Sills both sides starts Monday 11th

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Sills both sides starts Monday 11th

Post by kevtherev »

I never tire of looking at this work you do Mike. :ok
When the area of work is laid bare and visible, it is truly a shock to us the great unwashed.
I think apart from yours Mike, this is the only other van that made me blanch, suck in air and pull a face. :D

Safe hands Mr Hulley, it sure is comforting seeing it all come together, after the initial horrific pictures.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Is this one finished now then?
No updates for ages..... :rofl
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Well things were a bit out of my control..........
anyhows
nsr corner area was
there was nothiong left to use as a guide so mainly done from memory as i couldnt face searching the last one i did,so
this area is seen and also the seal fits here and the wing meets it ,all in all the most difficult to get right, its also seen so got to be presentable,
start from a known correct fixed point and in this case we have to then work backwards to the rear of the C post
then we measure the depth of the seal recess
so we can remake the closure part with the tiny lip (this is how vw made it)
you will note all these part have aslight curve to ythem just to make life interesting
here in place and remarked with spot hole drilled and csk
now we have the depth sorted and the width together with curvature we can add the next part
got my new specs so able to make a neat weld down the inside to give correct radius with no grinding (2.5-3mm weld width :D )
loosing track of which bit came next but think its
more trial fits
and its nearly there
needs a bit of touching up , but curvatures can be seen, if this was a straight item folded it would be so simple
here you can see it sort of slopes to the right and has at wist, this is further complicates stuff but is meant to be as the upright reinforcing plate of the jp/mounting is made at a corresponding angle
sat in place in what would be as built minus the seal restraining strip
strip in place , note it would be welded in place as in previous picky then this added
this sort of shows the slant, also bear in mind the rear wing/arch has to clear it as well, which is another item i will be making so as to incorporate the correct seam to arch join as built
looked like an optical illusion but steel bar says its true with the original upper part
on this side there is a deliberate gap, this is to allow for the thickness of the new rear wing i will be making, then it will be true and flat :wink:
this is ready to weld in tomoz. dont seem like much but it took from lunch till tea to do , speaking of which
smoked bacon quiche with these paprika coated roasties
done
mm :D

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well
C post assembly welded in
this is the area behind the stop buffer at the rear of the track , i like to braze these as if the mig gets a bit rough its hard to get in to clean up
building the lower part of the rear wing, its curved both around the arch plus vertically following the wing and slider.then you have to gap it something like
return edging needs to match OE
as so
there is no seal fitted and so the door is not set , but im happy with it
ready to weld now
after welding these i tapped the lower bit of skin under the fixing plate to neaten it
forgot, seal had trial fit
picks seem a bit jumbled again ,maybe cos i uploaded them twice....
anyways 1st treatments
noticed this which will compound the door shut and alignment issues so will cut the worn area out and add a piece

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

metalmick8y wrote: Image
as so
Could somebody pass me a tissue...
Awesome is the correct word here
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

kevtherev wrote:
metalmick8y wrote: Image
as so
Could somebody pass me a tissue...
Awesome is the correct word here

Steady now .... 'getting excited' over someone else's naked van is poor form :|

Looking good Mike. I've sent you an email :ok

Cheers, Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well, going to chop another small! hole into the rust :lol:
about here ish
ahhh
that feels better already
well you have to make light of things.
first make up a new anchor plate, 2mm i think and 7/16 unf nut, pre heat brazed and now very secure
this is the new piece of inner arch in place with the seat anchor held under it for illustration, , note the hole is larger than the thread, this is to allow for the belt anchor spacer to clear the surrounding metal
when that lot is spotted in , the next part you see is the replacement for the removed bit of the arch itself, you will note that it does not scallop out behind the belt anchor as per vw,
this way is stronger and i have no idea at present why they chose to do the way they did , will have a ponder on that
rear part made, im joining along the spot line of the battery box area and have swaged the whole lot to be flush on the wheel side,
which leaves locating the exp tank , now i know a few others have dispensed with these but they were put there for a reason be that derv or petrol so im staying with them till proven otherwise,
now ,yes i could remake the original stamping to hold the tab, the only reason they did it this way was is that it was an easy thing to press the shape and no further processes were required as in welding etc.to that end im doing it this way
tank in place and mount ring assembly fitted to tank then clamped to side structures and tank removed, we now have the ring in the exact position needed
now its a simple matter of placing the the new arch part in place and marking it, then remove the lot as so and place together to show
note i brazed it so easier to remove guide plate than if it was migged
so nex will weld this together and slightly splay the edge then pop it all together which will be easy enough now its all made, then treat seal and such and we go to the easier other siude for a simple middle lower side and sill

