Fridge Panel Repair

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Re: Fridge Panel Repair

Post by bluebus1987 »

One day someone will get around to making a decent panel that goes with the original arch and make everybodies lives a lot easier. I always seems daft replaceing that great big slab of VW just for maybe an inch at the bottom.

jhobson
80-90 Mem No: 7840

Post by jhobson »

The panel above the arch is very flimsy but I'll pretend I now have a T25 lightweight. Every 1KG saved is a tenth of a second off lands end to john o'groats.

I though I could leave the cab steps until next year but the drivers side seems to have disintegrated in just a couple of months so I fixed with a cheap brickwerks panel, some offcuts of van, and seam sealer everywhere. Solid but not pretty.
IMG_8051.JPG
IMG_8051.JPG (122.8 KiB) Viewed 28821 times

Winter is coming! So a quick roller with rustoleum. My van used to be one of the arctic whites but the bloke who sprayed over the rust last time did not use the right white so I don't have to stick to VW. I'm using the std white so it is easy to get paint in the future.
IMG_8052.JPG
IMG_8052.JPG (122.76 KiB) Viewed 28821 times

The download suggests to practice but I thought I'd practice on the van. The first 5 mins of the roller looks like it was going to be a disaster - uncontrollable air bubbles. I switched to a dry roller and that calmed everything down. I continued like that - wet roller to get paint on then dry roller to smooth the finish. I think there may be a useful technique... but only if you didn't get the roller/paint right in the first place. One tray did this side and the rear panel on the other side.

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

I got things back together enough to take the van on a trip to Homebase to pick up a 'sold as seen' BBQ bargain. On they way there my spirits were high - without all the camper internals the van felt really sprightly.

Depression soon set in. For the return trip, the van would turn over but not start. I disconnected the recently repaired glow plug sensor (so that the glow plugs would come on even though engine was warm) and that sorted it. Some happiness restored.
Then the drivers wiper stopped working. I had a terrible feeling it was the pivot which means taking the dash out again. Wish I had replaced both when I had the opportunity.
Then, driving up hill I get clouds of smoke. I was confident I had fixed this by letting some oil out but it has returned. Thick white smoke and people flashing me. All the way up the hill I convinced myself the turbo bearing had finally gone and I'd need a recon turbo. However, back on the flat the van cleared up and purred along.
Back at home, I discovered the wiper just needed tightening. Some faith coming back...
Then I tried to start (to check smoke out back) but nothing. Now I'm facing the horror of taking out the starter motor in the position I parked the van (on grass). After some fumbling, I find the ignition lead dangling about with bare wire at end. No spade connector on it, or the starter. Bodged a new (crappy) connector back on and she starts first crank. Elated not to have to try and get to the starter!

That experience is pretty much standard for me and this van. Something always breaks :( This time everything got resolved pretty quick but my confidence is dented. I do have a new bargain BBQ though, just in time for winter!

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

I've started another camper project. Not sure I'm going to finish either of them.
camper.jpg
camper.jpg (123.51 KiB) Viewed 28696 times

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

MOT success today... failed dues to a rusty wheel bearing but all sorted now. Next I start on repairing the rear windows and tailgate.

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

I left the van under cover over winter but back on it now.

I took out the rear windows and things were not bad so a little patching and slop on rustoleum
rhrearwindow.jpg
rhrearwindow.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 28395 times

Tailgate was another story.
the bottom of the window was in a poor state so had to patch up both corners. Filler makes it look OK.
tailgate window.jpg
tailgate window.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 28395 times

And therefore the bottom of the tailgate was almost gone so replaced the whole of the inside bottom and patched a few holes on the outside. Filler again :)
tailgate bottom.jpg
tailgate bottom.jpg (39.7 KiB) Viewed 28395 times

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

I am most happy with this - despite it looking a mess. No filler yet!
This is the U channel that holds the tailgate rubber seal. I made a new section from left-over body panels. Making a reasonable neat U was a bit of a challenge, but getting it to bend round the corner was tricky. Seam-welded along the top - rock solid.

I think that is all the tricky welding done on the van for now. Put it all back together and paint it... that could take a while.
rear door rubber gutter.jpg
rear door rubber gutter.jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 28396 times

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

Well, there were a few final bits of welding: RHS B post, inner arch, and lower wing, rhs front battery box, and panel behind the diesel header tank.
That is now every bit of rust I know of. Even the little patches that at first I thought I would just filler over.
It really is now just put it all back, and paint. Probably not gonna get that done this year.

