ before I bolt in the full width rock n roll bed
mshaw1980

Postby mshaw1980 » 12 Jul 2018, 11:49

Got excited then started fitting the windows with the new seals from Schofields. Also had the tool but as I had not done one before it took AGES even with my good lady's help. Did the other a few days later and it took less than half an hour. Quite a satisfying job ...

The kids gave me their seal of approval...

But then I realised I was missing something, doh...

ImageIn my eagerness had forgotten to weld on the sliding rail cover retaining bracket by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
mshaw1980

Postby Smcknighty » 12 Jul 2018, 19:20

Ha! Always something :) the rustoleum looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smcknighty

80-90 Mem No: 14436

Postby Smcknighty » 12 Jul 2018, 19:23

Was the interior white before or did you rustoleum it as well?

Smcknighty

80-90 Mem No: 14436

Postby mshaw1980 » 12 Jul 2018, 23:07

Smcknighty wrote:Was the interior white before or did you rustoleum it as well?

Interior was white but will mostly be covered by thin ply panels I made covered in megavanmats stretchy carpet.

The rustoleum is great but I made a mistake on the front. Painting it with the garage door open with the sun beati g down on it and it went very orange peely. Bit of sanding back to do.
mshaw1980

Postby mshaw1980 » 03 Aug 2018, 22:24

Ant-t wrote:Nice roof, makes me think about my bus mmmm :wink:

Just realised I had accidentally deleted the part about the pop top roof I got from space roofs. Looks really well. Will get a picture up top added tomorrow.

Wasn't too hard to fit but a bit nerve racking cutting a hole in the roof. Although this is nothing compared to the bodywork I did after fitting this roof. Word of advice if fitting your own, don't do as space roofs suggested fitting rivnuts with spanners. Get a rivnut tool. Quicker and much easier.

mshaw1980

Previous

Return to Restoration and Major Repairs