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well started by welding the exp tank ring to the plate then the whole to the van
next the inner sill together with the belt anchor plate affixed under
next the new piece of the arch is clamped in place,
but prior to doing the spots it has to be tacked to the main arch to hold it in correct position ,once this is done then we clamp the arch and inner arch together and do the spots, this will in turn help hold the arch part from warping too much as the weld is run along
like so
a quick wipe over with a flap disc and its good enough
ive run some braze round the two skins here to further reinforce it and it will also prevent/slow future corrosion here
dummy bolt in hole.,this shows clearance for spacer to bottom out to allow belt bracket to clear carpet etc, also use a dummy bolt to stop the risk of mig choddies etc fouling the hole threads
now you know how one thing leads to another ,well just couldnt leave this lot alone so
you can just see the remnant on the floor. anyhows it was an odd one to make as its also curved in two planes but its not the first ive done nor will it be the last,
but
soon good enough
forgot there was the seal retainer at the front, so cut a bit of good stuff out the way to gain access, made the small lip again its also curved both ways so by hand as opposed to the vice..its welded at the back as pointed by the welding rod and also down the inside root
it all needs a clean up with a disc and squaring to be neat
hear you note the 2 brazed plugs, this is the part i removed and added a bit to, had to take it off as i couldnt have made and fitted the lip with it in the way,
braze rod points to the item im on about, its seen so another reason to get it right, then new outer B post skin cut back to fit,the screwdriver is just to add some twist to it before tacking . this will help prevent warping
which seems to have worked :D
and the repaired arch bottom is good enough to fit so all is happy with it
ref my modifying the arch top round the belt anchor, well i havd a look at this today and the reason vw did it is that due to the shape of the pressing and the metalk avaiable i think it would have been difficult to press correctly without creasing like some of the klocker c**p
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well ns done bar the sealants etc
cut this off, i could have buuilt it up with a small bead of weld, which i n ormally do if its just the end bit but here it was easier to chop it out
new bit added, just needs a straight edge and making flush again
B post outer, seam welded in the corner out of the way
next the repaired arch bottom
whilst its weled to the B post inside i also like to braze the lower inch or so as these do have a habit of flapping a bit....
slider back on to check
main part of inner sills first coated here from rear to front
im reasonably happy with the look of the joins etc
they will get some seam sealant as well
just general pickies of stuff first coated
i will seal the seams later
:D
mm

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

There is some serious craftsmanship in these threads.
I can't imagine the experience and skill required to produce some of the work seen over these restorations.