A new problem I found: if I leave it idling for a little then rev I get a good puff of white smoke. My guess is leaky turbo oil seal... but that is an expensive guess.

craigy345
80-90 Mem No: 13029

Post by craigy345 »

jhobson wrote:Well, there were a few final bits of welding: RHS B post, inner arch, and lower wing, rhs front battery box, and panel behind the diesel header tank.
That is now every bit of rust I know of. Even the little patches that at first I thought I would just filler over.
It really is now just put it all back, and paint. Probably not gonna get that done this year.

A new problem I found: if I leave it idling for a little then rev I get a good puff of white smoke. My guess is leaky turbo oil seal... but that is an expensive guess.

Light at the end of the tunnel !!!!?

Really interesting thread :ok

Your puff of white smoke is probably normal, they all do that :roll:

I had the same issue but was losing a significant amount of oil (no oil leak!!!)
Turns out to be the turbo shot, seals/bearing knackered and burning oil! - new turbo required £££££!

So when she is running again - you will probably get the white smoke on start up this should soon stop!!!
Then... Monitor the oil closely - if you have the same symptoms as mine could be your turbo (mine was too far gone to save so just replaced the whole unit)

Good Luck.... Keep going!! :ok
VW T25 1.6TD (JX) 1987 Westfalia Club Joker

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

It has taken three days of re-installing the interior to get as far as fitting the back seat. Just the fridge/cooker unit to go

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

All back together - delayed by broken charger, broken water level indicator, broken thermo thing on cooker, a leaky seal around fuel tank sender, trying to fit Alpha seats that don't really want to fit ... plus others.

So I thought I would take it for a short installation lap to the co-op and back. Got as far as the gate... couldn't stop! Catastrophic fail of one end of the clutch hydraulic. Now it's blocking the drive.

I bet it is at the engine-end which is just too much for me to think about. Right now I feel like it has got me beat. I think I'm going to give in and get a pro to fix it this time... just need to get it to a garage somehow :(

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Gutted for you! I was re-reading this thread as I saw you had an update, got to the last post and was about to post a congratulatory "Woop Woop" - then got to the end of your post!

I feel your pain! You're probably right in that it is the engine end of the clutch pipe. Mine went while on holiday - I had no flexy hose on the end, just a curl of pipe to absorb the vibration with predictable results. And, yes, despite doing a lot of my own mechanical work I got it fixed by a garage - quick and dirty while on holiday and then more properly with a flexy when I got home.

No shame in getting someone to do it for you, you've still done a great job on your van!

Bravo!!
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

Thanks for the encouragement!
Last job was fuel tank out, so maybe I just broke the clutch pipe somehow. It still would be a big job as I don't have a working bleed nipple at engine end.

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

I was completely demoralized and daunted by the thought of tackling the slave cylinder but once I started to look at how to replace it, it didn't seem so bad. The hardest task was getting the van back onto the bit of hard-standing. Even with the whole family pushing we didn't get very far on grass so I resorted to winching with a cheap machinemart cable winch - I have used that a lot! I had to install a ground anchor to winch up the final slope but, for £14 from ToolStation, it wasn't expensive and made the job easy. Now I have something to chain my ladders to... when I get some ladders and a chain.
The failure was corroded metal clutch-pipe where it comes through the rear cross member and joins onto the flexible pipe (which goes to the slave). Someone had tie-wrapped the brake pipe to it and I think it just wore though. The rest of the pipe is in good condition so I only replaced 5 inches leaving me with a lot of spare copper as I bought enough to replace the whole line. The two bolts holding on the slave cylinder were tricky to undo as you need to get a spanner on the nut and the bolt. I needed a second pair of hands for this and it is best to do it from top and underneath at same time... but the bolts came undone with a bit of care and persuasion - thank goodness as I wouldn't have liked to try cutting them off. New slave then just pops on easy - with new stainless bolts so it should come off easy.

Now I just have to work out how to bleed the clutch. It took me days to bleed the front calipers when I renewed them.

Then... maybe I'll make it to the coop and back before the next thing breaks.

jhobson

Post by jhobson »

Just found Thomas EXOVCDS channel on You Tube with a few T25 features. Makes things look easy.