T25 Trident 1991

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 Trident 1991

Post by JonathanR »

Hi
Newbie and just purchased this.

One owner from new. Lots of good points but new panels needed offside and seams beginning to show rust.

Whilst I would like to keep it original my children have 1/4 shares and equal say in its future so expect a colour change will happen if they can agree a colour.

So many questions but doing a lot of reading of other restorations. But will be back.

I am lucky in that I have a lot of toys to do the work just lack the skill!

This is my other project which is work in progress but slow which is why the family bought the van. They got fed up waiting.

1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Re: T25 Trident 1991

Post by a1winchester »

It's a very personal choice.
The AS Trident can look good in a plain finish without the stripes, and there are many great examples on this web site.
But for me, I wanted to get my camper back to more or less original. That means extra fiddly work with the stripes, lettering, and logos, but I am very happy with the end result.

Whatever floats your boat! (or camper).
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Snap - your looks very nice and managed to see the other pictures of it - very original - you too have the pink velvet curtains :D. I have the original brochure if you would like a copy.
I agree original is best particularly when the vehicle has been well looked after but i've given my daughters free reign and its meant to be a fun project for them. I'll go with the flow and restore to original colour when I come to sell it, critical for me is to get the rust under control and windows resealed.
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

The interior (including curtains) is the project for the winter months. There's little hope of getting anything like original materials, so I plan to get it as '1990' as I can in similar colours.
Thanks, but I have the brochures. They are in the WIKI, I think, along with other manuals and links.
You are right - rust is the #1 priority. Once it's up together bodywork wise, you can paint it whatever colour(s) you fancy, then change again when you get bored with that.
I saw some pics of a Trident that had been sprayed with an opalescent slightly pink paint - it was like a pearl finish - really nice.
Read up all you can on here about the rubber seals. It's a bit of a minefield.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

a1winchester wrote:The interior (including curtains) is the project for the winter months. There's little hope of getting anything like original materials, so I plan to get it as '1990' as I can in similar colours.
Thanks, but I have the brochures. They are in the WIKI, I think, along with other manuals and links.
You are right - rust is the #1 priority. Once it's up together bodywork wise, you can paint it whatever colour(s) you fancy, then change again when you get bored with that.
I saw some pics of a Trident that had been sprayed with an opalescent slightly pink paint - it was like a pearl finish - really nice.
Read up all you can on here about the rubber seals. It's a bit of a minefield.
Did some cavity spraying in the warm weather. Used waxoyl and an applicator I got for spraying the landy chasis with Dinitrol.

This is my thumper

Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Whatever you do with the colour keep it a VW colour.
Personally if the van is white keep it mainly white, two tone lends itself very well to VW T3's.
I bought my 'sleeper because the interior and equipment was superb, but I hated the 'sleeper livery.
It's my van, not Autosleepers :evil:
So I changed it, from this

from this

A very happy journey :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

Hi Kevin
Just picked up your post - Winter hibernation - looks a very nice paint job, interior and seats. I must admit how to break up the paint so it does not look like a van is causing us some discussion so your example is nice to see.
Currently removing the interior to gain access to the offside panel. Stuck on fridge removal and the Wiki section has lost all its pics. Hey ho
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

that was a nice van you bought , please dont spoil it by fitting a one piece over panel on the fridge side, they look carp and are
mm

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

fridge is held in by four screws
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

metalmick8y wrote:that was a nice van you bought , please dont spoil it by fitting a one piece over panel on the fridge side, they look carp and are
mm
thanks for keeping me on the straight an narrow - (apart from colour where I am in a minority)
Panel waiting to be fitted once I have removed the internals to get to the damage from the inside.
Will post via taptalk as that is what seems to work with pictures.
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

uploadfromtaptalk1456078205765.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456078205765.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 108113 times
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

That panal is what I was afraid of
Fit the lower sill and closures and use that cut up and fold a lip to join the sill,on the phone so can't add a smilie
mm

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

kevtherev wrote:fridge is held in by four screws
Cheers Kevin Have been working off the Wiki article which shows all the screw positions with pictures which is very useful as its the same layout - have loosened fridge but need to work out whether I have enough loose cable and Gas pipe to pull it all the way out or whether I should disconnect the gas pipe. Just a shame the article relating to fridge removal has lost its pics.
I have a propensity to break things I touch which makes me very cautious.
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

metalmick8y wrote:That panal is what I was afraid of
Fit the lower sill and closures and use that cut up and fold a lip to join the sill,on the phone so can't add a smilie
mm
Thanks mm
Oops - is there a better panel. Happy to scrap this one and use it for other repairs. Not sure I fully understand - have you a link to one of your restorations that shows it - I imagined I would plug weld along the bottom having removed the old outer skin and cut new panel to fit at the top. My only concern which I know has been raised in the forum before was that there are no folds on the side for making a neat vertical seam. I am assuming there will be a repair to where the inner floor joins the outer panel. Until I see it from both sides I am talking from a complete lack of understanding of how it all sits.
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

JonathanR

Post by JonathanR »

MM just answered my own question and am reading your post - Sills both sides starts Monday 11th :oops:
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol