Devon lanes & touring weekend - thanks

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Devon lanes & touring weekend

Post by lloydy »

v-lux wrote:Not going to be able to make it now after all.... :roll:

Work has been pushed forward a few days so its wiped the weekend out completely. Boooooo
Have a great time (you cant fail to be fair) i really miss Devon lanes!

See you all soon :ok
and there was me thinking i was going to see you in the flesh............
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Shedlugger
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Shedlugger »

HI,

I will be coming down on Saturday but in my Nissan X-trail which i do greenlane. I want to see and experience Syncro's as i wish to buy a Camper in a few years.

Not being before I will be carrying Softdrink and snacks to the party. Meat n bread for any BBQ. Not sure if i will stay the night (will through in a minitent)....???

I have AT2's and recovery straps (and yes a pathetic kinetic one too). CB onboard.

looking forwrad to it. to see my X-Trail greenlaning and water antics go to UTube and search 'Babeboo2528'

Shedlugger.

Shedlugger
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Shedlugger »

Also i have looking in the gallery for the 'idea of the lanes' but cannot find the photo's...

what Event nickname are they hiding under please...? it was mentioned 2007 would be good to look at...

ghop99
80-90 Mem No: 8299

Post by ghop99 »

Just got home from a brilliant weekend with the fellow syncronauts. This was our first club meet and was really chuffed with the warm welcome from everyone. Thanks to Clive and Jenny for a great tour and keeping us safe on the lanes yesterday. Hope to catch up with you all again soon. Greg, Becky, Sonny & Tallie x

PS If anyone finds a red toy oil can laying around let me know and i'll PP the postage to get it back us :ok
Classic Volkswagen Camper Hire in North Devon check out http://www.vwcamperhiredevon.com

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Well, had a great time.
Thanks to Jes for driving me around on the lanes, in a RHD 16" no less 8) Was good to catch up with people old and new
Took very few pictures, but here they are
can you see the van?

mrmule
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Post by mrmule »

Apologies for not saying farewell to most of you this morning. It was nice to finally put faces to names (albeit pseudonyms!). Looking forward to the next day out :)

Here's a few of my shots...

Luca having fun:

T6 Pure Grey Kombi DSG 150PS on Bilsteins
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Well, what a weekend! As above, a very warm welcome from all, and it was great to finally meet Clive and Jenny (had to buy a flippin' syncro to manage that - but sooooooo worth it!)

First off, it was a quick circle on the campsite to test the difflocks. Not been used since November, so wasn't expecting them to work first time. But they did!! Amazing. Both front and back did what VW designed them to do. Yippee!! We could drive the lanes. I was well and truly in the beginners group, never having been off tarmac before.

Boy - what these machines can do...truly awesome! I beg forgiveness from the God of VW for what I did wrong, and give thanks that Dave Hedgehog (my Sika) could do what was necessary to get us out of the grief I got us into. Only got stuck twice....Clive told me what to do the first time. I managed myself the second time. So ready to do some more.

Got a few photos and videos....if you are on FB a video is up.....more to come.

Thanks everyone for making us feel so very welcome, and looking after us so well. You gave me the confidence to do stuff I would never have thought I could do. I can honestly say I have been on 3 wheels at an angle of 45 degrees....possibly more!

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Top stuff. The campsite is a great find and as ever the banter and trading of stories/parts/experiences was worth the trip on its own. I can really recommend spending a day riding shotgun as it gives you a great perspective on how someone else approaches driving a syncro. Although on day 2 is was so overgrown at times it was hard to see anything. Thanks to Roger for the one hour reckie trip that lasted 5 :shock: Also great to have some company on day 2 as George Michael sat alongside. Got to see the amazing Blackborough House stately home cum scapyard ( have forwarded the for sale details on to you know who Clive :wink: ) and Neil and I took Andy up on his offer on a test drive in his etdi Sika. So refined and powerful it just felt like the right engine in the right vehicle, great work and a real treat to finally drive one :ok Having said that the JX in mine performed impeccably and even averaged a comfortably 55-60 on the way home with muds. Really got to do something about the gear linkage tho as those following in convoy were not feeling the benefit off road. Special Guests El-Vez & CJ dropped by for a cuppa :D. More power to this club and all who sail in her. Memory Maps - a revelation. Cheers :D

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

That all sounds good, and we specially enjoyed meeting all the newcomers to SyncroNauts and Devon meet. Missed the man that started it all's* visit as we had a big day on the Southern routes, some details of which hopefully won't go to press :) But nobody can say they didn't get a full day out and a whole lot of learning... and that includes the leaders!

You'll all be pleased to know that 8 groups went out in 6 vehicles Sunday, to Fingle Bridge and Dartmoor... we think we've found another cracking option for future years, nope, we know we have. Did it rain? By Devon it rained... Did we get a break when on the Tors? Yes it did... Did we have tea & cake at a lovely place? yes we did. Did we finish with a scree scramble to beat most climbs we ever do, in beauty as well as steepness? Yes we did. Did we find the narrowest of narrow old stone bridges and narrowest of gates at testing angles? No, we found two of each! Did we dDrive down off Dartmoor in a massive cloudburst? Ohhhh Yesss :run
Did we all clean up by splashing through deeply flooded roads? Yes, dripping footwells were testament to that!

*CJ, its becoming trad to do the Thurs night 2 4 £20 steak & wine @ the Wyndham Arms, next year maybe?
Jes... you didn't mention the Doombar :ok but we finished your SloeVoddy AND the SloeG last night, tough life isn't it
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

ghop99

Post by ghop99 »

Just finished putting this little video together of the weekend.

https://vimeo.com/47005646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!
Classic Volkswagen Camper Hire in North Devon check out http://www.vwcamperhiredevon.com

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

good vid :ok
liked that a lot

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

Great work .. :D
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

love that, the stills are really crisp.

sonic23
80-90 Mem No: 1158

Post by sonic23 »

That's a great video Greg. Love it!!! :ok

Rich

ghop99

Post by ghop99 »

Thanks guys.

I wished I had got a few more of the group on there but didn't want to offend people by being the newb with a camera up in peoples faces. Next time maybe!