ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW - Club Display Stand?

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW - Club Display Stand?

Post by HarryMann »

Seems we're not 4x4'ers at all, we're overlanders at heart ... :?:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

HarryMann wrote:Seems we're not 4x4'ers at all, we're overlanders at heart ... :?:

We love travelling,camping and bushcraft. At heart i'm a country bumpkin living in London.

I enjoy the pay and play sites, these have been great is showing us the Syncro's limitations or not as it may be. It also provides the oppertunity of meeting up with like minded people. Above all I love getting away from civilisation as much as possible.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
HarryMann wrote:Seems we're not 4x4'ers at all, we're overlanders at heart ... :?:

We love travelling,camping and bushcraft. At heart i'm a country bumpkin living in London.

I enjoy the pay and play sites, these have been great is showing us the Syncro's limitations or not as it may be. It also provides the oppertunity of meeting up with like minded people. Above all I love getting away from civilisation as much as possible.

If only there was a Syncro based web site with such content on it :lol:

I always have been Clive. Took me back to my first overland trip to Cape Town when I was slightly younger and in slightly better condition :shock: This was taken stood on the edge of Victoria falls,

This is the truck I lived off for the best part of 6 Months,

The road conditions varied quite a bit,

But you could always find something good to eat and a good view,

When I left Cape Town I spent the best part of four more years traveling all over the world, mainly out of a back pack, but I never forgot the many interesting overland vehicles from all over the world I met on the Trans Africa Trip. I have quite a few photos of them in the loft still.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

dash
80-90 Mem No: 10042

Post by dash »

Peninsulakid wrote: A guy called Austin Vince did an hour and a half on " How to make an overland adventure instead of a home movie" It was excellent. Really good tips.

He told me about a date for next years diary.

The Overland Adventure film festival. Sherbourne in Dorset, August 2013. He is running it, judging by his enthusiasm for off roading and filming it should be excellent. Will let you know the dates when he e-mails me. Could be an excuse for some lanes and a few beers.

Austin is an absolute legend. For those who haven't come across him before, he and a bunch of mates rode round the world on small trail bikes and made a film about it long before Ewan and Charley - unsupported, unsponsored, unbranded, pre-mobile phones and internet. Given the budget they were travelling on, the quality of the film is amazing, and it's much funnier than the 'Long Way....' series as well.

He runs the Adventure Travel Film Festival with his wife, Lois Pryce, herself an accomplished overland motorcycle traveller and published author. I went along this year and it was a fantastic weekend. Will post some photos up later. Both the films they show and the speakers/presentations they arrange will blow your mind. There were a few T25s there this year, but no syncros. A lot of other interesting vehicles, two-, three-, and four-wheeled.

I went to the Adventure Overland show on the Saturday. Nice day out. Did have a nosy round all your vans, but I'm not great at introducing myself to random strangers, so, erm, sorry I didn't say Hi. With hindsight, should have recognised Aidan's van, as I've seen it and dealt with Aidan before. Oops.

I now have strange urgings for a bright orange six-wheeled Pinzgauer :D

dash
80-90 Mem No: 10042

Post by dash »

Oh and the date for next years Film Festival is 16th-18th August.

Tom Mc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Tom Mc »

Well, where do I start?

First and foremost, I have to say it's been a while since I met a bunch of enthusiastic characters like the Syncronauts. You only have to read your posts to see that, let alone see you in person. I’m only sorry I couldn’t share a beer or three with you and chew the fat, but I hardly had time see the folk from my own forum ( http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), let alone the rest of the clubs.

The trouble is, second to the actual organisation and logistics of running an event of this scale, the traders are the priority … although I’d prefer it to be the clubs and Display Vehicle owners, but due to financial constraints it never works out that way. I suppose money talks, for without the traders I couldn’t afford to run the show at all; that’s life!

I know for a fact that you and your vehicles were very received by the ‘regular’ 4x4 crowd, something I mentioned beforehand. I said “your presence would open a few eyes” – it did!

Glad you enjoyed it and found inspiration, we enjoyed having you. One thing’s for sure, I won’t be holding another 4x4 event without inviting you!!!

By the way HarryMann, you’re dead right mate. The showing by the trekking and mountain bike crowd was non-existent. The National Mountain Bike Association were due to be there, only apathy reined supreme so they opted out at the eleventh hour, and the trekking travel mob weren’t interested from Day One. You can lead a horse to water …

Again, well done you lot, and thanks for the kind words. Your attendance was a breath of fresh air to us Land Rover nuts, exactly as it was to you comparing ADVENTURE OVERLAND to the VW rallies; nice one!

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Thanks Tom,

And well done from us, we obviously all enjoyed it and already looking forward to next year. I did notice that there was a real Bushcraft Tracker chap there in the far corner and we also noted some charities being represented;

The Team Chaos (Macmillan cancer charity

and the Parrot Rescue UK tent nearby

Quite surprised to find them there, but pleasantly :ok

Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Oh, and for those wanting a bit more info on the seminars...

Some info on the seminars is here on Tom's Overland website

although I think this was the initial list of intended seminars and maybe not the final as given in that order on the day.

They were a great feature... will no doubt be packed next year.

Also opened my eyes to the US Overland Magazine a copy of which Toby Savage let me have... :ok

Syncronaut No. 1

Tom Mc

Post by Tom Mc »

Some background -

Team Chaos, run by a mate of mine called Colin Batchelor, only exist to raise funds for the Macmillian Cancer Charity.

As for Parrot Rescue UK, every show you go to has a 'birds of prey display', I thought I'd be different. As opposed to eagles, kestrels, hawks and owls, my reasoning was that parrots and cockatoos fitted in with the travel theme of ADVENTURE OVERLAND far better - Amazon an' all that. It just worked!

Besides, I used to say that birds of prey were great as an attraction for the kids, but then I realised adults are fascinated by them just as much.

I said, "no tongues"!!!

graysworld

Post by graysworld »

Well I never heard of this one http://www.adventuretravelfilmfestival.com/uk-festival/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so maybe it is a chance for us to meet up again as it is only up the road for me and we will be back from Spain. :D

Graeme

Iveco Daily 4x4
Iveco Daily 4x4

Tom Mc

Post by Tom Mc »

Austin Vince is the character behind the Adventure Travel Film Festival, and if anyone has ever heard him speak at a lecture or seminar, once seen never forgotten. I would imagine his film festival would be a real laugh.