Wales green laning

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mick & Tracey
80-90 Mem No: 3830

Post by Mick & Tracey »

HarryMann wrote:eBay search for MOCAL or British make (avoid grey-boxed Chinese copies) - try to get new if poss. 19 row ideally, 1/2 BSP fittings prob. about best (I went mad and used 3/4"). £30 ~ £50 if lucky, they're £100 new... it's the hoses that'll cost unless you can find a tame cash source, about 13.5' and 14.4' required (about!). Adapter plate SP1 or OTSP1 from thinkautomotive http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_li ... fs_38.html

Air filter is high enough that hydraulicing last thing to worry about if water at rear gets that high (i.e. you'll be stopped in the deep by then anyway) :)

Cheers for cooler info. Will be sorting soon, along with mods to air filter piping and oil filter.

Agree about deep wading. I generally try to avoid (too much hassle with ingress), but have momentarily (in other vehicles) had deep water at the rear when exiting rivers, or having to reverse

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Your cone filter is pretty high up... as far as it can be got under the load bed, it's its size and the hot engine bay air that's more of a concern performance wise, as we said. VW feed the air intake from the n/s tunnel which itself is fed from the fwd sidepanel vent grille, and which tunnel is also usually reasonably insulated from the engine bay air by the sound deadening panel (on diesels). Petrol Doka take their air from the offside tunnel I believe

Ideal mod (other than cutting up into loadbed, which CJ and Andy Simpson did) is to run a 55~63mm pipe all the way into the locker, and fit the air filter in there, as high as possible (in the middle), which also keeps it more dirt and dust free. Bymodding the front sections of the load-bed through beams (longerons) Pete Pollard has ensured that cool clean air can enter down from the high vents just behind the rear door(s).
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

PC52
80-90 Mem No: 3428

Post by PC52 »

Slight correction there Clive,
I took a 70mm (internal bore) from the turbo straight into the locker. The pipe runs straight alongside the main chassis rail. It then goes into a big massive cylinder aircleaner (attached to the top of the locker). Only mod needed was to cut a 70mm hole to get the pipe into the locker, and another in the box section to feed the pipe, so the fresh air from the air scoops can be utilised.
Overall very happy with this and considering the dust it was chasing in the Pyrennees, it performed very well - compared to one installed in engine bay - completely blocked.
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan
1.9 TDI Doka project in progress

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

so the fresh air from the air scoops can be utilised.

= high vents just behind the rear door(s).

I see no scoops :)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncrodoug
80-90 Mem No: 1053

Post by syncrodoug »

Working backswards from the engine air intake, MAF is positioned on the platform behind engine bay (DOKA) then through the bulkhead into the locker where I've mounted air filter then up through the load bed with the intake on the cab roof.
There's also an air intake on the roof for the intercooler which is also to be found in the locker albeit in a separate compartment.
80-90: 1053
Syncronauts: 15
T3 Syncro DOKA (makeover nearly finished)
T4 Syncro LWB Panel Van - now departed
T3 Syncro SIKA - deciding whether it's for the chop or worth saving

PC52
80-90 Mem No: 3428

Post by PC52 »

HarryMann wrote: I see no scoops :)

Must get secretary to type the correct information
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan
1.9 TDI Doka project in progress

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

my orange pick up had a tractor precleaner filter sticking out of the load bed,cj.
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

Mick & Tracey
80-90 Mem No: 3830

Re: Wales green laning

Post by Mick & Tracey »

Can anyone pm me our route details or remind me of the start point? Need to get out for a little jaunt.