What did you do for New Years Day?

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PC52
80-90 Mem No: 3428

What did you do for New Years Day?

Post by PC52 »

So while you were all lolling around nursing hangovers we thought it would be a good idea to join the local 4x4 club and have a green laning run out.

Nothing too extreme although there was a bit of concern regarding a small water crossing and how it would be and some of the ruts were rather deep.

So with a mixture of vehicles, Discoverys, Suzuki Vitaras, Landrovers, Nissan Terranos and Range Rovers. We met in a layby close to the beginning of the lanes and exchanged pleasantries - Only one innocuous comment being "Don't worry there are lots of Disco's here to pull you out when you get stuck!" She even said it with a smile on her face only for Sharon's reply of "Oh, we'll see."

So, the first group went out and what happened...... Yep got stuck, Who? The person who made the comment. :twisted:

1/2 hour later we were underway again. Actually for a first lane it was pretty well rutted, everything on the dash board became very re-arranged on the floor - must remember to de-clutter.

Temperature didn't get above freezing all day, The lanes were good, and the ground firm. It was quite fun watching the wild fowl ice skating on the frozen ponds, few rambling obstacles :roll: and one tractor hedge cutting :wink:

We had a trouble free day, no getting stuck, the only problem which was suffered was a landie with carb problems, not bad considering 16 vehicles turned out.
The small water crossing wasn't anything to worry about it was pretty low, although after a bit of rain you could see that it would become much more entertaining.

So Happy New Year to you all and see you all soon.

PS sware filter doesn't like f o r d and replaces it with ...
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan
1.9 TDI Doka project in progress

syncrodoug
80-90 Mem No: 1053

Re: What did you do for New Years Day?

Post by syncrodoug »

I took my dog for a long walk - saw quite a few Goosander on the Wye.
Started thinking about the new year and what good fun is to be had when I get the T3 back on the road!
Yes, a Happy New Year for us all.....
80-90: 1053
Syncronauts: 15
T3 Syncro DOKA (makeover nearly finished)
T4 Syncro LWB Panel Van - now departed
T3 Syncro SIKA - deciding whether it's for the chop or worth saving

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

PC52 wrote:
So, the first group went out and what happened...... Yep got stuck, Who? The person who made the comment. :twisted:

:rofl love it :rofl

Your lanes are miles different to our local ones. The ones round our way are really full of trees and the aim of the game seems to be get through the lane without gouging the hell out of the side of your van. It usually takes about half an hour to do a mile if your lucky, but that is what i like about them. It took me 40 minutes to do a mile today but i was on my own so lacked the support and confidence you get in a group and got stuck between trees a few times. A few of us had a little mini meet today in wildest Surrey, Box hill to be exact.

Thought i would get up early and do a couple of green lanes before i headed up to the mini meet at Box Hill. There is one on the way up that i had never done before and i guess i shouldn't have done a lane i have never done before on my own as if i got stuck i would be knackered.

As it goes it was really easy going at the start but was a bit more of a challenge at the end when he trees really closed in and it was a bit of a b'stard toward the end. It took me 40 minutes to do a mile :shock: Got stuck a couple of times against trees but only the roof rack took the brunt of it,

Anyway got their in the end in one peace,

i enjoyed it and wish i had taken some pictures of the hard bits but i couldn't open the doors at the time and when your panicking a bit the last thing you think about is taking pictures. That's why its good going with other people i guess. Take this picture of Jake when he pulled the mushroom off his snorkel to get through some big trees and split his eyebrow open. Now he would never of thought of taking this if he was on his own depriving the rest of us of a good laugh :lol:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

PC52

Post by PC52 »

Nice one Jed,
We did a few lanes a while ago on our own, got well stuck, spent half a day digging ourselves out and a bit of damage- if we were with company it would of taken as long as a tow. As much as it's nice to take a drive out we would never do it on our own again.
There were a few lanes we did which CJ would describe as being 'fluffy', being the extremely long hawthorn needles and a few smash your wing mirrors against the side of your van lanes.
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

PC52 wrote: There were a few lanes we did which CJ would describe as being 'fluffy', being the extremely long hawthorn needles and a few smash your wing mirrors against the side of your van lanes.

Thats the ones i couldnt put it better myself. Nice to be out though.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

:D those are the fluffy lanes,we havnt been down the nasty ones yet :twisted:
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Pete and Sharon... same comments I got when i ptched up with the "locals"..... :lol:
Did you do the rounds at the punchbowl Jed???

We (or should that be I) drove the 675 miles back from France.... quiet roads... even the ferry was quiet.... not like boxing day on the way out... :roll:

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

I can see the draw of a sika for green laneing as its only the back that ever gets stuck.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

toomanytoys wrote: Did you do the rounds at the punchbowl Jed???

i have just finishing the ones between Reigate and Guilford and that will be the next area to do when konky gets back. They are building a big tunnel to go underneath their at the moment so i don't know how that will effect the area.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

We have finally given up on the syncro for driving on Dartmoor and got ourselves a Toyota Landcruiser. :lol:
As the oldest son was off beating the local shoot, Louise was working :roll: , I took the youngest and his new Toyota for some rock crawling on the Moors.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wIQIAVwCnQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

I took the youngest and his new Toyota for some rock crawling on the Moors.

So you put the music on to smother the sound of your son saying 'please dad, please let me have a go, its my turn; pleease!" :lol:

and i can clearly see an aftermarket for bolt on bodies in a style of your choosing !
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

syncrodoug
80-90 Mem No: 1053

Post by syncrodoug »

And on January 2 I got on my bike (MTB vareity) and recced a couple of lanes which look encouraging albeit a little fluffy in places but nothing that an experienced traveller of Devon lanes can't handle!!
I did plan to recce another one but lactic acid build up and a puncture prevented me from doing so - so that's Sundays ride sorted.
80-90: 1053
Syncronauts: 15
T3 Syncro DOKA (makeover nearly finished)
T4 Syncro LWB Panel Van - now departed
T3 Syncro SIKA - deciding whether it's for the chop or worth saving

PC52

Post by PC52 »

toomanytoys wrote::Did you do the rounds at the punchbowl Jed???

We (or should that be I) drove the 675 miles back from France.... quiet roads... even the ferry was quiet.... not like boxing day on the way out... :roll:

Could of done with a punch bowl, nearest this lot got to it was a clearing in the woods and a cold bowl of macoroni cheese - not a pub lunch in sight - yawn.
That's a fair drive Simon. Nice the roads were empty though especially doing that god awful Dover to home run (which always tends to be the longest part of the journey. Did you do the return trip in one?
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan

PC52

Post by PC52 »

syncrodoug wrote:And on January 2 I got on my bike (MTB vareity) and recced a couple of lanes which look encouraging albeit a little fluffy in places but nothing that an experienced traveller of Devon lanes can't handle!!
I did plan to recce another one but lactic acid build up and a puncture prevented me from doing so - so that's Sundays ride sorted.

Nice one Doug looks like another Wales trip this year. We spent the day playing with power washer. How's the syncro coming along?
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Yep.. only stopping was a 15 min pee and sandwich break and the ferry....... in an A4 2L Tdi so no fuel stops and 80mph cruise control... bloody seats are rubbish in it though... :roll:
Thank to portable DVD the kids were entertained most of the trip too... :ok
Total traveling time door to door 12 hours... bit less than the syncro would be and we would have had to stop for fuel in that too... (more power needed :D )