If I were a King....
I would make a national tradition out of it - whether people like T25's or not - Sunday evening after a roast dinner would be VW restoration hour on the BBC..!!
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Thanks
Well this failed the "pull test" :lol:
so no point messing with it
to be expected
but not as bad really as some
but this !
is another matter
now i think ive decided on the way im going to sort this, it is dependant on not finding it any worse here than ive seen so far,
the way its built is we have the main transverse crossmember in i think 3mm steel, next the rear cargo floor spots to this on the inside (cab side) and then the main cab floor is spotted to the whole. see
here ive removed a bit of the floor (the last item to be spotted)
next was the vertical part of the rear bulkhead floor, leaving the x member, hopefully i can expose this along the whole length and clean up to retain
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well as usual the more you dig the more you find,
sort of a bit crusty in here and a pig to get at later when all closed up so
thats cured that
always nice to get back to clean steel
first bit added, and as there is no slider track in the way i can weld to the front of outrigger from the inside, (saves marking up to drill as well)this is further supported as will be seen, but it forms the base from which the rest attaches
belt anchor nut, also pre heat brazed first then a bead run around it so its there for keeps
rear of seat box
top done same as other side
as a whole
just the exp tank mount to add and then a simple weld up, the work here is in the parts
B post inner, this again in 16g its shaped differently babove and below the closure plate, above and it is convex,
these are a bit tricky to make but will show it step by step
this shows how it interacts with the inner sill (that ive just added) it will all become clear ,,i hope, i have yet to scallop it out to weld to the vertical reinforcing strip i will remake
this is just to point to the gap as OE and just filled with sealant

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well got the bones of the B post sorted
started by adding a repair to the outrigger as this gives the parameters for the B post lips etc and also ties in the new addition to the inner sill
you can just make out the 3 burns from the welds, i always try to get these repairs in line with the original and the fold should taper seamlessly , if for no other reason than neatness :D
main part of inner B post now made and welded, i have puddled it through to the inner sill and also the tab on the outrigger repair so this is now fixed for good,
I have to make a new inner support brace like so
without these the assembly would not carry the weight of the van ,at least not for long... as almost all the loading is carried verticaly if that makes sense,
lower inner B now made up, the folds and such are in the same place as OE, so should be good when the floor closures are added
you can also see the weld at the join of the inner sill to outrigger repair and i have added a couple of long tacks to the base of B post inner/innersill for good measure
here spotted the repair to the inner wing complete with belt anchorage, the area pointed to is to be gassed, note i have removed an extra bit of the actual front arch , this iwas to give access to this weld
and will be covered by the new addition to the actual arch as shown here
simples :wink:
be nicer after a disc over it as this is in the raw....
as is this
exp tank receptacle welds visible
think that concludes things for today,i have trial fitted the lower B post outer so will sort that tommorow, plus another repair to the bottom of the arch, then a few tweaks to the outer sill and that can go on i think,
need info on a tool so have posted up on general with pickies
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,spotted a little more rot :lol: sort of knew it was there so cut this away
jp and arm mount is good, in fact its very clean in here as is the C post lower, copious amounts of rust proofer scraped of so it did some good
note the spots are very low on the lip , this is why i cut this area of when its iffy and add a new lip as i have done on the other side,
VW contructed in a way that if they had left a decent lip they couldnt have migged it to the arm mount , i will post up a picky of a genuine inner sill to show better what i mean,hence if you feel under your own you will find a solid run of weld and little actual lip to get hold of
whoever fitted the rear arch also did it the bodgy way and also migged it in the seam itself instead of separating the join, any hows i managed to open it up enough
belt anchor now welded up
your very own golden hole.....which leads down into a money pit :lol:
all new metal, you dont have to follow the OE inner B post exactly but make sure it terminates vertically where this does
sill and post lower in rough place to check alignments, note i have repaired the area on post where the 3 brass plugs are
and another reason for doing the lower rear wing , as it fits before the sill
fuel tank vactanned and now undercoated
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,most of it i had fitted ready to weld but needed to finish this bit
they are a fairly simple part but the lower lip is not quite as simple as a fold added
here you can see the twist
anyhows done, it fits and spot holes added
clamped up and all gaps set and swages lined up the migged the bottoms on, i have run a line of braze along the vertical seams as they are a bit on the tight side and this way once a disc has been over them all that will remain is a thin line in the seam and i shall cut a line in this to define the join
front join prior to brazing
brazed
keep an eye on stuff as you go as its very easy to curve these which is then more work to realign
rear
next making these closures up ,i have the swages to add but first make them so they fit. the rearmost part is short as i had some made up to post and doing them in 3 bits was easier to pack
these get added after the outer skin is fitted but its easier to do it this way
outer skin tomoz
mm