Has everyones carb just failed?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sunray
80-90 Mem No: 7271

Has everyones carb just failed?

Post by Sunray »

I need my carb reconditioning, its OK but starting is a pain.

Gave them a ring, can you recon it? Yes, no problem. How long you taking. Oh about 8 weeks.

8 weeks! :shock:

So I'm going to have to put up with it, I'm using it loads in the next 10 weeks and the alternative is a tent.

>No<

Its OK once its running and doesn't stall once after a min or two's running, just a bitch to start, the auto choke doesn't seem to be working. When the summer is over, hope the garage I take it to will let me leave it there for two months!

Anyone got a working Pierburg 2E3 they can lend me while I'm waiting?
1989 1.9 Petrol Autohomes Kamper

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Has everyones carb just failed?

Post by kevtherev »

Checked the choke operation?
Take off the air duct and look at the square flap that is at the top of the venturi
when cold it should be shut
with the engine running there should be a 3 mm gap.
When you rev the engine the flap should open slightly more.

If it doesnt then the choke pull down unit has failed and the engine is over fueling

starting proceedure is press the pedal once remove your foot and crank. It should start and rev up to 2000 rpm once the pedal is touched it will settle to about 1200
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Sunray
80-90 Mem No: 7271

Post by Sunray »

kevtherev wrote:Checked the choke operation?
Take off the air duct and look at the square flap that is at the top of the venturi
when cold it should be shut
with the engine running there should be a 3 mm gap.
When you rev the engine the flap should open slightly more.

If it doesnt then the choke pull down unit has failed and the engine is over fueling

starting proceedure is press the pedal once remove your foot and crank. It should start and rev up to 2000 rpm once the pedal is touched it will settle to about 1200

Brand new engine, existing carb, he spent a few hours messing trying to sort it out to set the mixture correctly. Says it needs work as the choke isn't working. It runs fine once its running, smooth power delivery, doesn't stall or anything, slightly fast idle, just starting it is painful.

I can live with that over a tent.

Once the season is done I'll get it sent off for recon.
1989 1.9 Petrol Autohomes Kamper

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Choke not crucial and Roger Ball does a fast turnaround on throttle flap rebushing (see carb section). That's about the only bit that wears. All you need then is a gasket kit and another choke mechanism.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Evsi
80-90 Mem No: 10052

Post by Evsi »

Someone is selling a Weber conversion in the for sale section - Just do away with the Pierburg filth..
It's not rust, they're heat blisters....

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Evsi wrote:Someone is selling a Weber conversion in the for sale section - Just do away with the Pierburg filth..
Search and you will see countless posts advising people not to fit webbers to T25's. Total waste of time and money

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

After 25 years working on v-dubs across the range, all I can say is Webbers can be made to work but they're often problematic, don't really match and I've removed way more than I've ever fitted. Many fit them thinking they'll get more performance and in a few rare cases, you can, but on the whole you'll be spending many many hours trying to find some kind of compromise getting them to run right. Twin dellortos, something like that possibly but a webber is as good a replacement as a 009 for a stock dizzy (ie - not). Still, the myths persist.

Plus, its about getting the engine to wheeze better and you need to apply that throughout, not just throwing more petrol in.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Evsi wrote:Someone is selling a Weber conversion in the for sale section - Just do away with the Pierburg filth..
Have to disagree there mate
Simon Baxter tested the theory that a webber conversion would be easier.. Turned out worse...poor economy and power was the result after extensive faffing about on a rolling road.
Pierburgs were fitted as OE choice by many manufacturers not just VW.
The pierburg offers the best single carb choice on such a long inlet tract.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)