Camperjam syncro ride

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Holydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2605

Camperjam syncro ride

Post by Holydiver »

Big thanks to Rich for a ride in his Syncro at the weekend :ok :ok I'm totally hooked now

Got to say I loved Dai's Syncro
Atlantic westy 91, Golf mk1 cabrio and looking to add a syncro to the list :-)

sonic23
80-90 Mem No: 1158

Re: Camperjam syncro ride

Post by sonic23 »

No worries Gary - I'm glad you enjoyed it.....sounds like sometime soon we'll see you with a Syncro :wink:
Rich

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Yup, two very nice but different vans yet petrol-powered by similar 2.5 litre Subaru units...
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

bikermike87
80-90 Mem No: 7559

Post by bikermike87 »

I'm soo gutted I didn't find the Syncro Obstacle course, I was walking everywhere behind the fairground on Saturday morning.

I did find the Syncro club camping and got to see Dai's van, what a beauty.

I did also see a really nice WBX6 van, it was a dark goldish colour, it sounded soooooo good.

I really want to come to a syncro event, just worried my off road driving skills are not very good and my van might develop issues I could really do without. I'm learning as I go, but find it hard with just an allocated parking space in the middle of a city centre!

I do use my AWD, I just tend to wimp out of the deep / tricky stuff
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV

Marlow
80-90 Mem No: 11089

Post by Marlow »

I missed out on the obstacle course myself, too. Woke up sunday morning and everyone was gone :) Then again, my T4 doesn't have the ground clearance yet.

Anyhow. The whole campsite was an obstacle course in itself :) The Syncros felt right at home.

And must say, Dai's Syncro really is a stunner.

It was really nice with the diversity in the Syncro camp. Even the french mixed well in disregardless the language barrier.

/M
'99 VW T4 Syncro (Seikel), '89 VW LT40 4x4
80-90 member: 11089 - Syncronaut: 201

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes Mike, it was an off-road course, in the woods, not an obstacle course as such... was good to the degree of being challenging in places. The gates were where the dodgems parked their massive articulated motor homes, and half a dozen syncros were the clues, on the rhs of the road up to the 'Home is where you park it' area. Next year then... :wink:

The WBX6 is now a 2.5 Subaru, though the owner still retains the original engine

Syncronaut No. 1

smiffyluvsdubs
80-90 Mem No: 3158

Post by smiffyluvsdubs »

And it was on sunday with direction signs and everything :ok
And this terrifying enemy surfaced,
as such enemies often do,
in the seemingly most innocent and unlikely,
of places...

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

Aaaaa, that's a shame. Maybe next year. I will have to get myself to a syncro meet and get someone to sit in my passenger seat to egg me on :oops:

It was a 2.5 scooby :mrgreen: Was it a 14" or 16" standard? I noticed it had 16" alloys on, so I pressumed 16.

I might start a very long saving kitty for a 2.5, it sounded soooo good, would love to know more about it.

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

bikermike87 wrote:Aaaaa, that's a shame. Maybe next year. I will have to get myself to a syncro meet and get someone to sit in my passenger seat to egg me on :oops:

I can recommend Nick Footstuck and Ashley , both members on here. Worked for me at my one and only meet thus far. Roll on Devon!

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Mike, just get to a meet. You'll be give tuition. Everytime I go to a syncro meet I learn a heap of new things. Everyone has the same interest and are really helpfull and friendly.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Doing circuits of the offroad course in my pickup with one or two punters next to me was the one of the highlights of the weekend as was the great weather we had on Sunday. As Clive said its was challenging in places requiring both difflocks and full power, with the added spice of trees, rocks etc. close to the line in many places. Going was fairly sticky clogging even my MTs noticeably after having to spin all wheels on a climb. Punters were very friendly especially the couple who placed their two young lads in the passenger seats and into my care :shock: I think I did say something like 'on your head be it' in a joking sort of way but he seemed happy enough. Plenty of pics and vids (I assume) were taken so some good action scenes should be forthcoming. Miles ?? :wink:
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Holydiver

Post by Holydiver »

Couple more photo's :D

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:Mike, just get to a meet. You'll be give tuition. Everytime I go to a syncro meet I learn a heap of new things. Everyone has the same interest and are really helpfull and friendly.

Yeah I will have too, only had chance to meet a couple of syncro owners and I would really benefit from some more advice.

Holydiver

Post by Holydiver »

I had a good look and chat to Dai’s about his Syncro, and what I found interesting is all the subtle modification he’s done that you first don’t notice, like removing the recess on the rear O/S panel where the side door would run on a LHD. This was just one of many and shows a lot of planning and thought when into the rebuild of this van.

I found the weekend very fulfilling as for the last 3 – 4 years I’ve been having thoughts of getting a Syncro, but can’t bring myself to sale my Atlantic, but after the ride in Rich’s and chatting to others it is possible to convert my van, so my new plan will be to find one with a rough body which I could use for a short time just to check everything mechanical works, before stripping it and converting mine.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Holy smoke diver...

As much as we all love our Syncros, most would advise a few nights sleeping on it, before doing anything irreversible to a nice Atlantique. And cheap syncros don't come with tip top running gear usually either... maybe work through a few other options first, that's a very big step.

But keep looking for a syncro, all the same, Paul Jebiga's got a nice one for sale :wink:

Syncronaut No. 1