3 Syncro Campers having some Mendip fun

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sonic23
80-90 Mem No: 1158

3 Syncro Campers having some Mendip fun

Post by sonic23 »

We had a cracking Saturday afternoon roaming the countryside south of Bristol and into the Mendips.
We met at a cafe in SouthWest Bristol at 11am and then proceeded onto the first lane which was less than a mile away. It was a little tight in places due to summer vegetation, there was a small stream to cross and some loose rubble to negotiate. So all-in-all, a good one to refamiliarise yourself with those destinctively Syncro handling characteristics.

For the second route, we stopped at a fork in the path and Patrick suggested we have a look at the more challenging route from the fork which lead up a hill. We walked this to see what it was like. There was a couple of challenging features (well for me!) to negotiate and a tight narrow and rocky section just below the summit of the hill. We all decided to give it a go. I was the first up and had to have two attempts to get up the last section, the second attempt using both diff locks. The poor van certainly got a good workout due to the strong smell of clutch at the top.....( i really need more practise at this sort of thing :wink: )

Patrick was second up and managed it all in one go....

Mark and Charlie were last up and Mark confirmed his suspician that his Difflocks weren't working, though did admirably well to almost get to the summit without them.

After a couple of attempts to move forward, Mark quickly decided to use the winch. This was a great piece of eductation for Myself as I'd never done this sort of recovery before (and also I believe for Patrick). Chris (Mr Landy90) who was copiloting Patrick, has had some experience of this, and reminded to back the shackle off a little in case the pin bent. A suitable tree was found and it wasn't long before we were all on our way again.

And a little bit of video footage of Mark's ascent from my camera:
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/ ... I_3986.flv

Next was a quick stop for ice cream at ChewValley lake

Then onto Charterhouse and another friendly lane that ended with a lunch stop.

Another hillclimb just behind Chew Valley Lake was to be had after lunch. This time we left Mark's van at the bottom and Mark, Charlie and Toby joined me for the ascent/descent, which occured without incident. The clock was ticking on at this stage and I decided to head home, though the guys were eyeing up one last lane that took them back in the direction of Bristol.

In attendance:
SyncroPatrick and Mr Landy90
Sonic23
Mudlark, Charlie and Toby the dog.

A big shout to Patrick for putting in the time and effort sorting out the groundwork and planning the routes that we took and to Chris for lopping the branches and Camerawork, and Mark for that lovely bag of Muffins!

It looks like there's plenty more fun to be had, so I'm looking forward to the next bit of exploring and Mendip Magic.....

Rich

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Re: 3 Syncro Campers having some Mendip fun

Post by Mudlark »

Nice Pics Rich; and good to meet with you again too;

Always seem to lose all perspective of the steepness of the track in pictures!

Had a fun day with dry conditions and some easy to moderate lanes. Thinking of changing my handle to something along the lines of 'difflocksdoh' :oops:

Thanks to Patrick for organising the day and looking forward to the next one already.

Short clip from the cab here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVihQJaPD4
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

It was fun wasn't it! I was enjoying myself so much I forgot to take a single piccy.

I look forward to some footage of the three of us doing the same hill, as we each used different techniques.

We could easily spend a whole weekend there and have pub visits etc. Chris and I know from our youth club days, a secluded farm campsite with a fire pit, a couple of miles from Charterhouse. There are plenty more routes to explore, including some harder challenges and a possible site for a competition. :idea

Mendip Magic - bring it on!

p.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

syncrodoug
80-90 Mem No: 1053

Post by syncrodoug »

It would have been three campers and a DOKA if the body shop hadn't got the wrong end of the stick and actually extended my front wheel arches forward rather than backwards as requested...

He did such a good job that my road tyres were catching on lock

They are making amends tomorrow.
Glad you had a good day - look forward to the next outing!
80-90: 1053
Syncronauts: 15
T3 Syncro DOKA (makeover nearly finished)
T4 Syncro LWB Panel Van - now departed
T3 Syncro SIKA - deciding whether it's for the chop or worth saving

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

actually extended my front wheel arches forward rather than backwards as requested...

12" wheels anyone ? :D

Hope to see you next time Doug.
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Looks like a nice outing, its often these impromptu semi-planned local outings that turn out to be perfect day outs with lots of good discoveries (as in lunchtime pubs :wink: )

Condolences Doug, how very silly of them :oops:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

syncrodoug wrote:It would have been three campers and a DOKA if the body shop hadn't got the wrong end of the stick and actually extended my front wheel arches forward rather than backwards as requested...

He did such a good job that my road tyres were catching on lock

They are making amends tomorrow.

Frellin hell how on earth could they get the wrong end of the stick??? Must make clearer instructons next time...