Wales green laning

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PC52
80-90 Mem No: 3428

Wales green laning

Post by PC52 »

Thanks to all involved

Cracking weekend as always, Good beer, company, weather was "pooh" (tempted by Syncro andy!!) Driving good, Strat Florida and then the mischief (group 2 ) got into on Sunday

AND THEN STUCK....

1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan
1.9 TDI Doka project in progress

sonic23
80-90 Mem No: 1158

Post by sonic23 »

Top weekend - even if Chris and I were just there for Friday night and Saturday day. Can't remember too much after the bottle of Port was finished on Friday night..... :lol:

Great to meet peeps and put faces to names.

We thoroughly enjoyed the driving - it was great to finally use the van for some offroading and get some confidence in it's capabilities. I hope we didn't slow everyone down too much.

We sustained a 'little' damage....but as Al said afterwards - 'It now looks like a real Syncro' :D ...plans are already in motion to rectify this thanks to the generosity of others.

Here's a few still photos. Chris also got about 20 mins HD video footage which i'll have to try and E D I T down.

cheers,
Rich

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

It went GREAT...

For late October having 11 Syncros and their crews on site was very good, Friday night was 'triffic around campfire, bit O'Moonlight, no wind, no rain, almost mild, and just like in summer the usual culprits were still basting around the embers at 3 am, (allegedly). Richard's Port soon disappeared around midnight, obviously good stuff as no hangover - ditto Al's Jura single malt Saturday night!

2 groups did a few minor lanes then Strata Florida Saturday, about as wet as you'd want it, depth-wise, challenging occasionally, but a great area to drive through once in your life!

Wet Sat night, but after grub and freshening up (!), the Syncronauts shelter tent took 12 or 13 at times, again till 3-00 am. I was told :wink:

Dry Sunday and some superb local lanes over to Lake Vyrnwy, taking in some very pretty but wet tracks, a river crossing with a fair current flowing and some un-recced stuff that had us first walking a long boggy climb out when we realised there was definitely no going back!

... wind and a bit of rain arrived again as we finally got tent down and departed campsite 5-30.

Thanks to Aidan and Doug for suggesting this meet and getting some lanes recce'd for us.... think everyone thought it well worthwhile and that we should do it at this time of year again - just when these cracking Welsh lanes are at their most challenging without being un-passable?

Attendees:
Doug; Aidan; AndyMc; MattFlint; Dai; AndyTyke; Rich H & Chris; Mick (Mick&Tracey); Pete&Sharon&Andrew&Georgia; Al H; Us

PS. Loads of raptors swooping and soaring about, high and low, incredible amount of roadkill too, mainly pheasant...
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

more pics please ?
did you do the lane 5k NW of the north end of Strata ? you start off by going over the humpback bridge near the forestry (or you can drive thr the river via the f**d) ?

Believe SF is listed as due for consultation to be TRO'd, along with many ithers in the area - the recent death will no doubt fuel the antis campaign.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Looks like a great weekend that. I couldnt make it due to being waisted with Jake and Ollie in Belgum most of the weekend. Whos is the demountable, whats it like? I would have loved to have a look around it and in it :D

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

sonic23
80-90 Mem No: 1158

Post by sonic23 »

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

Good to see you having fun with your van Rich.
Russel

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

Looked a better weekend than I had! Driving round the yorks dales trying to find a cave not too wet to visit, then I broke the windscreen wiper, both of them. I think a syncro revival is in order, which is just what I have in mind.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

PC52

Post by PC52 »

jed the spread wrote: Whos is the demountable, whats it like? I would have loved to have a look around it and in it :D

jed

That'll be Matt Flint, interesting Dutch import he has there.
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Jed wrote:I couldnt make it due to being waisted with Jake and Ollie in Belgum most of the weekend.

Much different than being wasted in Wales?

Ah, yeh, right, doesn't rhyme as well...

Next event - Wasted in Wales it is then... see ya there?

Or Wikid Wales Weekend?

Whatever, don't forget that case of Orval you brought back for us all...

You did, didn't you? O-wise a truly wasted weekend in Belgium :)
Last edited by HarryMann on 20 Oct 2008, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

PC52

Post by PC52 »

says it all, guess where......
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

:lol: they had been there since the night before (2030hrs ish) 3rd vehicle took em to a BnB for the night and they came back the following day.Some chaps i know of started to recover the vehcles when the owners turned up.
Although someone was killed on SF a few weeks back , it isnt particularly technical to drive. Even at night , a set of standard headlights are enough to drive it.Didnt appear to be much damage to the sideslope to the left of the vehicles.
You make the rest of the story up ..............................

PC52

Post by PC52 »

Yeah, will say when we stopped at a pub near to the beginning of Strata the landlord had said about quite a tragic incident quite recently - but only came in on the back end of the conversation, so wasn't entirely clued up on that one.
Strat Florida was entertaining, something for everyone.
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

Discovery toppled off the bank just at one of the crossings on the south end.To recent for coroners so no true accounts .
By all accounts though 2 crossed succesfully and the 3rd must have got it wrong and got too close too edge of bank on a bad approach and bank gave way. Toppled in and crushed roof . Two got out but 17yr old girl in back died.Pics on the net but im not that goulish.

http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/en/news/2008/9/3/

pics of retards vehicles from your weekend

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

How on earth do you manage to turn it over on there....!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could have made it....... next time.....

Ah those pics were posted aboutthe same time I replied.. tried to not go in the deep water by the looks of it... but still why would you use the "upper bank" rather than the lower side........
Last edited by toomanytoys on 20 Oct 2008, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.